TEAM 8 - Archers Eight

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by MGH_PA, Aug 14, 2017.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

The accomplishment of getting your first deer with bow is priceless. I wish you the best of seasons and will be looking forward to hearing how this year goes for you. Stay positive and Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wings435 likes this.
  2. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been bowhunting for 16 years. Sadly to say I have to put the bow down a pick up the Xbow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im kind of like Wings. No one really hunted in my family. We took a few trips to western Kentucky for a weekend a few years but that was about it. Then about 5 years ago I started getting more of an itch for it and had some buddies to help me along the way. The first 2 years or so was rough, lot of times it was cricket city. But I still enjoyed the pursuit and decided I needed to put some work in. 2 years ago when the obsession took over though. I was invited my buddy who harvests some nice bucks to come and hunt on his property. It was me , another buddy of ours and my buddies boy all hunting that night. I was in a ladder stand overlooking an alfalfa field with a steady rain. I had a small buck run across the field into the timber behind me about 30 yds, I take the shot, the deer runs off and the flood gates open 30 seconds right after. My phone is on like 2 percent if not dead already and I have not a clue what to do, ha. So I get down and go look at my arrow, blood all over it. Not knowing nothing else I stick it in the ground where i found it and go back in the stand. Needless to say, we found it after spreading out and combing the area. What a feeling, my first bow kill and first buck. Obsession ignited. That night I killed that buck and the other 2 both harvested does. Been hooked ever since, I am blessed to have a wife that puts up with it also, ha. Sorry to go on, but that was what got me to where I am now, continuing to learn and harvest these amazing whitetails.

Kfili, Jeepwillys and camo75 like this.
  4. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No need to say sorry kentuckybuck, reliving the stories are some of the best part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentuckybuck and Jeepwillys like this.
  5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 20th season bowhunting (typing that makes me feel old). I grew up hunting and fishing, but my dad wasn't into archery hunting. I hunted my first two seasons rifle only, but then decided I wanted to hunt more, so archery it was. My dad was really supportive, and bought me a Golden Eagle package, and I was off. He never really did get into archery hunting, but he still is very active with my pursuit of it (he helps clean and process all of my deer, he's been there for every drag out, etc.).

7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my first deer with a shotgun running dogs 3 years ago (don't crucify my) and i loved the hunt camp atmosphere but no one in my family hunted. I decided i wanted to try hunting "the right way" and got into bowhunting. I've taken a buck and doe each year with my bow and am totally sold out on it. I still go to the hunt every year when my buddies dad runs the dogs (new years tradition) but let the deer run past me now. It's just not the same i can't picture myself ever shooting a deer with a rifle or shotgun again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

kentuckybuck and camo75 like this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Changed my brosdheads today to the qad exodus. Holy cow is all i can say. Totally amazing flight and really deep penetration. I'm so happy i switched

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Bloodrunners. Best broadhead ever.

10. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season opens Saturday here in Wisconsin. High temperatures are going to be nearing 90 degrees so I doubt I will be out there fighting the bugs. I checked a couple cameras today to find not much movement during daylight over the last week. Warm temperatures, the velvet coming off, and changing food sources will have this effect which is typical for this time of year.

It has been very dry here also. My food plots are looking pretty ugly. Worst I have ever grown in 20 years. What little rain that is in the forecast will not help much either. I have actually contemplated using my tub trailer to deliver water to my food plots. Fill the trailer with water from our creek and dump the water on the up hill side along the food plot. Seems like a lot of work but like I said in another post, you get out of this sport what you put into it.:)

Sunday it is supposed to cool down so I will hunt over one of two ponds. It is really kind of crazy how the weather has changed back to summer from having a month of fall in August.

Jeepwillys and MGH_PA like this.
  11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

I agree. We were spoiled for most of August. It felt like fall. Now I'm reminded of why I dislike humidity.

Jeepwillys likes this.
  12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MGH_PA likes this.
  13. NickS

NickS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey all been really busy here. update on the hunting grounds. Everything should be done this weekend 1 stand to hang. 3 stands to trim, 2 redneck blinds to put up an we are ready. The Food plots are looking great "clover& turnips" we usually have a ton of pictures by now but most of our lease turned into the Bee an Butterfly program so it took about 400 ac of corn an beans away. however once the crops do come out around us I think our lease should be better than ever "thinking mid October" Our season starts Oct 1 the other guys are going to Ohio for there opener so I will have it all to my self. goal is to put a doe down early get some points on the board, then chase bone. Good luck all I will update in the GroupMe app when on stand.

stay safe

Kfili likes this.
  14. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same buck 2 different areas of farm. Looks good but not sure if he will make the cut until I see him.:)

Attached Files:

15. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  16. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck. Around here he would be a shooter without a doubt. He is lacking the mass tho.

18. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just set a camera, it was acting funny so i might have to send it in, saw one deer walking in so i decided to sit on a hill overlooking a trail. It's really low percentage of a deer walking through but the winds right and i can leave easily since i can't stay in till dark.

19. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2 more weeks until bow season starts

20. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to southern WV on Friday for a 4 day bear hunt. Can't friggen wait

Jeepwillys and Kfili like this.