Team 9 - Nockin' Niners

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 14, 2017.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I rushed a shot (with gun and fortunately missed) a doe on Sat. While searching to validate no blood and no injured deer I found a nice hidden hardwood corridor amidst a pine thicket and found a nice scrape and good sized print. This corridor seems to be in the middle of two bedding areas that I've suspected are buck and doe based on how I've observed the deer entering/exiting the woods.

I may hang a stand in there on my way out...with the plan of facilitating sneaking back in with the bow. I also found a couple of other areas 1.5 miles away that I may also hunt, tracks seem small but meat is meat and a young buck or doe may fit the bill nicely with the gun.

A game cam may also find a home in there at the end of the season...just for future inventory.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Swamp Stalker and Jeffrey Jones like this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing on Monday. I’ll be headed out hunting in Rhode Island on Saturday. When is everybody going out again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be back in the saddle Fri morning just working thru the week hope you have a good trip

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LittleChief and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job on getting some bucks down. Unfortunately I have not been as skilled as you guys. I rattled this guy in from 200 yards and shot at him at 30 yards. He jumped my string. Lucky a clean miss so he is not wounded. I was not happy. RC1 11-6-17 864.JPG

5. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The night before I had this guy at 15 yards. If he would have taken 2 more steps I would have been in the picture. I think the doe that was with my busted me from behind 2 cedar trees. She took off and he followed.
    Buck.JPG

6. NebBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It has been a great season for seeing deer. I have been hunting since November 5 and finally came back today to get a little work done. All I have been thinking about is getting back out there. I head back out this Thursday with my son(12 years old-1st hunt) for rifle. We are on our property so I will be able to bow hunt in the mornings if he doesn't want to get up(don't see that happening). The orange army usually pushes deer to our place so he may tag out and I can hunt all I want.
    Good luck to those still hunting.

7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    hang in there!! keep at it and it will happen!!!

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to make it out Saturday morning. I have a six page psych report due Sunday night. I have the rest of today and tomorrow and Saturday to get it done.

9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was planning on going back to Kentucky this weekend to do a few sits during the last part of their gun season, but with the weather forecast showing a 90% chance of rain with 25-30 mph wind on Saturday I won't be going, especially since I'm still trying to cough up all of the crap out of my lungs from being sick in Missouri. I don't need to sit out in the cold, wet and relapse. I need to heal up.

That was a fun trip and it was successful for me but it was pretty miserable at the same time. I managed to finish all of the processing on the doe and the buck I killed and ended up with 67 pounds of meat. Not bad at all.

I may manage a sit or two behind my house Friday afternoon and maybe Sunday morning, but I may use my gun. I really enjoy hunting with my 45/70. There's never any tracking required. :)

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Little Chief.....

Could you add the time you shot your buck on your scoring thread and let me know when you do so? I need to let Fitz know, so he can add the score to our total!

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I already added it this morning when I saw the problem. It's on the scorecard thread now.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was pretty ill when I posted it.

12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    No worries at all!!

We are doing really good guys!

I know I'm good for another 50 points with a doe in RI..

keep it up!!

13. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't able to make it out this morning I had to work for another guy but sun morning I'll be out because I have to work sat morning also

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Finished my psych research paper.... I’ll be hunting in the morning! I’m out for meat and 50 points for us!!

15. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    And I overslept...... my brain is fried from working on the paper. Not to worry the Rhode Island season goes till January, and I will be out till I get one more

LittleChief likes this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I killed deer number 5 with my bow for the season this morning behind my house. My stand here is a 2 minute walk from my back door.

I've been wanting to take an older fawn for some hindquarter roasts.

I had sat from 5:45 am until 10:00 am and seen a spike at 10 yards and four does/fawns just out of range.

I had climbed down and walked up a steep point that has a view of our small back pasture. I still had my release on and as I topped the point I saw two white flags bouncing away.

I thought that I had blown it by getting down too soon, but I nocked an arrow and sneaked down an old trail towards the end of the point thinking I might still see them.

As it turned out they hadn't spooked. It was two young doe fawns romping in our back pasture. I'm sure momma was close by but I couldn't see her.

They started running back my way, so I drew and the first one got to around 20 yards. I stopped her and made a perfect heart shot. She didn't make it 15 yards before she fell over.

That's the first deer I've ever taken from the ground with my bow. It was pretty awesome.

It's been a great day.

17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add that it's been a great season so far also.

I've got the camper ready for a three day gun hunting trip to Kentucky starting Thanksgiving afternoon.

It's time to let my Marlin 45/70 do some work.

18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Damn you are tearing it up this year! Congrats! And you got it from the ground to boot!!!

I might be going out Thanksgiving morning, my wife has to work till noon. I’ll definitely be going out Friday as well. Looking for more meat and 50 points!

LittleChief likes this.
  19. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Morning everybody, and early happy thanksgiving to all!!

As it stands this morning we have 817 3/4 points amassed so far..

AWESOME JOB! and a big CONGRATS to those who have gotten it done!

we are within the top 5 or 6 as of right now in the standings.

We have two members who are maxed out on points right now, Little Chief, and Jeffrey Jones!!

For the rest of us, there are still points available for us to get, which means, we can STILL win this thing!!

This contest is just for fun, but it is still a contest, and I have to do the captain thing to motivate us!

I will be heading out friday and saturday to try and get the reamaining 50 points I can get. How about everyone else?

We have ten remaining team members (myself included) who can still get points. post up in the team thread if you havent checked in in awhile to let us know your status!! 50 points from a doe, can really really help in the end!!

Joe

Jeffrey Jones and LittleChief like this.
  20. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Hey folks we are in the midst of gun season here in WI. My wife did get a deer and I still have a little left from last year. I am likely done bow hunting for the year but we will see how the rest of gun season pans out for the family.