Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 5

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by TJF, Jan 17, 2011.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Bow, I hope to go back to MT in a couple weeks there is so much ground over there we didnt even touch.. and unlike here in Idaho the shed hunting pressure seems to be MUCH MUCH lower! It was good consistent picking.. the entire day and a half that we tromped.

2. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    amazing!

3. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    if you have a smart phone, download the "mytracks" app. Pretty cool how it overlays your track over earth view. even if you dont have signal it will record your track via GPS and over lay it on the map when you get cell signal again. I set up my view where i have signal, and keep screen size the same when recording a track, this way the view is always there.

Dave

4. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OD thanks man, great idea. I will download that ap! I am currently getting a new phone/replacement ... the HD2 I have now ...I am having troubles with due to a broken camera glass cover.. its getting moisture in it.. ITs TU.. LOL so when I get my replacement ...I will download that ap. I shed hunt a ton of country with no cell service so it sounds like this will still work ... I may upgrade to the HD7 ...

5. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Troy,
    It should work out just fine for you. I enjoy how it records a track on the white screen if you forgot to set the view and there is no service, then when you get service it over lays the track. Great for areas you know but if its new ground setting your view is a huge help.

Dave

6. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Troy
    Hey Troy did you happen to see any cougars on your jaunts in the Hells Gate area? Remember the day we were fishing with your brother Rob and we saw that cougar chasing those 3 mulies across the side of the hill we were fishing along!! You said that was some of the best Elk area around that your army friend would hike to get too. Is that your youngest son in the picture? I'll finally get out this weekend to look for some sheds,the snow is finally starting to melt. Can actually see the green of the grass along the edges of the dirt roads now.
    Rocky

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Rocky, no lions, did cut some tracks though. Saw several hundred deer and elk in all. Hells Canyon... yes I hiked in not to far from where you went swimming! :) about 10 more miles up the river. yes Rocky, thats my youngest boy, Ty in the pic.. when I got home he was pumped. Now get out and find some Alberta sheds man Tim and I are running out of options!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good option would be to stay home for a few weeks and let me catch up :D

Grats on a great season, hopefully you got ALOT more bone in your future...

9. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got another trip to Montana on the April Agenda. :) Got a funeral to go to Sat to I will get back out in the woods Sunday.

10. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Wax.. I am on a mission to find 100 this shed season. I don't know if I can get it done by this CONTESTS MAY 1 deadline due to snow.. but I havent even touched 2/3rds of my home areas .. still snowing here this week. We have been pounded. I guess it turned out to be a good thing because it forced me to travel to bare ground in Central Idaho and Montana.. I won't have my stuff picked here until the end of May.. early June.

11. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tyler didn't come home for the weekend so that left the old man to blunder around all by himself. :( I am really enjoying walking around in the muddy corn fields... NOT !!!! It sucks. I would slop around for a while in the corn fields and then find dry ground ( grass along the edges ). The majority of sheds will always be found in the grass or edges of the corn field but we try to walk the fields themselves to save the farmers some flat tires. Two guys are nice so you can cover some ground. Plus you only have half as much slop to walk through !!! I really am missing Tyler for this. Anyways... since I haven't died of heart attack tromping in the slop today and I might tomorrow and the old eyes are actually finding a few... here's what I found so far this weekend.

Friday night after work...

[​IMG]

Today I started off with a skull...

[​IMG]

Then I got into a few sheds...

[​IMG]

First good find was a wanna be 5 pt shed. Picture is decieving as it scored 63 1/8. 25 inch main beam !!!! That is really good here. I could have shot this buck last fall with rifle but he was missing most of his other side. It was snapped off right after the browtine.

[​IMG]

Next was a good 4 pt shed ( 60 3/8" ). I could have also shoot him with rifle but passed hoping for something a little better. Was glad to find a shed to each buck to see how big they really were as I had both them estimated at about 140. Both buck are very mature.

[​IMG]

Last of the day was a cool double browtined shed. Hard to see in the picture.

[​IMG]

I'll get a group shot of them tomorrow at the end of the day. Hoping to pick up a couple more as I only got done with half the field. Oh and I did find a really small forky last Monday during dinner break by the farm I work at. I'll throw him in the group shot as well.

Tim

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  12. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got Out Yesterday

Been a while since I did some snow shoeing,was a great day a field even though I didn't find a shed. Snow was great going to the bush and I checked the bales the deer were feeding on all winter,man they demolished about 70 bails of Alfalfa. Farmer is going to be pissed he has about 300 Roll bails and 70 of them are eaten. This bush in the winter will hold up to 60 deer and it's only 45 acres in size. Tonnes of sign and moose sign too. I'll go back in 2 weeks,the snow was still up to my waist in the bush. Found 2 other hot spots that are close to where I had Will sitting on his hunt here with me. Got me pumped for next season already . Good finds TJF. Sure nice to get out and about ,spent 6 hours hiking through most of the 45 acres.
    Rocky

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been getting out after work for a couple short walks. Found 4 more sheds.

Monday night's shed...

[​IMG]

Tonight's sheds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

better shot...

[​IMG]

gumbo shed...

[​IMG]

Tim

14. kansasjosh

kansasjosh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man Tim Congrats!!! Really good late finds bro!

15. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice TIM! I took Jess turkey hunting today, HIS FIRST big game hunt, he turned 10 today! Long story short we got into the turkeys about 30 of them, I got on the calls and immediatly we had 3 jakes come screaming in, Jess hit the deck and layed in wait as I called about 10yards back in the trees.. he got a great shot at a jake at 12 yards and sadly blew up the only big limb laying in his way as he was shooting upslope from a laying position. the limb was a big one that had fell from a tree, it was just lying on ground.. ..man I was so bummed for him. He had a great attitude and was still very JACKED up about how much fun it was to be in all that turkey NOISE and action! But he loved every minute of it. We had 3 big goblers screaming off in the woods about 50 yards...out...anyway we also found my 60th shed on our turkey hunt hike back to the pickup.. I will post a few pics later. Getting ready for Jess's bday party right now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  16. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice Tim.

17. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tell Jess to hang in there, Troy. His old man will put one in front of him before this spring is over, I guarantee it.

Tell him that if he'd have gotten that one, he'd be done, so it's a good thing he didn't tag out. This way, he gets to go back out and hunt twice as much!

I'll send you a pic if I do any good tomorrow - I'm headed north for my elk shed hunt. Guys have already picked the hell out of them, but I'm hoping to luck into a straggler.

Good luck fellas. Keep haulin' em out.

18. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Fran and best of luck with those ELK! We should definately get on more turkeys this season. I am off to Montana boys for 2 days of shed hunting, should get at least 20 hours in. My bud and I have 5k acres to hit. Wish me luck! Report back in Monday morning... :)

To the rest of my TEAM ... Help TIM AND I OUT! come on brothers we need to make a big push here in the next 15 days!

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had to to take a tractor over to a guy yard on Thursday as he buried his truck in his yard and needed a pull. After pulling him out and on the way back to the farm... I spied a shed out in a field as I was driving the tractor. :moose:

Friday we got snow so that pretty much killed the weekend for shed hunting. Tyler and I did sneak out this evening for an hour before we got snowed out. I found a decent matched 4x4 set.

[​IMG]

Here is the set again plus Thursday's shed.

[​IMG]

Tim

20. kansasjosh

kansasjosh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tim you're killin me man!! and all good ones too lately...don't know how you're doin it but congrats bro heckofa season.

How about a KS/ND trip swap next year? Would be fun I'm sure!