Team 6 - If it ain’t broke don’t Six it

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by OK/Sooner, Aug 30, 2021.

1. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    60s sounds great. It's still high 70s in the mornings here. It was 103 yesterday. Way to hot.

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir I know Travis and the Shedding Light team. After hunting the thick wooded & rolling hills of southeastern Ohio, I felt like Albert Einstein out in Kansas. I can only speak for myself but I felt like it was a lot easier to hunt in Kansas than back home. I was able to find transition spots that deer would funnel through & I was able to access them with little to no pressure. If you guys can find a spot like that I'm sure something nice will come your way. There are a few public land spots out here by me. One of them is right on the border of Oklahoma/Kansas. So if you have your Oklahoma lifetime shoot you could just set up on the Oklahoma side and might be able to shoot a Kansas buck that walks over!

3. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty much how we hunt missouri. I usually hunt southeast OK on public land. Everyone I talk to about kansas says it's fairly easy compared to other states so we'll see. We drew 10, 14, and 19 for kansas.

4. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting units 11 & 12. But you're not far from where I hunt. A lot of good deer in southern KS.

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well ,well it looks like my season could start on Sept. 11 th. They passed that new early gun doe only season and I live in one of the specified units. Now here in NYS cross bows are treated as a muzzle loader. It literally says that in the regs. You can use one in the regular firearm season without a ML licence.
    I will have to call the DEC tomorrow to see if the same goes for this doe only firearm season.. Stupid stupid they did this to lower the doe population in these units but did not offer extra doe tags to get guys out there.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well I called just now. I got a rather frustrated officer. No, cross bows are not allowed and the officers are not happy with the biologists that put in this foolish season. I gave them a few things to mention to the biologists at their next meetings. Officers are not happy.
    BTW. I mentioned I have a doe loaded 25 acre parcel that is ONLY 400 ft wide with houses on ether side. I now can not hunt doe there in Sept because...you need 500ft from a building with gun, only 250 with a crossbow. So much for lowering the doe population...Lol

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  7. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    We get to use our bows in OK during any rifle season. It just goes under your archery tag if you kill one. Sounds like a weird rule.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    What is weird is in this same deal one of the areas is bow only for this new season. The officer told me that in our area because it's a "special gun" season the cross bow is not allowed. They then talked past the point I made of No,No the official wording in the regulations does not say it's a special season. It states it's an early doe only gun season. No different than stating the regular gun season or the muzzle loading season. Which cross bows are legal in.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  9. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Morning everyone! Sorry for no intro/absence. My name is Darrin, I'm 49. I live in TX. I hunt private family owned property, the small tract 100ac. This past 2 yrs has been an weird one. My property was in the process of getting the timber cut, due to the crisis it's has been a eventful delay. The good, is the 100ac, back door a national forest(<1000ac). If this project starts now, i'll have to resort to public lands. Hoping, to still harvest and contribute to the team. This will be different than my usual setup. Pack in, pack out every hunt. uuuhh!:bhod:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  11. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  12. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! Looks like we’re waiting on one more.

13. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Man I’m excited to hunt public this year. Last year public was good to me. I’m hoping for a repeat.

Katt72 and Joe Bear like this.
  14. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, I’m from Wisconsin. I hunt small properties from 2 acres to 40 acres mainly. I use my Moultrie cellular cameras wisely knowing when to go in and when to stay out. I have archery hunted for 35 years and hold out for something that looks 150ish. Last year he was a 145” 9 pointer by bow and a 170” 10 pointer with muzzleloader. Anyway, I have had great success the past several years and this year could be just as good as the rest judging by the pictures coming in. The season opens in 2 weeks and I have not began to practice believe it or not....I don’t get to wrapped up with wearing out my string and cables just flinging arrows. After all, that first shot is the one that counts.

Good luck team 6!

15. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Where at in Wisconsin, I lived in Spencer/Marshfield area for a clue years.

16. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, Team Name? Pipe up, let's see if we can come up with a good one.

Tree Stand Assassins
    Double Lung
    Heart Shot
    Death From Above
    Bone Head Archers
    Paint The Forest Red
    Quiver Full or Full Quiver
    Buck Slayers

17. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seal Team Six
    Six the Hard Way(My fraternity pledgee's group line name) lol!
    The Sirius Six
    SicX Shooters

18. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Neighbor came by and chatted. I just got permission to hunt his 80 acres as well. It’s where we see deer every evening.

oldnotdead and SparrowHawk like this.
  19. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

That tree line has about 17 deer a night walk through it.

oldnotdead and vermontwhitetail like this.
  20. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sparrowhawk checking in! Sorry that I am late to the party. My name is Jared, I am from SW Michigan and I am 32 years old. Season opens here Oct 1st, and I will also be heading to Missouri for my 7th straight year from Nov 4th-12th. I hunt a very high pressured area here in MI and don't shoot anything under 3.5 so many years most of my kills come in MO. Last year I broke a 3 year no kill streak in MO on a 130 after shooting a 150 and 140 my first 2 years heading out of state. Hoping to lay the smackdown on a big mature buck this year and get some points on the board for team 6!!

vermontwhitetail and soccerdan90 like this.