Team 35 Check-In/Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 25, 2012.

1. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't hesitate either. It may be that I am hunting arkansas deer, but he looks pretty mature to me. Is that the only pic of him you got? Seems like he bedded down there. Lets see some more if you got em.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only one the guy got to me. Said he only had two, and the camera angle makes it look like he was bedded, but this is an exit trail from woods into open grass fields towards food crop fields. I only know this because I know where the guy hunts and where his cameras are hung (seriously only maybe 3-500 yards away from one of our stands). Great guy and he keeps me posted on what he's seeing.

His body does shout mature, and his bases look great but his tines don't look maturely developed which is why I'd put him at 3 1/2 oldest, but we have a lot of 2 1/2 year olds that look like that. I need a more side profile picture to estimate better age, and with better pictures I may actually know this buck...he would have been a 3x4 last year if it is him...now 4x5 very possible. I underestimated this buck the more I look at him and if he comes by while hunting the homestead property I think I'll know instantly he'd get an arrow, but we'll see, I always know if I'm going to be happy or not the second I see them.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my word...wait....you guys don't think this could be Bow...the old boy we've been chasing for a few years now? If so he may be starting his decline.... here's last year picture:

[​IMG]

now the new guy:

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The mass difference is what is keeping me from saying no....unless it really his him and his starting his decline.

*As I look through other pics I am beginning to have no doubt it ISN'T Bow....but it s very nice buck and one I think I may have just have to try and get my hands on haha!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't look like the same deer to me. The new guy has a lot higher rack, in addition to the smaller mass. I don't see anything in common really.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    :D yeah I think my hoping and praying we'd get proof of life on Bow this year caused a knee jerk reaction. They both are 5x4 the same way...haha so wasn't all that crazy...kinda haha!

7. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't count points, but here is hoping that you get a shot at either Bow or The new guy. And I think we just named him by the way.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Newcomer it'll be. :D

9. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone that is a different deer. Even though I'd not the one your hoping it would be you can't be too disappointed there is a new deer in town!

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely not, and my original thought that I'd let him walk has passed...I think camera angle and the fact I want to be pickier made me think pass first...but he'll get an arrow if the chance presents itself.

11. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't look like I will get much of a chance to be out this weekend. 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms. I have a couple close to home spots that I will run to if it clears up a little though. Does are pretty plentiful there.

12. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pretty crazy night last night at the lease. I was sitting about 30 yards in off a 3 acre bean field at the top if a ridge. Some does started filtering in around 4. They got scared off by some thundering coming from the other side of the woods.

Cows. They stampeded through and I saw nothing for an hour. They made another lap at about 6:30 and I thought my night was over.

Literally 30 secs after the cows went through 10 does and fawns came out. I was like wtf. They stayed in the field for a half hour then got scared off by some more thundering behind me.

Thinking it was more cows I didn't give it much attention. I then saw an 8 point scurry past me. Maybe a 2 1/2. I still heard footsteps and realized the noise was two bucks feeling each other out.

By the time the second buck got close it was too dark to see much other than a monster body. had to be pushing 275 lbs

That's gonna be all the bowhunting for me for awhile. Headed out to WY with a couple friends to chase some elk with my 300 wsm.

Good luck to those opening in a few days

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Sounds like a great hunt, just not a great ending. I can't believe some of you are already shifting into other modes of hunting and I'm not even hunting yet haha! You guys suck! Good luck, drop an elk and get back in the whitetail saddle :D

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys just days away for all save one...sorry man :(

Time for more dirt naps to be handed out fellas!!

15. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Weather man says its not going to rain tomorrow now. So I will be back at it in the honey hole.

16. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well so much for being done for a while. Back in the tree tonight. Talked to one of the neighbors and he said there was some rutting going on last night. Not saying I believe him but I have nothing better to do. he had several new bucks on his trail camera over the last couple days so.... I've seen crazier things while bowhunting. There could be a hot older doe running around that is spicing things up.

Have any of you seen hot does this early. I hope he makes a believer out of me.

Sitting at the end of a funnel into a freshly disced rye field. my experience tells me deer get curious after a field has just been worked up.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  17. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy tell me he saw a big buck chasing a doe a week ago while shining a field. I just laughed and implied that deer usually run from trucks shining lights on them and that the doe just happened to be in front. He swore it though still hard for me to believe.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta remember the breeding season runs from pretty much September all the way through January. At anytime throughout that time a doe can get bred...so chasing is possible.

19. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Possible. Just not probable. And it isnt rut even if they are breeding.

20. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Been a slow morning in the stand boys. No action yet.

I thought it was going to be an action packed morning too.