Team 34 - Down and Dirty Out to 30

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Tony, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think? I hunted that farm (really just a hay field with A LOT of clover) 3 times last week. Its a tough spot to hunt because I park at the top of the field, walk 250 yards to the bottom of the field where my stand is, but 2 of the 3 times when I walked out there were 7 and 11 deer in the field. They didn't spook too bad. I don't even think they left the field. But my only option (property owner-wise) is to walk through the field. Think I've pressured it too much or should I give it a shot tonight. I haven't hunted it since Friday night.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The beauty of farmland is the deer are used to people ....last year I have no doubt I shagged the buck I was hunting ans still saw him twice after ....get aggressive and get him!

3. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight would be a great night to get out in the farmland and try and down one! And that buck is a good buck in my book! It's not about one person killing a monster to hold the team but all of us downing 1 doe and a nice 120 buck. I may have just scored big though, a local police department close to my city said they may need me to harvest some deer due to people complaining about the deer eating their plants and stuff, I said I would be more than happy to do some see management. It's a doe first thing too, I may just donate the meat from the does I get because I really only need 1 deer to last me a year because I'm the only one who eats it in the house

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The guys on this team need to kill whatever makes them happy....whether that's a 150 class or a Fergie buck.....WHATEVER makes you happy ..

5. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, it kills me to be sharing this with you but I lost a buck last night. Right at the last minute, at about 6:45, a really nice buck came in to 30 yards. I let the arrow fly and the luminock showed a good hit, though it wasn't a pass through, it looked like it lodged in the far shoulder. Shortly after, I swear I heard him crash. I gave him some time before going to go find first blood. The blood looked great. Pink and bubbly with what appeared to be lung in it. My phone had died so I figured I'd run to work quickly and grab my charger so I could make some phone calls for help. That also gave him an extra 45 min (round trip) to expire. Once I got back to the farm I got right on the blood. I followed it for about 50 yards but I kept getting turned around because its so incredibly thick. The property is an old overgrown pasture so its just trails through thickets and briars and vines. After about a half hour my buddy showed up and started helping me. The blood started to thin and before long we decided to back out and wait till morning for fear that he might still be alive. When we came back this morning we were able to pick up the trail. We followed it from just after 8 AM until 3PM. The blood just stopped. Even after a few hours of searching in a huge radius off the end of the blood trail we were still unable to find the deer. My fear is that the coyotes pushed him and got him. I'm so confused. He had over an hour and a half before I took up the trail. The shot looked good, the blood trail looked great for the first 100 yards. Its so disheartening. I went through this two years (though I found the deer) and it never gets easier. Last time was due to inexperience, I don't know what to contribute it to this time. Based on the signs I thought I was doing everything right. Had there been one thing to indicate it was too soon to start tracking I would have stopped. He was bleeding way more than the doe was on Saturday, and only went maybe 70 yards...if that. I feel I gave it my best effort to track him. It's impossible to zig zag or grid it out to find him. I followed all the trails I could till I hit water and the swamp and walked the waters edge. Nothing. It just eats me up that its likely I'll never see him again and he went to waste.

6. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that buddy.. Is there any local tracking dogs for hire? That may be a option, sorry to hear that man, that must be hard..

7. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for everyone harvesting their buck that they like, and I don't think I have a buck that touches even 120, maybe 110 but he makes me excited to case him and I'm perfectly fine with shooting him. Everyone should be happy with their kill. I just said that for point wise but I wish everyone the best of luck on chasing their buck/bucks this year

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chris...like I said before...that sucks bad....we have all been there...so sorry that it happened to you... doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me...any chance you can get a dog on him?

9. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I have a buddy that has a pair of hounds but he hasn't trained them. He offered to give it shot anyways but as I got into the woods I don't think the dogs would have been able to walk through without getting their pads and ears torn up. I'm going to look into trained dogs, though.

10. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's close, they always are when you find them trust me. Don't give up the hunt my friend. Good job and way to close the distance on a grocery store with hooves.

Brad.

11. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys it's raining cats and dogs here in south eastern NC. My plan is to head out tomorrow when it breaks. I'm hoping that the deer will want to get out and graze since they have been rained on for he last two days off and on.

Brad.

12. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any idea when there gonna get our team name on the post?

13. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading back out again to see if I can find him. He should smell pretty ripe by now unfortunately. At best maybe I can take the rack home although it won't be if much consolation now.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll send another PM to a mod...
    Closure will come....

15. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    I just got home from another four and a half hour search. Nothing. Not even a whiff of rotten carcass or a speck of dried blood. Either he got pushed by coyotes or he's still alive. I don't see how he could still be alive after showing such a blood trail. I work a 24-hour shift tomorrow so Friday I'm gonna go back and look for turkey vultures circling overhead.

Anyways, I won't be able to get back in the stand until the middle of next week. With work and an incredibly busy weekend, there's just no time. I should be rip roaring ready to get in the tree by then though. Good luck guys. Remember not to change your hunting styles for this contest. Shoot what makes you happy whether its a yearling doe or a 12 point bruiser. Having fun in the woods is the most important part.

16. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your luck man.. Hopefully is still alive and well so you can get a round two back at him! And having fun is what it is all about! That's what make the memories all the more exciting is it being fun. Would it be nice to shoot a Booner McNasty buck? For sure! But in all reality not a lot of us will ever see one, but I would be more than happy harvesting a beautiful 100 class 8 that I have history with just due to the story and the thrill of it. Tv has made it that if we don't shoot the bucks Lee and Tiffany are shooting than it isn't a good buck which is all but the opposite. Wish all of you the best of luck and hopefully we can have a fun and successful season this year

17. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry to hear that, keep your spirits up and move onward and forward. you would be suprised at how much blood deer can lose and still live it incredable.

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OK boys...our cheesy name is on our team thread......:o

19. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You better get used to that name because they will be talking about this team for years to come. The 2014 victors I can see it now, he'll I might even order a neon sign tomorrow!

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So...With a name like ours, what do you see our avatar containing?