Team 9 - Nockin' Niners

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks brother!! Still loving the PSE stinger too! :hail::hail:

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the camo tape idea.

I'm also intrigued by the seat. The Viper Elite has a similar style seat but it's more of a course fabric instead of webbing. I've been tempted to try to see if I could buy that style of seat for the other Vipers. That seat might be a good way to go.

I had forgotten the name of them, but I actually have two of those third hand bow holders stashed away in my hunting room that I never installed because it didn't look like they would allow the stand to nest together the way I like to carry it. I'll have to give them a try, although they won't work on the Viper Elite because of the round tubing it's made from. It sure would be a lot easier than having to screw in the EZ hangers I use.

I've never felt the need for those kind of tether straps while using a Viper. Just as long as the top and bottom have the standard tether I'm good.

3. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry for the delayed check in. I was up in northern WI starting some bear baits. John Herrmann here. Live in central WI. Looks like a pretty good team we got. Always helps to have Decroo as well. He's busy as hell right now cause their antelope season started on 8/15 so I can check him in as well. Hoping to shoot a big buck or 2 or 3 this year and contribute to the team for a change. Hunting WI, IL and Kansas this year so should have some chances. Not on the forum very often so be patient with me. Good luck all!

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:

Welcome aboard!! I think we were on the same team as last year, or the year before.

Johnny Miller likes this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys Bill from NC here. 51yo and an IT consultant. I was up hiking the Appalachian Trail with my oldest son before his college classes start next week. We wrapped up the trip early due to incoming weather. Did 60 miles in the last 3 days, and yesterday was a 5000+ calorie burn, so I'm a bit whipped.

The AT trip was a shake down for a CO trip next month and a scouting trip for fall bear (and/or deer if the opportunity presents itself) in western NC.

I'll be hunting NC for white trail and our season starts 9/9.

Mid-Sept CO I hope to also hunt mule deer, but finances just got a bit tighter. 5 kids in college this fall semester and one of my daughters just got engaged :o So, worst case the CO trip will be more education for western hunting and I'll be a Sherpa to hopefully help some guys haul out an elk and a mule deer.

Cheers!

LittleChief and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Ok the deed is done! Posted in the team name thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye1 likes this.
  7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Joe, I was just taking a closer look at the stabilizer straps and I have a couple of questions about them.

When you take the stand off the tree to pack it out, do you disconnect the stabilizer straps to make it easier?

My first Viper just had a heavy piece of cord tied to each section as a tether strap and I absolutely hated taking the thing off the tree and packing it up with the top and bottom tethered together. I now use a tether strap with a clip that lets me disconnect the tether during setup/takedown and it makes packing it up very quick.

Second question: Once you get to climbing height and cinch down the stabilizer straps, do you wrap up the excess or just let them flap in the wind? There's probably no need for it, but I refuse to have anything flapping in the wind that might draw attention to my location. When I'm putting my stand on the tree I even go to the trouble of cinching the carry straps all the way down, wrapping the loose ends around the base and tie them off.

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I went ahead and ordered one of the Hazmore Silent Seats. I have got to try one. I plan on going ahead and installing one of the Bow Holders and see how the stand nests together.

9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Mornin!!

To answer your first question, yes they have a little cinch buckle so the strap slide right through.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second: the excess does blow around in the wind. What I have done, because that annoys me, is I take an elastic band, cut it and tie it around the side bar. Once I have an arrow knocked and I'm sitting down hunting I take the excess and roll it up nice and neat and slide it underneath the elastic band.

The bow holder does make it harder to pack the way the instructions show you how to pack the stand. I never liked the way the instruction showed us how to do it, it seem too complicated and too many steps.

This is how I pack the stand.
    The bottom peace lays on the ground flat.
    The top piece I turn it around upside down like so....

[​IMG]

I then placed the top piece on top of the bottom piece, and it nestles in really nice.

[​IMG]

I then use the stabilizer straps, to secure and the top piece to the bottom piece.

[​IMG]

I then take the factory supplied cinch strap...

[​IMG]

And wrap it around the two angle pieces of the top and bottom piece of the stand.

[​IMG]

This keeps the stand tightly packed, and no chance of any moving parts to make noise.

It does make for a bigger profile on your back, but makes extremely easy for unpacking at the base of the tree in the dark, and once the hunt is over. Less steps involved.

The bow holder does stick out from the side, and it has gotten caught on a few things. But more than makes up for it, with not having to deal with the tangled bow rope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also recommend getting a better carrying system if you haven't done so already. I would recommend the system I have, but they are no longer making it. You can find one on eBay probably. Or you can use the Molle II shoulder straps and kidney belt.

The kidney belt is the key. It takes the weight off of your neck and shoulders and places it on your hips. It's incredible.

I walk about a mile and a half in the woods to get to my hunting areas. I walk very slow to avoid working up a sweat. I walk in usually wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Even in the middle of November when it's 20° LOL!
    I use bungees to keep all my cold-weather gear packed on my stand and get dressed at the base of the tree. The carrying system
    Makes this as comfortable as it can be.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    LittleChief likes this.
  10. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Hey guys been busy traveling for work and stuff trying to get caught up with things.

My name is Nate I am 26 live in West Central WI. I am a structural drafter and I also raise Gamebirds - Chukar, and Bobwhite Quail. It has been a super busy year for me with having moved last fall and having a new baby on July 10. She has been wonderful and it's fun to watch my 2 year old step into his big brother role.

I do mainly public land hunts here in Wisconsin and let's just say I am due for a decent buck. I generally hunt pretty hard in the fall chasing them. I do have a four year buck streak going on but nothing big. If I have a buck below me and it's getting close to gun deer season it becomes time to fill the freezer and feed the family.

I'm really getting the itch to get out hunting but I really missing preparing myself for A Colorado elk trip like I did last year and had a blast.

I see I got some catching up to do with chat so when I'm feed out a bottle I will be sure to enjoy chatting with you all

11. eye1

eye1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! on the new baby girl
    They grow up quick, enjoy every minute

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry I'm late... I got Johnny's text and am checking in. Looking forward to a good season, we start in a couple weeks. Good luck to all of you guys!

JGD and Swamp Stalker like this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard Dustin!

14. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    So who's out shooting today?

15. eye1

eye1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to be in a 3d'shoot today, but unfortunately was called into work:(

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday was a busy day. Two weekends ago I had 60 pound limbs put on my Heli-m. While I do have a shop that is only 30 minutes away, I won't give him (or his ego) my business unless it's absolutely necessary, so I had it done at Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart, Arkansas where I bought the bow. It's only 30 minutes from our hunting cabin in Hazen.

Since then, when I first draw the bow after it's been sitting for around 15 minutes there was a very audible pop coming from the bottom limb. It would only do it on the first shot after sitting for a while. Not good, of course, for a hunting situation.

Yesterday I got up early and a friend and I drove back to Mack's . Jody Smith, who is really good, broke the bow down and lubed everything he could. Of course, it didn't do it there at the shop. I drove back to the cabin, nocked an arrow and drew. Sure enough, it popped again. So, back to Mack's we went. Jody broke it down again and this time he found a plastic bushing that was a little mangled. He replaced it and said that if that didn't fix the problem he would have to order new parts. With the Kentucky opener two weeks away, I was worried.

So, we made the drive back home and 2 1/2 hours later, I nocked an arrow and drew. Smooth and totally quiet. I shot a few arrows, waited a half hour and shot again with the same results. I shot one arrow an hour after that and the draw was quiet. It looks like we got the problem fixed.

Good thing. I didn't want to have to try to hunt with a bow that sounded like a loud knuckle pop on the draw.

17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see you checked in Dubbya!

18. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    These straps are great I put them on all my climbers now. My main climber is almost identical to yours

19. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Peaceful Sunday morning practice session. Love being able to shoot out to 70 yards plus at home this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Swamp Stalker and LittleChief like this.
  20. nsimmons

Dislikes Received:
    What seat is on this stand? I like it a lot better then mine. Mine has 4 nylon straps running across for a seat likely a homemade job...I bought the stand used