---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No hunting this weekend for me. After that hunter ruined my night Wednesday im taking a break.

I don't have the luxury of being 5 minutes from my hunting grounds so every trip means a good amount of time invested not to mention miles on my car and fuel. Its easy to get frustrated when I put all that effort into a trip and it gets ruined by some idiot.

Going to spend time with the lady this weekend and she may even go scouting and checking cams Sunday with me.

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read your story. That sucks. The rut is coming up and a break may not be a bad idea to calm the mind about certain a-holes that hunt and aren't respectful of others. Enjoy the weekend with the girlfriend.

I'm going to be doing the opposite and enjoy a whole weekend free of the girlfriend. I'm getting out this afternoon.

Sounds good that a few of you are starting to see some bigger deer. Good luck to all.

3. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come on guys! We're in 16th place, 1 doe will move us up 4 spots. Someone knock down some deer! I like being the under dog, they will never see us coming.

4. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your telling me man, if I could get a damn deer in range I'd put one down

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna be in the woods tomorrow from early am til sunset... I'll do my best to get a doe for us! There is also a MONSTA in our area... I haven't seen him yet, but the neighbor has. Hopefully tomorrow!!!!!

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled back on a doe tonight, but she was quartering towards a little and it wasn't the best shot. Could have taken the shot, but I'm not in a hurry. Not to sound cocky, but I shouldn't have any problem getting a doe for our team. Just a good area to hunt is all. I've had shots at small does both nights I've been out and passed. I have some dumb young ones around that I could take at some point. I had a lot of opportunities last year for does though.

Saw a 8 point and a fork buck sparring a little bit about 80 yards off in the woods. The 8 point wasn't big. Saw 7 does. At dark I had a decent 8 point right below my stand. I have a camera up so I should get a picture to show. Wasn't something I would try to shoot, but was fun to watch him. Also saw over 20 turkeys, 11 came right by stand. 1 possum, 4 coon, and 1000 squirrels bouncing around in the leaves. My ears are bleeding from all the squirrels. Usually see squirrels, but this was excessive. Next September I'm hitting that part of the woods for squirrels. They seem to be prospering very well.

Pretty good night, except that I went to change batteries in another camera and pull card. The camera is new this year and wouldn't turn on. It is a Big Game eyecon. After hunting tomorrow morning I'll be calling them.

Tomorrow morning I'm targeting any decent size doe with a good shot or any monster that stops in front of me.

Good luck out there.

7. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty of season left guys I'm not phased. We will win this thing gotta have some confidence haha

8. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely plenty of time left. My season runs until end of January lol. I've passed one two small does and a button buck so far. Want to whack a fat doe or decent buck.

I'm up to 44 hours in the stand with 45 deer sightings lol. Wish I could get some in range and the right size!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  9. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot your average is a lot better than mine. I'm at over 40 hours and have seen a total of maybe over 20 deer. Usually always the same ones just different times

10. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If this rain will stop I'm going in the morning. I've got 12hrs in so far & 16 sightings. Only 3 in range but didn't offer a shot.
    I'm only after a buck from now until Thanksgiving after that I will take as many does as I can.

11. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Same here - seeing a lot of the same deer multiple times. A lot of fawns and small does though.

Found one large doe one morning about 100 yards from the road that looks like it was shot severely quartering away. Arrow entered upper middle back and looked like it just sliced outside the ribs and exited inside the right leg. I guess it was shot very far away and managed to make it near the road where I park. Whoever shot it probably gave up looking - was already very bloated and infested with flies. Such a shame, she was a pretty good size.

12. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Only went out tonight because of rain this morning. Tracking in rain worries me. That and it was nice to sleep in. Went this afternoon and it was dead. Only saw 2 does very late as I was lowering my bow from the tree.

Side note...found out my big game camera isn't broken. After taking batteries out and putting back in I found that they were in backwards. I'm an idiot! Rather it be me than the camera be bad.

Looks like more rain tomorrow morning. Don't think I'll get out tomorrow morning.

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHEW... sat in the stand all day! Murphy was alive and well today in the woods. I went to check on the time and accidently knocked my bow out of the stand... 20' BANG - you should have seen it 'jump' probably 6' in the air after landing on the lower cam and limb, and then hit the ground again. I was MAD... so I just sat in the stand stewing over my bad luck. Finally, I decided to lower the climber and check out the bow. I got about 3' from the ground and BAM... here come 5 does and a half-racked buck, heading right to the stand. I get the bow, check it out, renock an arrow and then they see me. I drew back on the big doe, but she offered no shot and then bounded away. I hit my fawn bleat call and whatta' know... here comes the buck! He gets to about 15 yards (face on) and then does the 'peekaboo' around a tree with me for about 3 minutes. I had to let down - busted... he blows outa' there ner to be seen again. Saw a total of 10 deer today, along with a red-tailed hawk about 10 yards away in a tree, a really dark black squirrel, and blowing leaves from the 20 mph winds.

Got home and really checked out the bow... seems okay except it broke off a BowJax RizerJax Dampener. I found the broken piece and can glue it back together.

I was trying guys... I was gonna slam that doe with a SlickTrick... but Murphy had different ideas.

14. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Glad to hear the bow was alright!

Still raining here. This sucks!

15. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah this rain is a big bummer. I went out last night, got off work early, nothing! Well, 2 weeks from today, I'll have 2+ weeks off of work and in the woods the entire time, cant wait, this should be prime time!

16. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from the reservoir a little while ago. Beautiful day for a hike - took the girlfriend with me. I checked a cam I had set about a week ago. Something happened with the SD card - completely blank. Not even a picture of me setting it up a week ago. Also, the batteries were about 75% when i left it - completely dead when I picked it up. Oh well.

Anyways, we walked all around this peninsula on the lake for about 1.5 hours and I didn't find any good signs. No new rubs, trails or anything. Did find a good acorn flat so that may be another spot to place another cam but again, no fresh sign. Wound up going back and putting the cam with fresh batteries back on the trail it was on but repositioned for better pictures.

I might try for a half day of work this week so I can get out to the WMA where i'm seeing more deer. There's deer up at the lake but they're few and far between - it's a huge area.

17. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rain kept me out of the woods today. I won't have another chance until Sunday to get out again. I'm glad I've got the work but man I would love to have a little time to hunt too!

18. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's suppose to rain this evening here then clear off around 6am. I'll be going out, but probably not getting into the ladder or climbing stand until everything drys up. Hopefully with the South/SouthWest winds I'll be able to walk through the corn field undetected (always get busted with a North/NorthEast wind).

19. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was out Saturday Am and PM...... didn't see a single deer in the AM but the landowner relayed this morning that he saw a "Huge" buck cross his driveway this morning so it's only a matter of time.
    Sat a cut corn field Sat afternoon more or less on a doe mission..........my buddy's brother saw 15 deer by this stand the night before. Of course I get the wonder twins around me all night. A chubby little button buck and his sister.
    Obviously didn't shoot either but they kept me entertained for well over 1hr. Even bedded less than 10yds away for quite some time.

Button Buck cruising by at 15 yds.......
    [​IMG]

Little sister bedded in front of me.........
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this weekend I will at least scrounge up 50 pts for us!

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good luck guys!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012