Team 6 - Silent But Deadly

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by jnida, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Razortec

Razortec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow starts rifle season in my home state of Tennessee so naturally I'm headed to Pennsylvania in about two more hours. Planning to be on stand two hours before dark rifle season in PA doesn't start until next Saturday I'll be at it all week haven't had any cams on our property up there ever. My Pappy didn't believe in them and I haven't hunted up there in years but he passed away last winter so I plan on catching up with my father in the woods my family has hunted for generations. Even if I don't get my first bow kill there it will be a very emotional and memorable week of hunting for me. Good luck to all my team mates I'll probably be out of touch with y'all til next weekend as service is shady in the rural areas of Millville...

2. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, just got home. I'll post details in the next few days or so. Did a rough score and he doesn't hit 50" but he's meat in the freezer. Saw some nicer bucks but couldn't seal the deal. I had a great trip and saw more deer in 7 days then I have over my first 2 years of hunting. Here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353184843.733306.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353184875.977857.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353184924.877877.jpg

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. It's always good to put some backstraps in the freezer!

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Fellas,
    I just got home a little bit ago from Kansas. I killed a 76 1/2" 8 pt yesterday morning on my last day to hunt. Shot him at 16 yards and he only ran 25 yards and piled up. It was not what I was hoping for in Kansas but after 9 days of hunting hard I was happy to take him. My buddy got a 153 9 pt and his mom shot a 125 8 pt. Both were taken sitting on the ground. The good part about her getting the 8 pt is, my son, who is on team 10 had that buck walk right at him to 6 yards while hunting on the ground. His wife was running the video camera and the buck never gave him a shot except straight on and he won't take that shot. The deer stopped when it saw them at 6 yards and took off. It then ran by my buddy's mom and she bagged it. They got good video of it though. That would have been 125 more points for team 10! I want him to get a buck but razzed him about not getting that one. :D

I still have plenty of hunting in Oklahoma and hope to bag a doe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, guys!

6. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats guys! I'll be heading back to ohio for gun season this weekend if all works out i'll leave sat. mornin and get a day and a half of bowhunting in before the monday opener.My buddy is in one of my stands now and just saw the big eight same spot i was seein him 60 yards away.Looks like i need to hang a stand sat afternoon. and get in it.

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on all the kills so far.

Mark-Good luck in Ohio. Seems like it's just a matter of time before you put a big one on the ground. That video was awesome, looks like there are a ton of bucks there.

Just a quick update on the hunting so far. I was out rifle hunting with my bow yesterday in the same stand that I killed my buck out of on Halloween. Since I can only kill one buck on this property I was planning on shooting the first mature doe to come by. Well, wouldn't you know it, here comes a doe with a beautiful buck behind her. He was a 9 pt. that would probably go 145" or so. I sure would've liked to put an arrow in him, but it was still an awesome sight just to watch him. Maybe next year I will have a chance at him. Other than that, it has been pretty slow. I haven't had a chance to hunt much, but I have a four day weekend coming up and will be heading to IL to try and fill that cheap tag. Good luck to everybody. And Tony, will you just kill a doe already?

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on doe patrol the next time out even though I can shoot a buck too. I haven't had an opportunity for a doe yet this year. Won't be until next weekend. Good luck to you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is up, teamies????

As far as I go, I have been gun hunting the last week and a half ... and I still can't kill a doe ... this was the first season that I can remember where I haven't even gotten a chance...

Hows by you?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have had a bit of luck lately. I got a turkey the day before Thanksgiving and a doe Thanksgiving day. For the season so far I have taken 1 buck, 3 does, and 1 turkey. I have one buck tag left and that is for IL. Found a new place to hunt over there, but very hard to access. It is absolutely torn up with scrapes and rubs. So, I will be checking that place out in a couple weeks since their second shotgun season is this weekend. I will be going after the ducks this weekend. It will be nice to change things up a bit. Constantly trying to kill mature bucks can wear on a guy, especially when he isn't seeing any.

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be trying to fill a buck or doe tag tomorrow. My buddy has seen some mid day movement and got a doe yesterday. He rattled and two bucks came in, got in a fight then left. He never got a shot!

12. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mid-day movement was the order but I didn't release an arrow. I had a doe come in behind me not 2 minutes after I turned around in my stand. There had been a squirrel messing around for an hour and when I turned my back on him...he turned into a deer I guess. The doe walked into 14 yards before I knew she was there...tip toeing all the way. When I turned around she only needed to go three yards and she would be down wind. I grabbed my bow, clipped on and she took two steps that took her down wind. She bolted and stopped at 25 yards but never gave me a shot. She walked straight away. I saw three other does at 80 yards, two bucks at 60 yards and two unidentified deer that came in down wind and blew. Mid-day movement on the full moon. What else can you ask for? A shot! Just one shot! That's what else I can ask for! I'll try again next Friday. Hope you all are still able to get in the stand.

13. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well didn't get a chance to do anymore bowhunting but ohio gun season was awesome. I did shoot a buck not as nice as i hoped but things happen quik and i'm very happy with him. We had a slow start to the week but things took a drastic change sat mornin when three hit the dirt. I'm pretty sure i told tony about a buck i was bowhunting and had some trail cam vids with a double main beam he was one of the three.From my trail cam vids i guessed him at about 170 and my guess was off by 22 inches. That mornin "gravedigger" thats what i named him was ground checked a gross 192" giant. All together out of ten guys we shot 2-130s 2-140s and "gravedigger" i'll get some pics up when i can.

14. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  16. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I've been silent for a few weeks as things have been busy. I went to the cabin up north this week and had a good two days and was able to tag a doe. I'll post the story on another thread and I will post the doe and my buck on the score card this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354981739.518656.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354981778.695243.jpg

Overall I had an awesome season for my third year hunting!

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Huge Congrats, Chris!!! Great season for sure!

18. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great kill buddy! Glad you got some action in the great north woods. Definitely a great season by any standard. Kansas 2013?

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good work! Any deer's a good deer in my book.