>>----Team 5: Pa55 Thru Po55e---->

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Tony, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not someone who ever scores deer because I'm a meat hunter and maybe this will sound silly but how do 6 pointers not have a G3? The brow tine is the G1, then they have a G2 and G3. Am I missing something?

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your idea of a g3 is the tip of the main beam which is already counted with the main beam score, otherwise it would be counted twice

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Obviously I wouldn't mean to count it twice, but I was just thinking it would still be considered a G3. For a 6 pointer the G3 is the main beam, so I see the technicality of it, in terms of scoring at least.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Nice buck!!

Welp I got myself a new un-dented thermos, new fleece facemask (lost my other one) and i've got a spot on the map that i'm somewhat hopeful about for tomorrow morning. There's a slight shelf in the hillside that runs into a ravine and i've seen does head there around mid-day. Never been up there before but i'm just gonna try to setup just downwind of it, use some estrous scent wicks and hope for the best!

Only seen two shooter bucks on the hoof and no shot at either this year. Hopefully that changes. :bow:

5. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everyone tomorrow I think it could be a busy weekend. Taking the kids out tomorrow around 10:30am and sit until early afternoon.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a terrible morning. 20mph winds and not a single deer sighting. So far this "rut" if it's even truly started here yet, has sucked. I haven't been skunked twice in a row like this in a long time...

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, movement wasn't as good as I anticipated this weekend.... Saw some deer both Sat and today but still nothing I wanted to shoot and I'm not really that picky :-) Weather forecast is calling for a 20 degree drop in temp the next 2 days - so have a feeling that should get the deer on their feet.... Gonna be a cold little affair tomorrow, at least from what my body is used to based on the sits so far this year.... 20s tomorrow with a north wind 15-20.....

8. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw my best buck of the year. Had what I figure was a 3.5 year old 4x5 at 15 yards broadside for what felt like 30 seconds... It was tough to hold off and even when he walked off I was tempted to draw :-) Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday, I had that huge 10 at 20 yards with no shot ....talk about torture...I also had a 110" buck wide open broadside at 40. Yards ...but want that ten

10. KYBowHunter8

KYBowHunter8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see yall are seeing good bucks! I only had the chance to hunt this afternoon, and seen small bucks and does saturday and sunday morning but that after noon I had a nice 130ish buck about 40 yards right at dark and couldn't get a shot. Trying to take tomorrow off from school and sit all day in hopes of catching that giant taking a stroll.

11. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    My average deer sightings so far this year is slightly higher than last year but still about 1 deer per hour hunting. The one day i hunted in the rain has made the difference though. 16 in one day, no bucks though. Only 2 out of 7 of the bucks I've seen this year were shooters and one just barely.

Hunts so far this year: 18
    Morning: 12
    Evening: 6
    Total Hours: 57.35
    -------------------------------
    Bucks seen: 7
    Does seen: 20
    Fawns seen: 27
    Unidentified: 11
    Total Deer Sightings 65
    (some deer are seen more than once)
    Deer taken: 1
    120lb Doe 9/18
    Average Temp (across all hunts): 56 deg F
    Weather Conditions Breakdown: 44% Clear; 44% Cloudy/Pt Cloudy; 12% Rain/Snow/Storm/Severe Weather
    Number of Disturbances : 1 out of 18 hunts
    - 1 coyote

12. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today was a real downer - just don't understand it... I see bucks running does but have yet to see one mature deer.... Heck, I haven't even seen them at a distance.... Guessing its that 25% of the corn that is still in that is causing problems?? Back at it tomorrow I guess - all l I can do...

13. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    My last few hunts have felt like that. Haven't seen any bucks since mid Oct and have yet to see any rut action at all. Makes it difficult to spend a whole day waiting.

Really not expecting anything exciting this weekend with temps in the mid 50s but I suppose I'll be out anyway.

14. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Warmer this afternoon, getting nervous watching my bow swing in the wind... Wind isn't the best but hopefully manageable.. Hope to see some afternoon movement. At least wind should beexcellent tomorrow...

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went out for a quick one this morning and let me tell you, the rut is ON. I saw a decent 8 we call "high and tight" (tall but not wide spread) chasing 3-4 does. I grunted and bleated and finally got them to come up from the hollow. The buck circled behind me at 30 yards and worked a rub. Unfortunately he didn't "see" where the grunts and bleats were coming from so he doubled back and continued on chasing the does. No harvest but finally seeing the action so all in all it was a good hunt.

16. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! I used to keep a journal that had temps, barometeric pressure, wind direction, etc - think I stopped it after I had kids:-) Makes me wish I would have kept it going....

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Friday is my last day with the bow .....

18. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Painful sit today boys - at least my BB had data service - service had been touch and go.... Didn't see a SINGLE deer today - which to me is just crazy for 11/13.... Two rough days in a row, things can't get much worse... Keeping my fingers crossed - looks like crappy wind for Friday and Sat - so not sure what my plan is if I'm still hunting... May have to hang a different stand or go with plan b....

19. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stay at it - still 2 days!! Good luck!

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have to work tomorrow ....