Team 6: Red Sun Rising Official Thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I missed this deer right before the one I got all due to an eight point buck wanting the same doe...I'm still not a happy camper!

[​IMG]

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I'd like to say he isn't that big...thing is a stud though. Get back at it brother whenever God blesses ya with time, could still happen!

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on putting some more does on the ground. I've been passing on a lot trying to get that frisky buck that's chasing them. So far no luck so gonna go for more meat in freezer.

Good luck everybody. I'll be heading out in morning.

4. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun starts Saturday here in Wisconsin I will be heading out then

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

5. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas it was raining today so didn't go out. May of been mistake because I did go grab cards out of cameras and there was a decent buck close to one my stands. He heard the atv coming and trotted across field, dod stop long enough for me togrt a good look at him. He wasn't huge but decent. As for checking cameras I was pleasantly surprised to find my #1 buck still around. So I guess the neighbors got something else ha. Had some decent pics and some near my ground blind which I don't hunt much but may start. One thing that kinda sucked was all the pics of bucks were still at night. Haven't decided if the rut is goin here yet or not. After sitting last weekend all day almost and seeing lots of does its hard to tell since nothing came through afterwards.

Anyway this weekend starts shotgun season and I'll be out looking to put something down. This is only time there's other people that hunt on farm but it'll just be my buddy and his girlfriend. Should be a good weekend and then I'll be at it again with the bow. Should be a long 5 days of hunting hard. Good luck fellas and be safe.

6. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think we had any crazy wind last night and I'm pretty sure this was fine when I got home from work yesterday. I'm wondering if I had a visitor in the backyard...

[​IMG]

The other antler was a few feet to my left when I took the picture.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:

Maybe somebody don't want you practicing ha.

Well fellas gun season has not been kind past two days. The wind has been crazy and cold. Was stting out this afternoon and decided it was just to windy to stay in tree stand so I got down and was heading to a place I sit kn ground sometines while gun hunting. Next thing I know shots ring out behind me and I turn to see somebody standing about 75 yards from my stand. At first I was like "who the hell is that," then I realized it was my buddy and his girlfriend. They decided to walk draws and she ended up getting a doe. Apparently there was two does and a buck but she was out of shells to try for buck. She doesn't know how to reload gun very well so he got away, which honestly is funny and kinda scary at same time ha. So I went with them and walked draws the rest of afternoon not seeing anything. I don't know if I'm gonna give it a try in the morning or not, the stand that is right for the wind in morning is close to neighbors somewhat and I'm not sure if I wanna be close to them or not. Between the fact that I'm not real confident they wouldn't shoot in my direction amd that they like to drive around for awhile before setting up I'm not sure its the best idea to be close to that area.

Haveta see how I wake up and what I decide then. Need a couple more stand options I think before next year. Either way I'll be back out Monday and Tuesday with my bow looking to put down some antlers. Cant remember if mentioned it but after checking cams Friday evening I found a couple of good bucks still cruising around. Previously thought the neighbor shot the one big one I was after but he showed up after they had left so I'm not sure what they got.

8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out in the morning, should be nice and cold out. Gonna try snd get out pretty early and hope to stay until 10 or little after. Usually don't see much morning movement so we'll see.

9. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    I have plans to go out in the morning for the first time since I shot my buck. Hopefully I'll have a doe within bow range.

10. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting with my dad & brother for the past 3 weeks for bp and gun. We had a pretty good run, we killed 7 and I got a solid 8 this morning with the .30-30 after watching him run another buck off and breed a doe within 30 yards of the stand. Ended up shooting him at 13 yards (was kinda wishing I had my bow too).

Attached Files:

11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting as much as possible. Weather has turned out pretty nice last couple days. Havemt seen much really, tried taking a good sized doe last night but she started acting jumpy and think shd picked me off eventually. Had something come in behind me whem was preparing for shot and snort and kinda take off. So that made her pretty nervous too. Dont know what it was didn't get turned around to get good look just glanced over to see it turn and trott off.

Still really haven't seen anything with antlers on stand cept that six pointer couple weeks ago. There was a little fork thst came in last night that was missing one side. Don't know if he broke it off or dropped it. Kinda early to be dropping antlers but it would kinda fit in with the off year I guess. Tried gettin binos up to get better look but he saw me move and boogied. Did get some decent footage of the doe he was with though so not all a lose. Just bought a muddy tree arm so hopefully start getting some more footage of stuff while hunting. Don't think I'll get a kill on cam this year but should be able to play around and get used to having it. That'll be a goal next year.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now that gun season is over and just ML for a few weeks starting in a few, I will be hitting the woods again. We let our little spot just be a refuge during gun season this year, and it would appear we saved some young guys...more on that in a later post. However with buck tag filled I'm now 100% about trying to put down a doe we coined Keggerator. She seriously is HUGE...looks like a keg on it's side with four legs. I always think it's a P&Y or bigger buck when I see her coming...she actually made my hitlist for 2013 as a doe :)

13. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    I never made it out the other day. If it all works out, I'll be heading to my urban spot this weekend. Hopefully I can fill my earn-a-buck antlerless tag. I'm still hoping to drop a couple more does for the team. I'd like to have one more for the freezer and one to donate.

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Well getting in one more sit before gun season tomorrow. Hoping something walks by. I've all but given up on anything with horns, only seen one bigger than a spike or fork all year. Haven't even really had much on cam during the day. But you never know I guess. Think not getting out for many morning hunts played a lot into that. Planning on gojn out in morning with gun and then checking cams and maybe moving a few again. Maybe setting them up on some food sources will give me some ideas for late season. Mainly just have some rye and clover but there's not much else around so might pay off.

15. Goosepond Monster

Dislikes Received:
    My wife's cousin sent me some pics from my trail cam at their house. She said this guy showed up around 5:30 in the morning the day before Halloween...

[​IMG]

It is an urban spot, so I can get another buck tag after I kill a doe there. I don't know how much pressure the area gets, but I'm hoping he is still around.

16. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Off work Wednesday, have an appointment mid-day but get to hit late bow season right near the house in the morning and evening. Been raining since Saturday with falling temps. Wednesday should have lows in the upper teens/20's and no rain. I'll be looking for a nanny with the recurve but pretty much if any deer gets within range it's getting smacked.

Don't know if I'll get a shot or that the points will help us much as some of the other teams are having great seasons but at the very least it will make me feel better. ;)

17. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got skunked yesterday but it sure was nice out.

Backyard.jpg Funny story:
    When my brother was home the last week of November we put 2 3d targets out in a clearing we have to hunt on the back of my dads property. It butts up to a massive property(2000 acres) we can't hunt but holds a ton of deer. Betweens my dads land and our neighbors we have close to 30 acres so not big but definitely enough to hunt. We had a bunch of scrapes nearby and were hoping to just get a buck to stop and at least look toward the opening when cutting from the bedding thicket towards the more open woods or come in and investigate. We sprayed them down with buck bomb doe estrous and it worked out he ended up shooting a little buck that evening. Fast forward to Tuesday of this week, we had put the 3d targets back near my dads deck where we shoot from and I hadn' thought much of it. Anyway my dad has two cement deer in the same area where the 3ds were laying and this small 6 came over there twice on Tuesday trying to mount the concrete deer. My dad snapped a quick pic of him on the second trip I just thought it was pretty cool because that buck was still picking up that scent 15 days later, time stamp is wrong this was a little after lunch on Tuesday.

18. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out much since gun season has finished I might get back out another day here soon i still have a turkey tag to fill yet and I have to check the cams once again to see what has survived and if the cams shows anything worth wild i might take the bow out once again.

19. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been out for awhile. Between me and the neighbors being out a lot and the people that coon hunting on farm, just found out there were two groups instead of just the one night, figured I'd let everything settle down. Haven't even been o ut there since the Wednesday before gun season. Looking like snow heading this way tomorrow afternoon so I'll be heading out this weekend. Hoping its calmed down and the deer are back moving as normal. Also took cameras down last time I was outthere but may put one back up tomorrow when I go out. Its ML season also this weekend but with the lack of shots heard last weekend I doubt anybody will be out.

Hoping for some late season luck.

20. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck jrk, it aint over til it's over! I'm gonna get a morning sit in before the rain hits tomorrow. Not expecting much but you never know.