Team 6- Watch Your 6 Official Thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 16, 2015.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good job ZXT!

2. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats ZXT! Seen 12 does 9 fawns and 8 bucks today. 2 were over 140" big 9 grunted in to 70 yards then took a right and went up wind. Big 14 came in chasin a doe and never stopped to offer a shot. Tonight will be the last night before gun season I get to bow hunt. Unless I slip in Friday afternoon up north.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine a hunting day like that Wisco. Sounds like you have a great spot to hunt.

4. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice activity Wisco. So many choices.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Mike!
    If we get some more down, IMA drop my,standards...if we have a shot, I want to keep this team together....maybe we can trade cls ...unless he promises not to whine anymore :D

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Score is entered, ended up with 115 2/8

I'll probably get out for a Thanksgiving morning hunt. Have yet to get a holiday deer, and I'll probably be going through withdrawals by then :lol:

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm good with that, this has truly been a season of frustration. My standards have officially lowered, gun season is next and it's late season after that.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have felt your pain, bro. This has been one of the weirdest bow seasons ever for me...I have seen deer 99% of my sits.. But anything I would shoot now, won't give me a shot like they did earlier and n the season...

Still have a lot if deer hunt bring left...only a few more bow days tho...and frankly, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting out with my rifle, shotgun, Muzzleloader, and pistol....

10. WiscoBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today's total 17 does 9 fawns and 10 bucks today. 4 were over 140". big 9 a.k.a "V-3" grunted in to 70 yards then took a right and went up wind. Big 14 a.k.a "satellite" came in chasin a doe and never stopped to offer a shot. Had the a big 10 "unnamed" come through the corn field at 90-100yards. Big 8 a.k.a "banana slant" came in right at dark at 45 yards. Didn't feel comfortable taking the shot knowing there was brush in the way. Good all day sit. Wind Changed to a WSW around 11 so I switched stands to finish out the day.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A bit of a rant.

So when I dropped my deer off at the processor I asked about what their turn around times was. They said under a week as they were not yet overly busy. So today being just over a week I gave them a call, not out of impatience but to make sure I didn't fudge my phone number some how.

Theh say it should be ready tomorrow, they had it all cut up just waiting to seal it all up. No problem, just wanted to make sure my contact info was correct.

They call me tonight about 35 minutes ago, tell me they were able to get it all packaged up and it's ready for pick up whenever. Tell them I'm 10 minutes away and will swing by shortly while I have free time.

The guy brings it out all boxed up. Says it isn't even frozen yet, not a problem as I have a mostly empty upright freezer. Get home and take it down stairs to put in the freezer. 2 packages didn't seal all the way, but I'll eat them first so no big deal. Back straps are 1 1/2 slices and bacon wrapped included in the price so went that route. Then I get to the bottom layer. The burger.

34 1 pound packages, about right and sealed in the plastic wild game tubes. One problem, they are frozen solid. Not partially or firm, rock solid all the way through like several days frozen. At this point I'm just like whatever and toss them in the freezer, it's only burger and no way to know even if I got fresh ground that it was my deer. Grab my tag out of the bottom of the box and head upstairs. Box had my name on it, but the deer check in number we write onnthe tag when we check it in was wrotten in permanent marker. I used an ink pen because I remember it was hard to get solid ink.

Look at the name and it's some Christoper Xxxx name on the tag. Mine is not in it.

I just don't know what to think. It was only $75 and looks like a fair job on trimming and such. I just don't know how much of the steaks and what not are my deer if any at all. The normal place I use guarantees your own meat back, burger included, and I whole heartedly believe it. Would have been $130 but I had cash in hand and ready to pay it, unfortunately they closed their in town drop off and only accepted at their out of town location.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but this is my first experience with a different processor. The risk we take I guess, but in the future I think ai'll plan on not hunting the next day and process it myself. The thought about them finally starting to cruise had me anxious to get back out there.

12. WiscoBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I'll be getting out the night before gun season! Crossed my fingers!

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You ever get him scored?

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Friday is my last chance, boys as I don't bring a bow to a gun fight....

Throw all your prayers, thoughts , mojo, whatever at me so I can lay down a slammer....oh heck, I'll be good with a 100" buck and a doe :D

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your season end or last chance at seeing antlers?

I'm going to try and get out at some point Thanksgiving weekend, if it doesn't happen looks like Dec. 11th will be the next option. Amazing how fast the season starts going once you pass that 3rd week of November.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season starts Saturday for 3 weeks....then ML for 10 days?....

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Same here Tony...Fri is my last chance as its raining all day here.

18. wack-a-doo

wack-a-doo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been busy with work and the head is at the taxidermist. He is the one doing the measuring. I will call tonight and see if he measured him up yet or see if he can real quick.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No worries, still time left.

I just hate leaving accumulated points off the scoreboard. Has happened several times over the past couple seasons, so I just like to bump reminders.

No offense meant :lol:

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Temps are set to drop 24 degrees in the next 12 hrs. Hope that gets them moving with the pressure on the rise.