**Team 8 Venison Vigilantes Official Thread**

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by jlbmarine, Aug 19, 2013.

1. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out now! Want to stick something!!!!!!!!!

2. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have yet to see a deer from the stand. Regular archery season opens up on the 3rd here. I will be able to hunt in my neck of the woods then. To be honest I feel like I am wasting my time until I get to Kansas. Nov 6 cannot get here fast enough.

3. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back in ohio from the overseas, took a short trip to Colorado, got home, opener was yesterday, had some **** head trespass on a dirtbike through my small 5 acre woods while i was in the stand, got back to the stand this morning, shot a Doe at 22 yards, went about 25-30 yards, boned it, ready for more, hitting up other property this week. good job everyone! I've been monitoring the site, just havent posted in a week or two. Good job again guys! IMG_0722.jpg IMG_0723.jpg IMG_0726.jpg

4. jlbmarine

Dislikes Received:
    love these t3's though, broke through ribs like butter, perfect hole both sides, and cool looking delta cut through the ribs!

5. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up the last bit of gear I needed at Cabela's. IL opener is tomorrow, but I probably won't make it out for another week or two.

6. jlbmarine

Dislikes Received:
    good luck man!

7. jlbmarine

Dislikes Received:
    anyone have an update on our score?

8. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think we have 150 points.

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have a bad news update I'm afraid. :sad:

I sat in the stand tonight and about 6:30 I had a deer come in. At first I couldn't tell what it was and actually thought it was a fawn. However I was wrong when I got a good look at the head and noticed some horns. As he came a little closer I noticed his rack was larger than I originally thought. He was between a 7 and 9 pointer between 80 and 95 inches( I didn't know if he had brows or not). Well anyway he came closer and closer moving towards my bait. He came out in front of me and I drew my bow. He stepped between and tree and stopped so I held my own. After holding for about a minute he stepped into my bait. I was waiting for him to get broadside. When he did I let the arrow fly and my string struck my leg which I believe made me pull my bow a little. Well I didn't know if I hit him at that point because he jumped and stopped. I couldn't see the arrow so I didn't know if he was hurt. Well he started walking behind my bait at that point and I nocked another arrow. I've never had a deer stick around for a second shot so I was a little surprised that I actually gotten away with nocking another arrow. Well he gave me another broadside shot and I let the second one fly. This time he took off like a shot! I seen him run about 40 to 50 yards till he was out of sight. Well a half hour later I went down to check where I may have hit him and found both arrows. The first one I shot right under him and the second one was about 6 past where he was standing when I took the second shot. Well my second arrow had blood all the way to the nock which was a delight. However the blood was very sparse. The arrow pasted through so quick that it barely had any blood on it.

Well at that point I backed out and went to my Grandpa's house. We ate some dinner and 2 hours in we went back to the spot and to be honest it wasn't fun tracking with him. I almost wished I left him home. I had a lantern and a headlamp plus my cell phone for flashlights and my Grandpa brought 2 flashlights that didn't work at all. I'm thinking that's just wonderful. The man I call to help track brings two lights that don't work. Well we do in and find my arrow and look it over. We find some small blood not too far from it and from there it get's really bleak. We would find blood every 10 feet or so but it would be very little amount. We did that for about 2 hours and high tailed it out of there. The blood we did find seemed bright and was dripping not spraying. I'm not too sure I hit this deer all that well but tomorrow at sunrise I'll be heading in to see if I can find him. Wish me luck because I'll need a bunch of it.

10. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, the amount of blood trail is not necessarily indicative of the shot placement. You will find him.

11. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    There wasn't any hair on the arrow because I thought perhaps I may have hit him low but the shot was so quick that I don't know where I hit him. It's frustrating really.

12. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at him and let us know, check for him around water too. Good luck

13. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happens to us all at one point, best of luck!

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got furloughed today. Yippee. :( Went hunting, but no luck there, either. Good luck to all who are hunting.

15. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any updates marauder?

16. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep after it man, from the looks of it he is dead

17. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    We are at 150 / 3 does

18. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry to announce that I didn't find him today. I took two go's at it and just came up stumped and frustrated both times. I circled and circled with no results. Only upside to this is that the season has only began and I'll get my chance at redemption. Just gotta swallow this and get back out there. I'm gonna let the area cool down cuz I know I stirred it up today being in there more than 6 hours walking around.

I'll try to get in my other stand possibly this weekend. We'll see though.

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man! It happens and I am glad you kept going back looking. You will make up for it! Keep at it Bro!

20. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I have a feeling that this weekend won't end well for some fuzzy woodland creatures..........