Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still getting out every chance I get. The bucks are dropping like crazy around me and I'm running out of targets to chase. I'm sure I will run into one this week, but not going to be easy. And if you don't follow on the live from the stand thread, I found one buck I was after dead. He was a beast of a buck. I'm a full season hunter, so if the rut doesn't produce, I can have a great late season as long as it gets really cold. If mild winter, then my season will be over.

Good luck guys and keep grinding! 20201108_200254.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cls74 likes this.
  2. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No Luck for me in Ohio this weekend. Biggest deer I saw was a 7 point. I did hear some chasing they the rut appears to be starting.

cls74 likes this.
  3. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i'm going to be hitting it hard starting thursday. i fine tuned some spots yesterday. i'm feeling very confident.

SparrowHawk and cls74 like this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been a rough go for many on the forum this past week. Hopefully tomorrow is the end to the silliness and Wed. opens up the midwest to some serious bloodshed

SparrowHawk likes this.
  5. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I shot one, happened fast as hell!! He was trailing a doe, wasn't an ideal shot, quartering away 40 yards.. when I stopped him he quartered even further.. I tried to slip it in there and ended up hitting rear leg. The arrow penetration looks damn good, all the way to the fetchings almost. My camera is on the right of me so the angle of the arrow is even more forward on the deer. Not sure how the quality of the video will look posting on here. I shot him at 3 trailing a doe, it's 5pm now, going to just wait until dark and sneak out to give him some time, only issue is rain coming later tonight! .. video won't upload so took still shots.. you can see arrow burried to fetchings and laying sideways.. I think its gut liver one lung

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never underestimate the power of the rear ham shot.

They bleed, and they bleed heavily.

Did you check POI yet and just a bit beyond where he ran. If he's opened up you will know it. I'll make another post from my phone on the one I shot in the ass almost after he started turning just as I squeezed with the crossbow. A lot of arteries and if you hit the femoral it is game over within 40 yds.

7. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Pics

Attached Files:

cls74 likes this.
  8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You may have got lucky and hit that artery in the leg. If not it's still in the guts and will be a dead deer. Good luck on the track and keep us posted also with any questions.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On my phone now.

Entry(6" right of tail), exit(in crease of left rear quarter) and part of the blood trail

20181107_091541.jpg

20181107_091536.jpg

20181107_090621.jpg

10. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Artery be nice but I shoot 27 3/4 inch arrows plus head and look at that penetration, its burried 2 fletchings almost, there is 2 ft of arrow in that deer going towards the good stuff IMO. 2nd shot you can see how flat the arrow lays on the hind quarter because the arrow is angled into him.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He's a dead deer, wow, that is a tough one. Hard to tell on the first pic but you may have missed the liver IMO. Arteries are plentiful back there even if not the femoral.

I'd say get out there and take some stuff that is not going to get washed out by winds and rain and heavily mark the trail. In the event you have to go back in after the storm system moves through you'll have something to go by. Ribbon tape or something, not toilet paper though.

I'm thinking you may be just in front of the femoral, but no way will that deer live beyond 18 hours, might be a strenuous track job, but given enough persistence he can be found.

Wish I was close enough to drive there and help out, definitely not going to be a fun track job unless he has already bled out hopefully.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of angle was it? Where would you have envisioned the exit in the first image? Broadhead? He's a dead deer, no question about that, just a matter of how far he could make it before succumbing to the injuries.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at it again, he has not really reacted to the shot IMO, I'm betting you got at minimum low liver and maybe even a single offside lung. I bet you get him within 150 yds.

upload_2020-11-9_19-49-41.png

SparrowHawk likes this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also there may not be much blood, all internal bleeding, unless you hit a artery. But definitely a dead deer. Time to expire is hard to determine because of not know what you actually hit in side of him. If it was me, I would check first blood and make a decision off that.

cls74 likes this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    His entry appears to be where my exit was, if those images are correct I think he'll have a dead deer pretty quick. Never mentione how far he could see him run or anything, hopefully it's a quick recovery.

Holt likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I'm thinking it's dead within 50 yards

SparrowHawk and cls74 like this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dead deer IMO, angle is questionable but he's below the spine and enough penetration to puncture the diaphragm easily, I say wrap hands on them horns tonight if you have the means to get him out of there. Betting it is a short(er) track than first thought.

shot.png

19. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just chiming in to say I have accidentally made damn near the same shot. I hit an artery in the rear “ham” I just went home after the shot and changed over for the track ... back 30 min later. Ray Charles could have followed the blood. 5 ft spray on trees etc. Found her inside 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cls74 likes this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is a dead deer 100%, as holt mentioned though, if not exit and just missed artery trail may be tough. Rain moving in is a worst case scenario for such a situation.

I'm guessing a recovery is made tonight within 150yds.