Team 8 - Make America 8 Again

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by OK/Sooner, Aug 26, 2019.

1. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Travis here checking in from...you guessed it...Ohio! Reading this thread so far makes me think Ohio is the spot to be this year, haha. Live in SE Ohio (Washington Co). I have zero cams out. Mainly because I’m focused on my Sept 8-22 Colorado archery elk hunt! Cant hardly wait. I’m a part of a small group of average Joes called Shedding Light Outdoors and I’m host of a podcast called Shedding Light Hunting Stories. I’m not here to plug that over and over. Just figured I’d mention it here and move on. I enjoy getting to know my team and have some fun. Let’s have a good year.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

bowhunt4abuck and Kyle Rayburn like this.
  2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I'm headed to CO September 20th and staying the last week of season. Hopefully you get one out there.

3. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from Central Texas. I'm a pastor and have no property of my own yet, but I have a couple of members who let me hunt on their ranches. All low fence properties that have plenty of deer in an area where people pay good money for deer leases. I'm blessed! I should have no problem with putting at least a couple of doe on the ground ... I'll be a bit more picky on bucks as I've got four on the wall and I'm not planning on any more unless it's a P&Y caliber specimen.

SheddingLightTravis likes this.
  4. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you've got a good spot to hunt. I'll be down in Texas for the OU texas game this year. We try to come down every year as long as I'm off work.

5. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we have an awesome crew in my opinion. I'll be updating with every hunt myself. I'm also self filming for the first time this year lol it's going to be a very fun and hopefully action packed year for this guy. I think aslong as everyone stays in communication with each other about their season we'll have a blast! It was always fun for me last year creeping on all the team's and their chats. When a team member has success it's like we all do! Which is awesome!

Sent from my LML212VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I'll defintely check you guys out! And you can't go wrong with Ohio haha I actually thought about going and getting a WV license too. But that may wait until next year. The four bow hunting only counties intrigue me.

7. bloodrunner13

bloodrunner13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big self filmer myself, whats your filming set up like this year?

8. bloodrunner13

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to have you on the team Travis, Currently listening to your podcast as I type this in my office. Im a big "wired to hunt" and "hunting public" pod cast listener so i'm sure ill rotate this into my list of podcast. I run and operate a brand myself "BowhuntMass" that has a generously sized following. Im sure I will be bouncing questions off you through out the year. Colorado elk is on my radar for next year but have no clue where to start planning, this your first year?

Kyle Rayburn likes this.
  9. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Checking out BowHuntMass! Love that logo dude...pretty sweet! Yea I started with listening to Wired To Hunt Podcast and Nine Fingered Chronicles. Elk hunting has got me into several others that I listen to. The thought I had a couple years ago was how much I enjoyed it when they told stories on those podcasts. Sometime the tactics stuff gets old and is blah blah blah. But when someone told an actual hunting story they had my undivided attention. So that's what gave me the idea for my podcast. Just normal average Joes telling their favorite hunting stories. I have had a few well known guys on from time to time to help broaden my audience and I do believe they are still normal guys...they just happen to be on TV. They aren't over the top celebrities hunting high fences I guess is what I'm trying to say.

As for Colorado, I went rifle hunting back in 2016 but I was in no way prepared for that hunt. Didnt know much about elk, calling, or anything for that matter. I decided if I ever went back I'd be prepared. And I feel that I am about as prepared as I can be. I've listened to every elk hunting podcast available, learned how to call, got into the best shape of my life, have e-scouted for hours, and I'm ready to rock n roll here in 12 days. I know that doesnt equal a dead elk. But I do have confidence (no cockiness) that I can get on elk and hopefully have a chance.

I love to self film but it did cost me a 10 point buck last year. I'll tell that story some other time. Haha.

10. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    With it being my first year nothing too fancy. Just to get the feel of it and see if it's something I want to do all the time. Have a muddy hunt hard arm and a nikon coolpix l840. It'll be a challenge without a remote I know but I'm trying it lol. The camera was given to me by my mother inlaw. Takes some good video and has an awesome zoom. I mainly wanted to add a camera because of the deer I see on public land. Don't have many people that will hunt with me so usually solo and I just wanna show people what they are missing. Family and friends I mean for the most part. Ditched the summit this year for a xop vanish evolution and some hawk sticks to be a little more mobile. So many times i have to hunt 20 or 30 yards where I really want to and I watch the buck im after 20 yards out of range..my camera arm is too short I can already tell from practicing but I'll just have to see what happens. It'll be fun either way.

11. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    The untamed is awesome too. Kind of why i want to try West Virginia lol they have some really awesome ghillie hunts if you haven't checked them out too.

12. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in, do not tell me it’s this easy this year. spypoint.jpg.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
  14. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    How do you like that SpyPoint? Academy has them for a good deal right now. I wanted to get two of them and see how they did. Looks like for 120$ a year I can get unlimited pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bloodrunner13

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. I'm a full on subscriber now, love the message you're trying to get off with the "average Joe" mentality. I feel like that is what MA hunting is all about, being such a small state and a small hunting core here.

I broke my foot bad last year 4 days before season and couldn't walk for almost 5 months, I just finished my final Physical Therapy last month. Now I would like to train and rehab my foot so I can hopefully be able to make it on a elk hunt for a couple days next season.

I think the story of that 10 point should be a podcast episode if it isn't already :lol:

SheddingLightTravis likes this.
  16. bloodrunner13

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I started by taping a spare cellphone to my head :lmao2:so you're doing better than I did.

Now I feel like I spend more on camera equipment than hunting gear lol, get ready to be addicted. one word of advice, the one day you decide not to bring your camera is the one day you'll wish you had it!

Kyle Rayburn likes this.
  17. bloodrunner13

Dislikes Received:
    how does one go about having a pet deer, asking for a friend :lmao2:

18. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Im pretty dedicated on getting it on film this year. Borrowed a couple go pros that bowfishing buddies don't use in the winter lol even my odds a little too for different angles. Have to figure out editing..all the free ones I've found suck lol only laptop I have is a pointless chromebook haha but none the less I'll for sure have a shaky, terrible sound quality (no external mic option), but memorable video hahaha. Can always go up in the future.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  19. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is to practice before day one with your camera gear. Nothing worse than screwing up a hunt because you dont put the arm in the right spot or you put you camera bag in a shooting lane, etc. I switched to hunting from a saddle last year and that made me relearn how I was going to film. I use a Canon G30 with a GoPro with remote to film with.

So I do refer to that hunt on the podcast some. Not much to it really. I hunted a ton and had 1 chance on a shooter buck. I was actually doing a video interview about how I was tired and hadnt had a chance at a buck yet. I stop talking and you can see me look off to my left and then say "there's a buck". He came in slowly and just grazed through some thick stuff. I got great footage of him. Not a giant by any means but bigger than any Ive shot so far (120-130s Im guessing). He came in PERFECT. Stepped right out into an opening at 30 yards broadside and even stopped. But for some dumb reason that I still cannot wrap my head around, I still had my hand on my camera. In that moment I remember thinking "you idiot, why arent you at full draw". I mean all I had to do was point my camera in that gap...and it was a 10 yard gap mind you...and pull back my bow. I couldnt move at that point. Buck passed by the tree so I had to swing over to the other side. Made some noise and he snorted and ran out of my life.

Thats the first and hopefully last time I let filming cost me a deer. I learned from it. I shot 3 does last year so it wasnt a bust...all 3 of them from my saddle so that was fun. Anyways, filming is a blast when it goes right.

20. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    bloodrunner13 likes this.