Team 31

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by AlexB32, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellas, sorry its been quite a few days since I was last on here. I had a buddy come down to visit last week so my time in the tree has been very limited.

Congrats on the doe Grahambo! Youve got a sweet looking bow too!

Sharpeyesam its good to have you back, sorry to hear about the unfortunate car accident.

An update from the Kansas woods. I havent seen any of my 150" class deer in about 3 weeks, its like they've disappeared, but I know that will change once we get a little estrus in the air. The does seem to be ganging up, I'm seeing groups of 4-10 does on a regular basis. The 80 acres of wheat we planted is coming up beautifully and stands about 6 inches tall right now. It's drawn in some new deer from neighboring properties and state ground that borders us, but none are shooter class. Since passing the 140" class 9 pointer on my second morning the only other decent buck encounters I've had was with a double crab claw 8 point (120" class), a young 9 with junky brows (maybe 130 class), and a new 8 point who came in across our wheat who looked to be in that 120" class.

I dont want to mention "the lull" because honestly Ive seen tons of deer activity, just not with mature bucks. I have Novemeber 1-20th off so I'm going to be hitting the woods hard during that time looking for a rutting bruiser 150" or better. Hunting time for me before then will be pretty limited, maybe 5 or 6 more sits the rest of this month.

I'm really trying to manage our place for bigger, more mature bucks and I know I need to keep passing te 120-130" class deer to make for better hunting in seasons to come. Its tough to do, but it must be done.

On behalf of Fitz, he's messaged me and I'm passing it along to you guys, dont forget to post TWO pictures of yourself with your deer and bow to the scorecard thread and to our team thread so we can all check them out. He also wants you to include the date and time of kill with the TWO pictures. posts without a date and time will not be counted for points until that information is entered.

Good luck to all who are getting in a tree soon.

2. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    well guys, got some bad news today. The neighbor who is also a bowhunter a half mile east of us was able to harvest the big 10 I was hoping to get a crack at. The buck ended up scoring 158.5". It's a bummer, but we've had a lotta history with that buck and I was glad he was able to harvest him.

3. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well last night was amazing....

Saw four bucks. 4 pointer 6 pointer 8 point and a broken mature 10+ point who was a 15 yard broadside chip shot. Had 5 on one side and just a brow tine on the other. His body was huge. Didn't see a doe. I am still after my first buck ever and if he hasn't been broken off, He would have been dead.

I had a perfect wind. Had all four bucks walk by me and then were down wind of me. Never blew me up never saw me. Tinks works that's for sure.

Sorry I didn't take the shot on the broken deer but I have a vision of what I want as a first buck and he wasn't it.

All in all it was wonderful seeing those bucks. Perfect night and almost the ending I was looking for.

4. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome night in the tree blake! Dont apologize for not taking a buck that you didnt think was a shooter. You only get one first buck with a bow, you'll know him when you see him from the tree.

5. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Well all, the ranch got almost 3" of rain Friday night into Saturday, temperatures headed into the seventies early this week. Our wheat is going to blow up!!! The resident deer on our place are already finding it, we've drawn in some new bucks that I have no pics of from the summer. I'm thinking November is going to be sick down here. I just need a few does to start getting hot and see what the estrus drags in.

The 153" I shot last year came in to rut on our place, no prior pics of him all summer. I am sooo excited for November! There's a chance I might not kill a buck, but there's also a chance I could whack another bruiser. I feel like a kid waiting to open Christmas presents.

Good luck to all that will be on stand this week.

6. geaton32

geaton32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i will be hunting tomorrow then friday will be gone for acouple day opening muzzleloader season have to take my boy for his first deer hunt we be trying to get him hooked good luck and be safe out there

7. AlexB32

AlexB32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well got back from Western Nebraska about a week ago, the hunting was great the getting not so much. lol. We had a great time though and now I can focus on putting down a nice buck. Put together a short video if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3MPjk21_Ak

8. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas. I haven't been out in a week. Lots of life stuff going on. Class three days a week. Honey do list that never ends. Wife is 7 months pregnant w our first child, a boy.

I am going to try to get out tomorrow. High of 52 but windy. Can't kill anything when on the couch. I am going to try to get Sunday as well

Good luck all!

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i havent been out in awhile either due to classes and writing paper ...ugh i hate papers...but im hoping to get out saturday but we will see how it goes and when i get this paper done. I just want to be in a tree it feels like forever since ive been out.

10. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Uh oh. Just got a text

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep same here actually a call too. Sharpeye said he has a buck down!

12. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    X3 hearing from sharpeye! anyone heard the story on it yet or how big? He just told me buck down is all. I'm pumped someone finally broke the ice for team 31 killing a buck. I know we are some doe slaying machines, but antlers add up quick.

It doesnt look like I'll be in the tree again until the last week in october if I see some good movement on camera. Otherwise, I'm sitting back and staying out of the woods until November 1. Then it's on!

13. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    I see on the scorecard thread we're sitting at 200 points? I thought we had a doe or two more than that down. Anyone have any insight on that?

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He said a 6 or 7 pointer but a real nice one! so we will see how it is tomorrow.

15. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome I can't wait for that!

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know me either hopefully we all start putting some bucks on the ground! i know i want to put my first down:nana:

17. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    ok guys, heres the breakdown...the scorecard lists that we have 200 points. 4 does harvested by grahambo, jeffacarp, olly44, and alexb32. I searched and couldnt find where alexb32 had posted his pics, nonetheless we still have the points. Alexb32 could you confirm that you did kill a doe, maybe im just blind and skipped right over it. We still dont have credit yet for sharpeyes doe.

Sharpeye this is for you, I know you smoked a nice buck tonight, thanks for the text. I'm sure you'll be putting pictures up here of it soon. Can you please also post two pictures of yourself with the doe to the 2012 official scorecard thread? They're being sticklers on also including date and time of harvest. They must include 2 pictures for our team to get credit for the kills. We need that on the scorecard thread for both the doe and the buck.

I'm thinking we've still got a great shot fellas. We're doing better than a lotta teams and dont even have a buck on the scorecard. We've got a lotta guys living in big buck hotspots that havent downed antlers yet. We could really add up the points in November. I dont know if any of you know this, but fletch920 is a big buck killing machine. If i remember right he killed the biggest buck in this contest last year. I wouldnt be suprised if he adds 200 points to our scorecard by himself between his buck and doe. Anything can happen in November and I'm hoping we're all blessed with bruiser bucks this year. I just cant stress enough that yall need to post 2 pics of yourself with kill and date and time of harvest to the official scorecard thread. Posting it to the team thread gives us no score for the kill, its gotta go to the official scorecard thread for it to count. Good luck to all getting in the tree soon.

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I hope you didnt just jinx me!

I have not even hunted yet. I have taken my son twice and could have shot multiple does each time out but did not want to mess up his hunt. I am very fortunate to own land and hunt in one of the best whitetail areas in the country. For the last several years I have been very lucky. I hope to continue the string. But, I will not be seriously buck hunting for a few more days. I have several bucks scouted and any of them would be a great addition to our team total. Be patient with me because I am not going to hunt until the time is right and I will be pretty picky about what I shoot. But, I will put forth my best effort. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing all of your deer as the season starts to heat up!

19. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    there will be no jinx when skill is involved. good luck to you once you start getting after those iowa giants.

20. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    anyone heard from sharpeye today? did he get the buck recovered?