---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't get anything on the ground this past Saturday but saw some deer. Apparently the spot I picked for the morning was a good one because when I got to a suitable tree, I could see four sets of eyes looking back at me in the dark. Two deer and two racoons. I guess the were moving real early and were already in the pines.

I proceeded to slip and fall 3 feet trying to get on my first tree stick so that was loud and painful :lol: Finally got settled in and turned to look over my shoulder at first light.

"Oh wow that tree stump looks just like a deer facing head on! Crazy!" And of course it was a doe who promptly turned and trotted back into the corn to bed somewhere else. Rookie mistake I suppose. Didn't see anything else that morning. Packed up around 9:30 and headed home for breakfast and a nap.

Headed back out around 2pm. Got settled for the afternoon sit by 3:45. Had a button buck show up twice around 5pm. Got some video and pictures. He spotted me in the stand and took off only to come back right under the stand.

Saw one doe way off in a bedding field but that was it for the night. Watched two deer move from the corn to hardwoods as I was taking down my stand. Too dark to see what they were.

Tried rattling both in the morning and evening - no results. Hope to get back out in two weeks.

Nice job! Post all that in the after the shot thread! http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?40033-2012-BH-com-After-The-Shot-Thread

2. badgerboi21

badgerboi21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Matt! Hopefully I'll be able to help out the team before too long. I was at my property this past weekend but wasn't able to get any points for us. Had a great hunt regardless and I'm finally starting to see a few more bucks on camera. Hoping I can make something happen these next few weeks!

3. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    antlerman.... If you want me to come take that buck out for you, I can be there tomorrow afternoon.
    Jake... Come and get that sucka!

Nice shooting Matt! Great points for the team.

Lots of new bucks on the camera including an all white buck. Pretty cool!

Good luck this week everyone!

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Atta' boy Matt... Thanks for knocking down the doe!

Raining here tomorrow, so probably won't go out... but Wednesday looks good. Gotta' go to the dentist (again) on Wed am; then off to the woods for a long sit until dark!

5. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one Matt!! Congrats!

Sunday I went out & went into an area I've never hunted on the property, mainly because there's no good way in. I found a good tree & climbed up. As soon as I got the wind shifted out of the north & pretty much ruined my morning. Although once the sun came up I could see 2 good scraps within 25yds of me. I didn't see anything nor did the other 2 guys hunting with me.

I pulled my 2 cameras & these guys were on one of them. We have 14 stands on the farm & don't have one close to this area, I'll have one up soon!

Attached Files:

6. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on that doe Matt, congrats

7. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had an appointment cancel last night so I raced home and changed and got out a little late. Busted two does going in. It was an east wind so it was perfect. Ending up seeing over 10 deer. Stopped counting after I figured I might be counting the same deer.

I did see a buck grunting and chasing a doe around. She didn't want any of what he had to offer.

Had the bow up ready to draw on does twice, but never got a shot.

Weird thing happened when I was about to start packing up. 1 young doe in front of me probably 30-40 yards. Behind me I heard a sound. Sounded like something hit a rock. The young doe started stomping and blowing at it. Not that weird, but she continued to do so without running away. She seriously blew at least 75 times. I had counted up to 40, but then I was starting to get mad because I couldn't get down from stand. She was very unsure of something.

Anyone ever have that happen. I've had them blow and be confused not knowing what something is and they will usually run away. Any reason she might be doing that besides being on alert and unsure of what she is on alert about?

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was sneaking up on some deer in another plot like a week ago and after they left the area I just was waiting until dark. I failed to notice a doe and two fawns come to my left. I guess they saw me move and started to blow at me over and over. Blew about 20+ times, moved a little then blew couple more times. My guess would be just trying to get movement from the object they're unsure about.

9. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I figured, but didn't know if something was going on that I'd never heard of. Different type of communicating?

10. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a button buck catch me moving in the stand, he ran off, then came back right under the stand to investigate. I think the young ones aren't as conditioned to run out of the area. Probably just very curious.

11. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Supposed to get up to 80 today. This drop in temp over the next couple days is going to be really good. Should be able to get out tonight. Was going to let pressure off area this week, but my dad is going either way. Might as well be there too. Still hoping I can get a big doe this week before the rut takes full swing.

12. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Dad got a shot at a nice doe at 20 yards. He was way high. I saw him shoot the nocturnal through the air. No idea what happened. I'm guessing he had the wrong pin. He had a streak of 7 deer going without a miss. Time to start a new streak. He is going to be shooting the bow first thing today to see if something is off.

13 turkeys and 4 deer from my stand. 2 including the doe and fawn that he shot at.

13. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    FINALLY....I get to hunt! LOL I get out Friday and Saturday mornings then to Lambeau for the Packer Game on Sunday, work 4 hours Monday then 2 weeks off! I've been killing my self to get to this point and I can't wait!

14. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful day here in upstate NY today... 77* (tied the record). Took the opportunity to finish painting the front porch with my wife. NOW I can go hunting without any remorse... looking forward to an all-day sit Friday.

Hey 'Fool'.... best of luck to ya'!

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone the next couple of weeks. Lets make a push on the scoreboard!! Im going out tomorrow. Hopefully they will be out moving since the "Frankenstorm" is coming.

16. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Got out this morning. Bucks are starting to pick up. Saw 8 deer. 4 bucks. 3 8 points and one forky. Small 8, 115ish, and 125ish for size. Had a perfect broadside and then quartering away shot at the 115 inch, but not what I'm after. Couldn't have came and stood any better. Head looking the other way and paused for about 30 seconds in same spot. I had done some rattling and grunting before hand. Not sure if that is why they showed up.

The 115 inch made a rub on a nice size tree. Never seen that live before. Very cool! Love being in the woods. I'll be out all weekend. Good times are ahead of us! Love seeing the woods change and bucks start showing up.

17. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning, saw one Doe at about 40 yards, no shot! Checked my cams, this guy showed up on Video for the first time!!!!

[​IMG]

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a stud, Joe ....I think you may want to send an arrow thru him ... ;)

19. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with that MONSTER. Sure would boost the team with all those points. Next pic I want to see is the hero shot with that beast.

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second that!!! Good luck.