Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where-to-aim-BROADSIDE-SHOT_Page_2.jpg I would say its about 1" above and 1" to the right of the blue dot. Very slight downward angle. The arrow is still in him and I measured a full arrow, about 9 " of arrow including the broad head. Its a 125 yr. Tooth of the arrow XL 4 blade.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing high lung, and if you hit opposite shoulder, high onside lung with a bit lower offside lung, would definitley take awhile for him to fill up, and higher entry side and no exit probably not much blowing out the entry yet.

You said you think you hit opposite shoulder and mentioned he was hurting badly as he walked away and did not bed when you tracked him.

Any chance you pinned his shoulders? Arrow stuck into both og him so he does not have full functional movement and maybe cannot bend to bed down or something?

Thinking outside the box for a minute :lol:

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That thought had crossed my mind. My best guess is I hit the spine slightly under it and hit the top of of the off side lung, then lodged in shoulder. I do think I pinned his shoulders and jumping him might be a good thing, get him running and do more damage. He turned around a few time and there was no exit at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tc racing likes this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know the spine sits lower than a lot realize, but couldn't imagine you being above it still with that placement. I do not believe in the void myself, I don't think there is anything below the spine that is not lung, just wondering if it could be as low as you can get without spining and maybe just between two vertebrae and nicked a nerve that caused him to be hurting, but you were in the shoulder as well.

Hopefully you wqrap hands on him in the morning and the answers will all be there then.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's my first though when it happen. But there is nothing above the spine that would completely stop a arrow. I too don't believe in a void, it has to be a lung hit.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's it. Maybe a inch to the left. I'm puzzled, I will find out I'm the morning

9. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow Holt. I was 2 steps from putting a nice 10pt down tonight. I had a fork buck come through twice. Then had a decent 8 come through a pasture out in front of me. I do not have permission to hunt the pasture. Had 2 more small bucks come up a trail inside the woods from same direction as the 8pt. Just inside of the woods is a fence the put up to keep the cows in the pasture. My stand is at the highest point on the property. It is all downhill around me.The big 10 came up from the bottom and cut across the corner of the property i hunt and was heading to the pasture. He stayed on my side of the property line all the way up to the fence. Turned and walked right at me. He rounded the corner and walked behind a big tree 16 yards in front of me and I drew. He took 1 step past the tree and stopped with no vitals showing. Picked his head up and looked around a bit. Backed up, turned and walked away from me. Jumped the fence into the pasture. Stood out in front of me at 25 yards for 20 minutes eating in the pasture. Could have pulled the trigger multiple times but not on my property. Will be back out Saturday or Sunday. Pictures are of the 8pt and my stand location. 20201030_172014.jpeg Screenshot_20201030-220532_Maps~3.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

cls74 and Holt like this.
  10. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    cls74, tc racing and Holt like this.
  11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys no luck on finding the buck. Never found one thing of sign after the stuff I found last night. No idea of were he went. Put in about 10 miles just today walking every thicket I could find. I hope he makes it.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks, bound to happen to us all every now and again, just sucks when we're the one it happens to.

Hopefully you'll lay eyes on him again and at least know he's still alive.

13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I may put the camera out again in same spot to see if I get any pics of him. I did get a few pics of him the last 2 days, he just showed up about 3 days ago, so not a local buck.

I talked to a buddy who has shot alot of big bucks on his life. He said he shot a buck in the exact same spot one time and never recovered. The buck showed back up 2 months later chasing does and he shot it with a rifle. Said it still had 12" of arrow inside of him, just under the spine. Thinking that's what happen here.

14. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks Holt. I've spent half days helping with friends grid searching for their deer. Its a bummer when you finally say that's it. You gave it your all. Hard to imagine that deer are running around with half of an arrow in them.

Holt likes this.
  15. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    Will try to be in stand by 2. Doubt I see anything with the way the wind is howling. 22-25mph out of west. Not a bad wind for my stand. Anything out of the north to west is good.

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just got done making final preparations for the rut. it's go time now.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys! Anytime for the next few weeks is a good time to be in the stand.

Someone needs to put a buck down to get this team rolling! Come on captain, did you make it out for your first sit?

18. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Negative, started up the 4 wheeler Friday night and it would not stay running again. Rebuilt the carb the shop was supposed to have rebuilt last November, this past Spring/Summer and it was running like a champ. There's no way I can drag a deer anymore and if I went without the 4 wheeler I know something would have offered a shot. Between the others hunting, the winds and full moon I'm not overly disappointed in not making it for Halloween sit.

Took the carb back off and cleaned all the jets yesterday and installed an inline filter, hoping some sediment or something was in the tank and clogging the jets, only thing I can think of that hasn't been done.

2 days at work then rutcation starts, learned today a coworker/high school friend I talk to several times a day at work tested positive, hoping I don't come down with it. That would put a damper on things big time.

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know several people who has got it and almost all of them said it wasn't much worst then a bad cold. But it effects all people differently. Best not to get it at all. With the other people hunting is it possible to get them to help you?