Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 5 ( 2012 ) check in

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by TJF, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really happy to see your seasons kicking off strong Tim and Troy. Very nice!

2. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right on Dave! yeah I was pretty stoked to see we picked you and indy up! Nice finds bud, I'd like to see us repeat! I got a lot of snow again! grrrr.. but have some great areas to hit later this month. I will be getting out this weekend, I will see how it goes!

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The shed tally is up to date. Congrats on the two sheds Dave !!! I found a small 3 pt shed on Monday. Will post pictures later. Things are still very slow here with most still carrying. I need to set up 2 cameras in other spots to see what is roaming there. With the warm temps the deer are just not moving to even long range scout so I will need to rely more on trail cams to see what is there and when they drop. This is the most I have ever used trail cameras in the winter.

Tim

4. cwoods

cwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We out yesterday for a quick walk. No sheds but did find another dead head.

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally, the snow is melting! I will be out all day tomorrow! March should be a great month for me, I am making two trips to Montana...good numbers over there!

6. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    i picked up 5 sheds today ; ) will post pictures later.

7. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    6.5 miles on a new piece today in MD. thought it was going to be a bust but started to pick up antler after antler in a bedding area as the day drew to an end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one dead head to... I left it though.

[​IMG]

Today's hero shot -

[​IMG]

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Dave !! Congrats !!

Most bucks are still carrying here. They are talking nasty weather for tomorrow so I won't get out until next weekend. Might hit a couple spots next week during dinner break in an area where there is competition with another guy looking. Otherwise just waiting for more to drop.

Tim

9. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    thanks tim and good luck with the weather.

jumped a couple bucks yesterday. was in some real sheddy spots in the morning and was surprised i didnt come up with any sheds till the eveniing. could have a lot to do with sun being high in the sky as well. always harder to find them when the sun is making everything glow. the sun went behind some clouds and started to set as i got into this bedding area.

10. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Dave!

Im going out right now, just waiting for my buddy to get here. Im ready to put in some miles today!

11. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, I was finally going to start logging some hours afeild till the snow blew in this weekend. Got a foot and bit yesterday and another 6 inches over night. Bucks are starting to drop up here in good ole Alberta, my friend has his trail cams out and said there dropping by his place out at the lake. Now to go out and snow blow the drive way. And I thought spring was on it's way:lol:.With the little bit of snow we had this year it's no wonder the snow starts to fall now,were lucky if we've got 6 inches in the last 5 months! Oh well! Will wait a few more weeks before it even enter's my mind of getting back out there.
    Outdrdave
    Looks like you have a few mature 2x2 point bucks walking your land,the one looks to have good main beams of 18 inches, that's fairly big for a 2x2 any where! Good luck on your travels and great finds.Sorry team for not supporting you all,been hecktic around here. Now I got to go to the airport tomorrow night and pick the wife up coming in from Thailand, been gone for a month on a mission trip,she'll be coming back to reality ,LMAO,snow!

Rocky

12. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

thought i was gonna get to go... 8 inches of snow over night put a damper on mine, then a blizzard this Sat, 8 more inches..and 5 more inches today, sunday.. got me twiddling my thumbs.. grrrr

13. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DAVE! nice brother!

14. cwoods

cwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Dave!

15. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, I walked my butt off Sunday and crawled through 40 acres of the thickest, nastiest, bedding there is, only to come up empty handed.

I found bed after bed after bed and not a single antler in them. I was almost certain I was going to to find one laying in a bed. I jumped a ton of deer in there too. Sunday was just not my day. I am licking my wounds now, I have pin pricks all over me from crawling through the briars.

I also came across this young feller who had just recently shed his antlers. I think he was hit by a car and died from internal injuries. He was very healthy looking and was not skinny at all. Plus our winter has been anything but tough.

Its a shame to find them like this, he had only been dead for a couple days at the most. On top of that his antlers were no where to be found. I will be back at it again next weekend though :)

It was still good to just get some good ole fashioned exercise and enjoy the outdoors.

Attached Files:

16. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out again last night guys for a quick hour walk and found another dead buck. It's a shame, he is a good 2 year old and next year he would have been a nice one. Thats 3 dead bucks so far this year, 2 with antlers and one without. :sad:

I have also found 3 dead does all from this winter. This winter, or lack there of, has been anything but tough. I wonder what is killing all these deer?

I can't find a shed to save my life either. It isn't from lack of effort I'll tell ya. I'm going to be back at it again starting tomorrow morning guys. We got to bear down on these last couple months of the contest!!! Good luck finding some bone this weekend!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  17. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out today for the first time this year on my day off managed to get three sheds 2 deadheads 1 had the antlers sawed off. 2 sheds were from previous years one was fresh I think the two on the left maybe the same buck a year later.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eric

You hate to find the dead ones... especially a nice one !! I found a dead head this weekend. Massive buck that we have found 3 years worth of sheds to in prior years. Was a bit bummed to say the least.

Lastoneout

Congrats on the 3 sheds !! I'll get them in the tally.

Tim

19. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Persistance pays guys!!!

I finally broke the ice and found my first 2012 shed. Alot of hours went into this shed, haha.

Hopefully that gets the ball rolling now and I find a couple more.

Who made it out this weekend?

Attached Files:

20. Outdrdave

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet Eric, that smile says a lot. Those dead heads are hard on the heart.

Nice finds Lastoneout..

I havnt made it back out. Still seeing to many trail camera pictures with bucks still holding and hearing word of bucks still packing. its hard to stay out of the woods, but with limited time... just playing my cards. Have a trip planned out to Illinois in 3 weeks, hope to see some things change by then.. Its a long drive to be jumping multiple bucks with bone.

match em up -