Team 8 - Make America 8 Again

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by OK/Sooner, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That'll shake you up for sure!

Sent from my LML212VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The way we found our first bugle was to road call. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but sometimes you gotta find that bugle to stay motivated. Went out at 4am and drove old backroads and passes and would let out a location bugle every so often. This would also work from an atv path.The trick is to turn off the motor and lights, walk away from the vehicle and call. At 6am I stuck up our first bugle. The other thing I did is offered to help a guy pack out his cow elk. He took me to the spot obviously and since they are herd animals...I knew the others wouldn’t be far. Next day was my closest and best opportunity. Those might not work for you but just telling you how it worked for me.

Exciting news though...just got permission to hunt 35 acres a mile from my house. It borders 635 acres of great deer woods owned by a factory that just lets its workers hunt. The 35 acres is only hunted by gun hunters a few times a year. It’s lush fields and a ton of oak trees. The guys who gun hunt like to come in early and put out corn piles. I’m just excited because it’s a spot I can drive my atv to for a quick hunt. All my other properties are at least 15-30 minutes drive.

Probably gonna skip opening day to do some family stuff. So most likely will head out Monday. Good luck guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copperhead likes this.
  3. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So debating on a Tuesday morning hunt or evening hunt.... thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, Tuesday’s are lucky, also it’s cooling off up here should get some good movement.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

6. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
  7. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I wish my factory would let me hunt lol has giants on it that I watch at break every year until eventually they are hit by cars....sad. General mills will fire me for even bringing an arrow on the premises ha commies...

8. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    I personally don’t hunt mornings until Halloween, at least that’s how I have done my private property. Might switch it up for the public adventures I will go on we shall see.

9. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Mornings are great if you have a lot of spots to go in and burn lol i get in on the bedding. Or try to. I dont hunt mornings on the private land farm though until about the third week of October. 35,000 acres of public allows me plenty of room for options though!

10. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps it's just a location thing, but I've found mornings to be my best hunting here in Texas this time of year. It's in the 90's until sundown most days in the early season.

11. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Main problem for me on the private ground I hunt is there is 2 60 acre cornfields in the midst of 300 acres of timber. The deer density is very high and the timber is very thick. I go be bopping in in the morning I jump deer like crazy early season lol but I've also jumped mature deer and they come right back in a couple hours..im confident that no one really knows the right answer haha but the best part is figuring them out! Region defintely matters though. One thing I wish I had around here was open ground for spotting and stalking...havent really ever got to experience that. Have only did it once and that was when I was probably 14 in a cow pasture on a nice 8...loved every minute of it haha

12. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Two more days! Might skip Saturday since I work Friday night and have to stain a deck all day. Did concrete work yesterday for a side gig and paying for it today hahaha. Getting everything organized and washed up! Again....ha. So close I can smell it!

13. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got plenty of open and slightly rolling terrain and I do this with a rifle from time to time in January and I horse around with the occasional deer I see as I'm walking out mid-morning with the bow. But generally with a bow is pointless - Whitetail aren't Mule deer that will just stand there as an arrow drops in on them from 60 yards like you watch on the Western hunter TV shows, you've got to get inside the same range that you would from a tree stand or ground blind or they show you the white tail as soon as they realize you're in the neighborhood and attempting to get your bow to full draw.

14. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah like I mentioned ive only ever got to do it once and it worked out on a nice 8. He was in a little drainage and I got to 28 yards and when he stood up I was lucky he was looking the other direction to be able to draw. It was a 2 hour stand off but was a blast for sure. My dad and papaw were at the camp watching from binos. They watched the deer fall but I didn't know until I got back. We were actually in the process of setting up deer camp when we spotted him. I took off and papaw was pissed because there was work to be done hahaha I'll never forget it.

RevMS likes this.
  15. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    90s on the opener and the next few days. Man it aches not to hunt the first few days but next Thursday it drops from the 80s into a high of 70. Probably will wait til then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait any longer lol I'm going for sure..at least Sunday and Monday.

17. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    I have found a ridiculous amount of acorns on the ground in the public land. Definitely deer hitting them in a couple places too. I’ll be out sometime that first week. Man I wish I could use my hang and hunt there are good trees everywhere

18. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    They aren't producing In my neck of the woods like they are everywhere else..idk what's up but years like this is usually when I'm able to get a good one. Finding some secluded oaks that happen to be producing...time will tell.

19. bloodrunner13

bloodrunner13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

So I took a crack at this doe the other night, she was at 45 yards and ducked my string hard. I had 0 penetration, gave her lots of time before tracking. After 4 hours, 3-4 miles and loss of blood I gave up the search and figured she would be all right. Whats your thoughts on this guys? Also I never found my arrow which was a bummer all around.

20. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Get ya one man?