Team 9

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by kskcheche, Aug 25, 2012.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By the way - that first picture you posted is fantastic! What a view - makes me want to skip out of the office these next two days and pick up and go now. I will have to wait my turn I suppose.

2. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amazingly enough that property with the house and lake is for sale! 1300 acres..... As far as how to hunt, well...... its tough to say the least for us flatlanders. Hunt near water (preferably small holes that are sucludded for the big boys) and hunt ridge flats. If you can look at a topo of the property look for pinches, saddles, steep cliff faces. Always hunt the leewind side and usually a third from the top of the ridge. Basically the wind will flow across the windward side up to the peak and roll over the leeward side and start tumbling a third from the top. This is called a thermal tunnel.... a buck can walk just that path and know exactly whats on both sides of the mountain without traveling all over. Hope this helps a little.

3. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Thats great information - might need to draw that out before I fully understand it and then convincing my hunting buddy long time hunter I know what I'm talking about a whole different battle. How much that piece of property goin for? Wanna go in half's on it?? Lol

4. polecat_will

polecat_will Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Season starts here Sept. 15, and it can't come soon enough!! Hoping to do a little dove hunting before but hurricane Issac might be putting a hold on those plans... And yes East St. Louis is about as dangerous as it comes in the U.S.

5. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Twitch.... its disgustingly cheap. I think they're asking $450,000 which is about $350 an acre if I recall. If my job wasnt two hours away I'd sell my place in town and move in a heartbeat! Theres an apple/peach orchard on the backside of the property as well.

6. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Rutin, how about an update on your old bag lady theif?

7. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright some trailcam shots...
    My Freaks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now my Studs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    kskcheche- As far as the lady that stole my trail cam.... I have a mediation at the city prosecutors office on Sept. 18 where she can either return it or pay the cash value. If she doesnt do either then i will prosecute her and add some paperwork to her background. I feel im being more than fair giving her the opportunity to return it and not be charged with tresspassing but unfortunately some people never learn.

Great bucks by the way!!!

9. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys so on the 9th I will probably still be in KY - hopefully not, but more than likely! That said on the 9th I am supposed to report who has NOT cheked in and that is looking like quite a few at this point. I am going to have limited to no internet access in this remote part of the country. Can someone please post the names of those who didn't check in for me?!

BTW good looking photos KSK!!

10. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the first 3 days in KY are gonna be raining pretty good. Hopefully it'll knock the heat down and not mess with the movement!

11. ArchArrow123

ArchArrow123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I'm awake now. Checking in for Team 9.
    Been out of town on business so sorry for the late post. I see we have at least two others on our team from the great state of Missouri. My name is Clay and I'm from Kansas City, MO. I'm fortunate enought to hunt on my neighbor's properties Just south of Clinton. Last year I let the bucks walk and it seems to be paying off this year. All of my shooting last year was on video. So far this summer I've captured 3-10 pointers although only one will score a tad over 150. Several 8 pointers too. I'll post a few pics when I get a chance.
    Twitch, sounds like your the man to lead the team. No problem there.
    We planted a few food plots this year. Planted a drought tolerant corn that came up pretty well (and it was freak'n dry!) but hasn't produced much. It's about 7 feet tall, nice and green. All the other corn in the county was dead and has already been harvested. The beans we planted didn't come up so 2 weeks ago planted wheat. We've had a little bit of rain so i'm guessing it's trying to push up. Might just have a mixture of wheat and beans! Today is actually the first day of real rain that we've had all summer (in the metro area of Kansas City), seriously. Thanks to Hurricane Isaac . The sweet corn we planted for ourselves was overtaken by the weeds earlier this summer so that was a failure. The other small plots of assorted 'stuff' is starting to come up pretty well too.
    I look forward to hearing from everyone on the team here. Sounds like we have a great group.

12. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    HEY HEY!!! Welcome! Glad you made it, I will get you checked in once I get back from the local establishment.

13. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I made it down to KY. This morning sit was a bust bc of rain and temps. Temps look like they are going to stay fairly high and rain is off and on bc of the hurricane on the east coast. Hopefully tonights hunt will be better. Im not expecting any bucks to come in during daylight right now and especially with the moon phase the way it is, so tonights hunt may just be a doe hunt if the footage is good.

14. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Keep us updated, I leave tomorrow for Kentucky. First hunt will probably be Tuesday evening - we will do some scouting on Tuesday since we have never stepped foot on the land.

I got my Muddy Outfitter Hang-on hung about 37 feet up in the air of a huge *** tree that overlooks my food plot that is of oats, clover, baraccis mix - we have had to deal with a pretty good drought this summer and some of the spots on my food plot really didn't come up very well - so I spot seeded on Friday and we got the rain from the hurricane as well... I will probably not step foot on the land until the week prior to hunting season to check the cams and that sort of thing.

I will try and keep you guys updated on my hunt. The plan is to try and focus in on bucks the first 3 days or so and depending on how many deer we are seeing we might change our focus. But having never killed a buck with a bow, if a decent 6 or 8 comes in he's probably going to be on the ground!

15. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Counting down the days for the Ohio Season. Checked camera this weekend and it had broken but here are the images I have of some the deer I am looking for this fall. PICT0163.jpg PICT0057.jpg PICT0060.jpg PICT0105.jpg

16. ArchArrow123

ArchArrow123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CMT, so what broke on your Wildgame camera? I have 3 of them that take pretty decent pictures but had to re-glue the plastic tabs that hold the ends of the batteries terminals in place. I also ended up just adding an external 6V battery to the so they last the entire season now. Pretty sweet.
    Season starts in 10 days in Missouri. Focusing on work at the office is getting a bit difficult!

17. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the lcd went out. So I returned it and bought a covert camera very happy.

18. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting trip ended early fellas with little hunting (about 4 or 5 hours worth) and more of a run-around than I ever could have imagined. It's a long story - but long story short, private land came apart on us and we had to make a quick decision rather than wait on a phone call that finally came today around noon, little late - we had already packed up and headed to some public land. Difficult to hunt public land that you are not very educated about. When you don't even know the county that you are sleeping in the woods in... That's not really what we had in mind. Saw a few deer during the morning hunt, then it got hot - about 90 before Noon and we decided to cut our losses and head home. We might go back before the end of the month if it cools off.

19. archery goon

archery goon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    archery goon checking in finaly...just came home from taking the wife and girls to the beach and have been working long hours last couple days due to a new assignment at work. Glad to be on the team and ready to get this thing started up. I will be hunting Ohio and SWPA.

20. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see some guy making it in! What part of OH CMT & Archery Goon? I live west of Columbus out by Plain City so I hunt mainly central ohio. Def got some nice bucks CMT, Love the brows on the one!

KY was a bust for me.... rained its a$$ off everyday I was there. Hunted one full day and between the lightning and hurrican winds and rain I never saw a deer. Got plenty of time to get back, plus its only 2 hrs from the house.

Got some history with a buck in IN that has been showing back up and I'm looking forward to getting back out there after him. I passed him two years ago as a 2.5 yr old 7 pt, last year at 10 yards on film for 10 mins (130" 8pt), now this year he is back to a 7 pt frame with a small inner tine/drop tine. If we cross paths this year, this 4.5 yr old WILL die!