Team 5 Check In

Discussion in '2013 Turkey Hunting Contest' started by POWERHAWK_11, Mar 17, 2013.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Called in another mature gobbler last night. Had 3 decoys set up. Jake and 2 hens. I got out kind of late so I rushed to get them set up. Gobbler came right to my jake decoy and starting sizing him up. Pecking at his head. Spurring him, etc. The problem I ran into was I put the jake decoy to close to the box blind that we have up in the air.

I could almost get a shot at the bird when he circled the jake on the far side. I had drawn back several different times and was getting anxious after about 5 minutes of him being right by me. I tried to stand tall and decided I would take a shot once he circled back around. I pulled back and had the pin on his head. I'm not one to take a head shot, but I figured it might be my best option. I let the arrow fly to hear a big thud. Not a good thud. I had put the arrow into the wood on the outside of the window. I must have twitched when I shot. I'm assuming since I was on my toes that is what happened. I knew it wasn't a great shot so that is partly why I was going for a head shot. Figured if I missed it wouldn't hurt anything.

So I grab another arrow and get it nocked. The bird didn't move from the jake. I decided no more hero shots and just sat to wait him out. After 15-20 minutes off the gobbler pecking at my decoy and spurring him he started to hear birds roosting. I finally was going to get my shot at him again. Set up in a different window where he would be coming through. Drew arrow back and it fell out. Grabbed dropped arrow and re-nocked. Tried drawing again and same thing happened. The end of this story doesn't end in a bird.

I'm thinking my serving got messed up with the shot I hit the wood with. The nock split the arrow some. Good news is that the nocturnal I had on actually went off. The glowing red light in the stand was my turkey red light district. My cheap decoy seemed to be indestructible. The G5 TI really had so many emotions going on the whole time...laughter, frustration, mad, happy.

Going to bow shop to get my bow and string looked at to make sure nothing else is wrong and hoping a new serving will fix the problem.

Went out early this morning calling for my dad and we didn't get anything to come in.

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have been watching a flock of birds here all week. Couple of really good toms. Hopefully I will put one on the ground on Saturday.

3. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Bow is fixed. Of course when I took to the bow shop the arrow wouldn't fall out. I insisted it be re-served and they did. First arrow dropped out after re-served. Person that was working on it couldn't understand what was going on. She ended up adding some extra serving where the arrow is nocked and that seemed to fix it. She said cams and string were fine.

Hopefully no more screw ups if I can call another one in. I'm giving them a heck of an education. Be out tomorrow afternoon.

4. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Got too busy this weekend to get out. Planted some trees on our farm so it wasn't all bad. Went out late last night and saw 2 birds that I believe were gobblers, but didn't bring my binocs. Couldn't get them to come in. Hopefully get out late tonight again and give it a try.

Anyone else getting out or seeing anything? Good luck.

5. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys for being inactive on here, have had alot of school work and regular work. I've been able to get got everyday since the season opened on Monday. So far one gobbler and 4 hens. It's really weird this year. The birds are totally
    Unresponsive to calling.

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Wasps are sure loving this warm weather in the box blind. After getting stung twice recently they are getting more of my attention than I would like. Real nice day. Hoping they come to roost near me and I can get one. We need some turkey. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

7. MassBow413

Dislikes Received:
    Missed a jake this morning. 25 yard easy shot and the string grabbed my face mask and the arrow went right under him. Happens to everyone, now just have to go back out and finish the deal

8. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough luck bud

9. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Had 3 jakes come in this morning. Probably 40 yards or so. Could have shot, but I decided I was only going to shoot a jake with an easy shot.

Too bad on the miss. I got you beat on misses though. Don't try to catch me.

Picture is of g5 t3 through wood window board. Worked pretty well for the turkey.

Attached Files:

10. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Pic of blood from first bird I hit and hunting tree house as we call it.

Attached Files:

11. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the luck scarps. I will be out for the next two days hoping to put us on the board with the stick and string.

12. MassBow413

Dislikes Received:
    hopefully ill put one down tomorrow or saturday

13. chester33

chester33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, been super busy with school the later part of April and beginning of may and have only been out a few times. No luck, lots of gobbling on the roost but can't get anything to work. Hoping to put one on the ground by the 19th.

14. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Last week here for me to hunt birds. I'll be shooting any jake I see. Getting out later tonight and going out tomorrow morning. Hoping to find some morels and bag a turkey. Good luck to anyone else still hunting.

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't make it out this morning. Last night had birds all around. 6 gobblers seen. Most I've ever seen in one sit. Different groups. Had the big one of a group of 4 coming in and was around 60 yards away when a tractor comes back and started doing field work. It was coming right at my decoys. They all ran at them after calling one time. I shut up and they kept coming in very slowly until tractor.

Oh well, the farmer getting stuff planted is much more important than me getting a turkey. It was a fun night. Saw a baby fawn come out and lay down in grass.