---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I need a little break already. Getting frustrated.

I had a miss on a doe this past Saturday and my arrow flight is all messed up (arrow fishtailed and hit a limb). I figured something must have gotten knocked around on my bow. Took everything home and tried to paper tune at about 5 feet. Spent three hours adjusting and actually pulled off my nock point and reset my rest for centershot and proper height. Still have a high tear at 5 or 6 feet. With a lighted nock I can see the fishtailing. Its ruining my downrange accuracy and velocity.

I don't know how or why I didn't notice this before (the poor arrow flight). I had paper tuned at longer distance, say 10 yards and it wasn't perfect but it was ok. I was getting good groups when the season started - not fantastic but good. (4-5 inches at 30 yards.)

After doing a bit of reading up on tuning, I think I'm underspined with my arrows (at least that's what the high tear tells me). I had done tons of research on what spine I should have and the numbers added up correctly - the way my bow is set now should handle CX maxima 250s (according to shaft selection charts from CX). But for some reason the arrows I have now aren't shooting like they should. I have dual hard cams and I've been reading now that I should probably have stiffer arrows for the best flight with those cams.

I have very little spare cash so I can't go buy another half-dozen of something else. I'm stuck with trying to fix the soft arrows I have. I can afford to cut about 2" off my current CX arrows - that would probably stiffen them up a bit right?

Already tried turning the limbs down to about 55lbs and I'm afraid to go any further. This is an old bow - I don't know the minimum draw weight and I don't want to back the limbs all the way out and have one fly off.

I'm also looking at finding some super cheap walmart arrows as long as they're a much stiffer arrow. I'll take a chance on three $5 arrows - just don't have $50 for another half-dozen.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my little rant. I guess i'll do what I can to get this fixed or i'll just be stuck with 20 yards as my maximum range. I'm comfortable with the accuracy at that range.

2. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting off 2" off a carbon arrow will stiffen it bigtime, probably too stiff. Just cut one arrow a bit at a time. Tip weight changes the spine as well....heavier tip will weaken and lighter tip will stiffen the spine. Some times its best to start over, change one thing at a tome so you know what's affecting what! Good luck brother, tough time for this!

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well another unsuccessful day. Went to another stand along my food plot. About 630 it started to pick up and at 715 had a big doe walk by at 20 yards, drew back but couldnt see my pins at all. She went into the woods and then another doe walked by but I didnt even try to draw on her. Just a little too late. Im getting really close though.

I might go out tomorrow morning, all depends on how this MNF game goes.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys...

Just finished a big bowl of pork & home-made sauerkraut (yummm) after spending most of the day in the woods. Boy did it ever feel good to go hunting! Had a spike at 19 yards (probably 9" sticks). Had a doe pass by followed by an 8-pointer. Almost called him over to me, but no dice.

Saw a flock of turkeys and had a few pass by me while I was in the ladder stand. I think it's turkey season... but I'm readin' the regs tonight to be absolutely sure!

Looks like rain tomorrow...

5. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you guys going out this week. I don't think i'll be able to get out until next Tuesday. Probably have to work saturday. The upside is I took off next Tuesday, Wednesday and if I work this Monday (Monday's technically a holiday but I might still have to work) i'll have three days next week to hunt!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    This dude sure likes this area!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daytime pics are always a plus....

[​IMG]

He's here with a buddy....

[​IMG]

7. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Play your cards right with wind, etc. Seems like that's a good area.

8. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Best part is that a NW wind is perfect, W isn't to bad either!

9. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I couldn't be happier right now. Just finished fixing my arrows. I went all out and cut 2" off each and reset the inserts. Just did about 30 practice shots and my arrow flight has definitely improved. They're flying like bullets. I'm getting less than 1" groups at 10 yards. Of course i'm shooting inside so I can only shoot 10 yards right now. Worried i'm going to split another arrow.

They're definitely flying better. Now they're busting through this layered target I have as well as knocking it over where before they would stick through slightly and rock it back and forth a bit.

Feeling much better now! :) Just have to head to the range or my friend's place before the weekend and fine-tune my pins.

10. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting up in the stand right now it's 72 here which is crazy warm. I can only be in the stand til 630 but any time I have free ill take advantage of it cuz ya never know when the big one will step out lol

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck?

12. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, just had one doe come in from a good 200 yards away and she was running from something. Hoping it was a buck, but I had to leave before things got cooking. Usually I don't get any action until real close to dark, so I'll be going back out tomorrow afternoon and I can stay til dark this time. It's going to be warm again so it'll be a crapshoot at what is going to happen, but I cant kill one from the couch lol

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be taking off work tomorrow and Monday is a holiday!!!! :rock: 3 out of 4 days of hunting, I might be able to get some points for team 8.

14. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Same here! Off Sat - Wed and i'll be hunting 3 of those days.

15. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the stand now got good feeling ill have a doe down tonight but that's up to the deer as usual

16. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to the farm at noon tomorrow brothers! I'm hoping to get one down with the weather breaking, low in the low 20's, I love this ****!

17. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted this afternoon. Good Grief... it was 80.2 Degrees - WTH is that all about? I got real sweaty carrying my new climber to the woods... so I 'paid' dearly for that move! :busted: Had a buck come in behind me - he blew so hard I almost jumped out of the stand.

Tomorrow I have to help my Amish friend do some work, then it's back to the woods! So far I've logged 9 hours in the woods and have seen 3 bucks and 1 doe.

18. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out saturday morning. Big cold front moving in so weather is getting right to see some good movement.

19. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    I've got about 25 hours in on stand, 3 does from stand, 1 buck from stalking and 5 Does and missed one buck while on deer drives! Good fun!

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    11 1/2 hours in the stand. Averaging about 12 deer a sit.