Team 6 - Any Six

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by mathewsmq1, Aug 28, 2022.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear, Joe. Seems they're becoming more common now a days. I know someone, an active farmers wife. Thankfully she is on the mend, but its crazy.

Season opens next weekend. I may not be going out of town for wedding now, so if not, I'll be in my tree in the morning.

Swamp Stalker and Justin Goins like this.
  2. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    @Westfinger saw you shot one in the live thread! Any updates? How does the arrow look? Sorry been busy the past two days and was going to send out the group text. Maybe i’ll do that now

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like he found him!!! Can't wait to hear the story!! Congrats @Westfinger !!!

Justin Goins and Westfinger like this.
  4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go Joe. So a little back story. Last year I went to Iowa had had an amazing hunt passed some great bucks but came home empty handed. I had some good bucks at home but just couldn’t connect. My personal feeling is if your going to bother to enter the contest, participate and kill stuff. With that in mind I filled my buck tag on some dinky buck because we were in the running.

Coming into this season I wasn’t even sure I was going to be able to stay on my deer lease and wasn’t going to even enter the contest. At the last minute I got back on my lease and entered the contest.

I was set up on a good early season spot that has a bunch of oaks and is near bedding. It’s a pretty easy stand to get to and my scent blows out into the bean field and back towards the road.

I had a pretty good doe fawn parade going coming from the bedding area. I had also seen a couple smaller bucks. Eventually this buck shows up off to the side of a few does. He watches them filter past and very slowly comes out of the thick stuff. I had no intention of shooting him. He was 40 yards at this point. He kept coming very slowly. I began to wrestle with what happened last year and the idea of not passing a buck on the first day that you would shoot on the last day. I eventually settled on the idea that if he gives me a perfect shot I will take it. He eventually worked in front of me to a logging road and was 20 yards head down relaxed. I sent it. The arrow looked good. I slipped out and went home for dinner and to get some better lights, deer drag etc.
    Blood trail wasn’t that great and it eventually dried up on us. We came back in the morning and split up headed the direction the deer was going. We were only at it a few minutes when my wife called me and said she had him.

As luck would have it when we finally got him dragged out to the truck I called my butcher only to find out their not processing deer anymore. Finally located one that was open on a Sunday.

And that is the story about the tiny 11 point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmen, Justin Goins and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Congrats again! You got two pics with your bow right? lol

Justin Goins likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Damn it!!!

7. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your joking! Lol

Westfinger likes this.
  8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    yes joking! I put it on the score card minus the score.

Justin Goins likes this.
  9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Justin Goins likes this.
  10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great looking buck btw!! The pick on the LFTS thread didn't do him any justice!

Westfinger likes this.
  11. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a fine buck. I agree that the picture from LFTS was very deceiving . I just booked my flight to Kansas , November 5 afternoon I should be in a tree.

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    It’s definitely smaller than what I have on the property but I don’t have it in me to chase ghosts this year. I’d rather help my wife get a a nice buck than put the effort in myself this year.
    Next year when we’re returning champs I’ll try harder.

Justin Goins and Swamp Stalker like this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Getting my gear ready to go deep from here on out. I went out for a few hours on saturday afternoon to clear my head. Saw two vehicles in the parking area I'd never seen before. "What are the chances they're going to be near where I hunt?" I thought. Sure as sh!t, I saw two guys with crossbows walking through the woods like 2 guys on patrol in Vietnam while up in my tree. They walked all over, smoking butts, using the scope on their crossbows as binoculars. I'd never seen them before, but assumed they were shotgun hunters who normally hunt the woods during shotgun season. Makes me nervous for my old man going out this fall though if they're going to be on "patrol" all season. I'm sure they're good guys just trying to figure out the woods during early season.

I messed around with my gear and got it ready to go deep. I broke out my back pack that allows me to carry my bow on it and got the E-bike loaded up. I probably won't get out again until Friday afternoon. Maybe Wednesday, depends on the weather.

Justin Goins and Westfinger like this.
  14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of of Ebike do you have?

15. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope your weather is better then ours, Joe. We're currently in a monsoon. Everything is flooding. My yard, my pasture, my pens....supposed to rain until Wednesday then clear up.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 2022 version of this one. My frame looks smoother than this 2023 model, it is a step through design. I didn't want to have to hurdle my big hamhocks over a bar at crotch level when I have cold weather gear on. so far so good. I have over 125 miles on this bike and it is a BLAST to ride. I can't imagine if I had one of these when I was a kid! I've taken it to a few rail trails and have gone on 20 mile plus rides. Of course the cycling gatekeepers scoff at me when they see me on it, but you get that attitude with anything, bows versus crossbows, IPA drinkers towards regular beer drinkers, etc..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JV13W74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    oh damn! That sucks, sorry to hear!

18. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. My wife and I picked up a couple this summer and they have been a blast to ride. It has absolutely ruined me for regular bike riding. I would like to have one for hunting but I don’t really need one

19. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about getting Ebike for public cause when I do hunt public I usually hike far in but haven’t pulled the trigger on one.

20. Justin Goins

Dislikes Received:
    They got the corn all out where I hunt over the weekend. Checking cameras Friday in the middle of the day, then getting out Saturday morning for opening day. I probably won't shoot a doe until Sunday. Anyone else getting out this weekend?