Team 7 (Insert Name Here)

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by drenman, Mar 21, 2011.

1. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Team 7:
    NealMcCullough
    Drenman - Checked In
    Rednas5
    Rut Junkie
    Txjourneyman

Looks like we have a team, lets check in and work on a name.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in! No idea for a name at this time though. I'll be hunting my first guided turkey hunt on April 2nd and 3rd! I'm after west Texas Rio's.

3. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there Tx, where are you headed on your guided hunt?

My season opens this weekend, I hope to get out at least once but we'll see. I've seen good numbers of birds this year so as long as I put in the hours I should get a few chances.

Name ideas... I'm not all the creative but I'll throw out a couple.
    Kickin' Chickens
    Dirty Birds

4. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    The hunt is on a ranch just NE of Lubbock. After 2 days and 2 birds there I'll be stopping at the place I hunt north of Abilene to try to fill another tag or two and maybe get in a hog hunt as well. A busy 4 days I hope!

5. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    Where are the rest of ya?
    Lucky 7s?

6. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Went out by myself on Saturday morning but didn't have any luck. They are roosting where I expected but it was cold and windy and they pitched down onto the neighbor's property. Not much sign of any strutting activiity which is to be expected this early I guess. It's supposed to warm up this week, I'll hit it again this weekend.

7. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Sorry I've been working some long hours and just got on here. Our seasonin Missouri starts April 18th. This year will be a special one since this is the first time my wife is hunting anything and she has her eyes set on a big ol tom. I like Team Rule Da' Roost! Good luck guys.

8. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Red, good luck with the wife. I'm trying to hunt for/with myself, my 15 yo son, my wife and my 7 yo daughter this year. Probably bow hunt with my son only, shotgun with my wife and daughter, my little one is dead set on taking a turkey this year... we'll see.

I like the name.

9. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the name too! I'll be out there Saturday morning. Thats our opener her in Texas northern zone.

10. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Something we did on our deer hunting team last fall was a short introduction to get to know each other a little.

My name is Matt, 36, married with 2 kids. I manage a manufacturing company in Lincoln. I've hunted my whole life but started bow hunting about 8 years ago and have become totally consumed by the sport. I hunt a couple different properties, one with a transient group of turkeys that are hard to pattern and the other with a couple nice groups that are a little easier to hunt.

11. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm Greg, 49, Married with 3 kids now,(just adopted 2), I'm a master electrician and the technical crafts supervisor at a small university in the Dallas area. I have been a bowhunter for 7 years now. i'll be on my first guided hunt this weekend in west Texas. When I'm done there I'll be heading to some land I hunt north of Abilene hoping for more birds and maybe a feral hog.

12. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm Mark, 31, married with one 7 year old girl. I'm a supervisor at the largest battery manufacturer in the United States. I've been bowhunting since I was 21 years old but hunting since I was around 10 or so. I own a 100 acre farm in Worth County, Missouri and also have a hunting club in Nodaway County, Mo that gives me an additional 3000 acres of hunting land. Although I'm not quite as die hard about turkey hunting compared to elk or deer, I think I enjoy it the most. I love the interaction. I've killed over 2 dozen turkeys since I began hunting them roughly 12 years ago.

13. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a lot like you Mark, I don't turkey hunt as hard but I love doing it. I think I'm in the 15-20 range as far as turkeys with my bow, most of those are fall turkeys though. My springs are usually pretty busy, but this year I should have more time. My boy isn't playing baseball this year so that will free up some weekends.

14. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Neal checking in here! This is my first year trying for a turkey with a bow! Could be interesting - I am much more of a Deer Hunter. But - giving it a try.

I am down for any team name... :)

15. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stace is in the building and accounted for. Drenman, were are you from in Neb? I am from Neb and have been in the Chicago area for 10 years. I am from G.I.

Your turkey hunting is much better there than in Illinois.

16. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Lincoln now but I grew up and hunt about 30 miles south of here.

17. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I'm about to call it night. I have 7 toms roosted and plan to whack one in the morning.

18. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Got out yesterday morning but no luck. Had one Tom within 50 yards or so but on the other side of a thicket and he went the wrong way from there. I'll try again this weekend.

19. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I start on April 23... still got a few weeks! Good luck guys!

20. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I blew it on my first outing. Got a nice bird in at 10 yards shot, he flipped and flopped and then just lay there. I couldn't see his head and thought he was dead. I thought I spined him, waited a few minutes and rolled the blind to go get him. He got up and ran off dragging his left wing. I waited a few more minutes. I knew it was a mortal wound by the amount of blood on the ground. It was an easy trail to follow, blood and feathers. It led me to my arrow and a pile a feathers and that was all the yotes left me. From my last sight of the bird to the spot where the yote got it 20 minutes went by.
    I could have put a second arrow in the bird as it lay there. I just didn't think there was a need. After that the winds got up to 40 mph and my hunt was over. I'll try again when I can.