---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys things did not go as planned this morning. Had my shooter buck in at daylight chasin does. Almost had a **** at 15 yards but couldn't get it off. He went on his way and then I threw the kitchen sink at him grunting and snort wheezing. Ended up comin straight at me went under my stand looked up at me and didn't bust me. He went on chasin does again and ended up comin back in for a third time following the does to me. The doe he was chasin busted me but he was at 20 yards. Put the pin on him and what do you know I shoot high for the second straight year on my shooter buck. I just grazed the tip of him cuz there were real tiny fragments of meat on the arrow. Just goes to show you have to bend at the waist cuz in the heat of the moment I didn't. So now the question is do I move the stand and how far away should I move it. I only have a few acres to work with and I won't be hunting in here for at least a week I not more. Thoughts?

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well Chevy I'm not sure how long your season lasts but here in PA, it ends Monday. I think that buck will remember what happened at that spot so is move the stand maybe 30-40 yards in another area he is running.

Well yesterday was a pretty crazy day. Didn't get up for my alarm so I got in around 8. While I was putting my stand up two fawns came in but left without seeing me. After about half hour 4 doe came in within 40 yards. I would've taken one if I didn't move my stand.

Backed out of that stand because wind was pretty inconsistent. Started watching a small 8 and a small 6 chase a doe. After awhile I knew where they were going to go so I cut down the hill into a stream. They were running around and small 8 took off. Started grunting and bleating. Small 8 came back within 10 yards but I let him go. It was an exciting hunt.

Then last night I checked my camera to see the biggest buck I've ever seen around here. So I'm going leave that spot alone until Monday, which is the last day. I have two spots that will work with any wind. So we will see what happens. Hopefully get a chance at a doe tonight in the plot.

Good luck men.

3. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season goes til feb 3 I believe so I have plenty of time

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be nice... Lol

I'd definitely move it though. Maybe even try hunting on the ground from a natural blind?

Good luck.

I'm out on a plot now. Hoping to stick something but we will see.

5. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha it is nice but I didn't have time to move it today so I'm gonna be back up on it in the morning and see what happens. If the stands burned then ill move it if not ill let it roll

6. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a weird 5-point (looked like 4 + 1 spike on the other side!) come in last night at sunset, grunted him into 20 yards but he wouldn't stop in a good spot.

I could have given a small lead and shot but it was late and I didn't want to take a chance of hitting him poorly.

Cool to get him in range with the grunt call though! He was pissed!

Heading out tomorrow morning though. Seems day time movement is at a minimum with this warm spell we're having.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Some of you that have recently killed a deer need to enter a time on the scorecard. Hes not counting them until you put a time of kill in your post.

8. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Got some tinks 69 on sale at dlcks sporting goods. Got two packs of the one-use, heated scent pods and a bottle of the stuff for $15.

Now is the time to start looking for clearance deals before Christmas inventory gets in.

Gonna put the heated pods to use tomorrow morning.

9. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've updated kill time. I started thread by saying I killed right before dark. Didn't know he needed an exact time. Should be counted now.

Wish this cold spell would stick around a little longer. Good luck to all this week.

10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been out all day and haven't seen a single deer. Moved to my ground blind but it's 65°! So I doubt they'll be coming out until after dark.

11. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where's all the deer?
    I have oral surgery tomorrow so the earliest I'll be going out is Wednesday. Hopefully I'll feel good enough to .... oh yeah, I'll feel good enough!

12. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out most of the day saturday. I missed a doe just after sunrise. That was the only deer I saw while on stand.

13. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Say hello to my new decoy. $5 worth of cardboard, some black and white spraypaint and black Sharpie marker.

Lets see how this works!

uploadfromtaptalk1352807108336.jpg

14. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome Slider. I think I may have to make one and give it a try. :)

15. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

I have another one with the deer facing the other way. Hopefully I can set them up slightly apart from each other so it looks more realistic if a buck comes in an circles around the decoy.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Season is over for me until Dec 26th. This is the hardest Ive ever hunted and have been extremely close but not close enough. Couldve got couple small bucks but I let them go.

Really need to put the time in to scout this offseason. Stand placement wasn't great but learned a lot this year. Good luck to the rest of you still hunting. I can't wait to get back out there. Hopefully its starts to get cold, instead of this 60+ we have been seeing.

17. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right there with you Jake. A lot of hunts I've been out of range of deer. Right time, wrong spot I suppose. I've learned a lot more this year than last. Hunted a lot harder and put more effort in.

Weather should be cooling off again this week into next. I'm hopefully bowhunting 19th and 20th before the holiday. Then I might pick up my shotgun for a few days just to get the freezer full.

18. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had an appointment cancel last night so I got out last night. Ended up getting lucky and shooting this doe.

She came in following her fawn. I didn't get a chance to draw while she was coming in. She finally crossed a tree in front of me so I could draw. After that it was a waiting game that I didn't like playing. 2 minutes of waiting for a good shot while drawn and she was standing 6-10 yards away. Finally she turned the way I was hoping she would and I let the arrow fly. Light went off on my nock and I could see I hit her really well. She ran about 30 yards and fell over. Very nice to see a quick kill. She happened to run up to the neighbors fence line which made it easy for me to drive over on neighbors and retrieve. (Neighbor hunts shotgun with us)

Photos are terrible, but I wanted to get working on gutting and skinning. I'll add to contest for points.

Attached Files:

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Justin!

20. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More points! Nice shooting!