Team 31 - I Thought You'd Be Bigger: Official Thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by SLINGnMISS, Aug 19, 2013.

1. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on the doe

2. frosty452

frosty452 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50 more points. Sorry about the bad pics self portrait

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

3. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on the does, guys! I'm getting daytime pics of big bucks, it's just a matter of being in the right spot, now! Gun season starts a week from today in WI. Gonna hit the woods hard, rain or shine the next 5 days!

IMAG0193.jpg IMAG0293.jpg MFDC0052 (2).jpg

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry fellas, hammered hard til the end. Watched biggest buck of the season stroll under my empty Hang in 45 yards up hill yesterday. Called to no avail. Last Saturday, same thing, moved up there for the afternoon and good buck gets led by doe past climb tree. It's a sick game we play. I'll be out second season, but that's admittedly a crap shoot.

I had more shooters under 75 yards this year than ever, by far. I'm not sure if it's more fulfilling or heartbreaking.

Keep on boys.

5. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This was last Sunday, the day after I shot buck #2. This is 25 yards in front of my stand. I'm kicking myself a little for tagging out but at the same time I'm grateful for what I got this year so now I get to kick back and watch what comes through. He's pretty knarly!

[​IMG]

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel bad Ben I've had three shooters within 30 yards, shot at 2 of them, and have zero filled buck tags. You want to talk about heartbreaking....

I was admittedly feeling a little deflated last week but a weekend of good rest and relaxation with the family has me a bit renewed. Looks like I'll be out tomorrow afternoon, all day Thursday, and most likely all weekend.

Thankfully our lease is off limits to shotgun hunting so the deer should remain relatively unpressured, which bodes well for late season. If I don't fill a tag this weekend I should be out the weekend after Thanksgiving to keep at it. It's not over until it's over!!

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to sneak out for an all day hunt yesterday - figured this high pressure on the back side of these nasty storms could have them moving. Saw 12-13 deer throughout the day but the biggest was a nice 115" 2 year old. About 2 hours before dark the neighbor decided it would be a good time to clear brush along the fence with his skid steer. Said fence happened to be around 150 yards from me, which effectively cleared the food plot any surrounding ravines of nearby deer. I ended up getting down and moving to another stand, where I didn't see another deer.

I was planning on hunting local in the bow-only zone this weekend but it looks like 20 degrees and 20 mph winds on Saturday, which may be a recipe for JZ to sit on his couch and finish watching the rest of Breaking Bad. :D

8. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from vacation, and it looks like I missed the best hunting here in WI. 7 of my buddies tagged some dandy bucks. Needless to say I have a food plot that is rocking, the turnips and sugar beets will be great for rifle season and late season bow hunting. I am ready.

9. buckjeezy

buckjeezy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I am kind of in the dumps. Shot a nice buck yesterday morning at about 10 yards after he went by too far away and I called him back (walked right under my tree). Broadside shot looked good but didn't get a pass through and arrow snapped off about 15 yards from the shot. From where it broke off, it looks like I maybe got 7" of penetration. Thinking I possibly got shoulder on back side because shot looked far enough back to miss near side shoulder but hard to tell when everything happens so fast. I gave him about 7 hrs before looking for him and didn't have luck finding him. Lost blood at about 100 yards and it started raining which made it even harder. Also did a search of the area he was headed. He tore off like it was a kill shot and went to jump a fence about 40 yards away and landed on it and fell down. I thought that was him crashing. But then he got up and looked back for a couple seconds and trotted away with maybe a slight limp and that was the part I did not like. I was still pretty confident in finding him after giving him about 7 hours before tracking but was surprised not to. I am not really sure what happened, but I guess that is a part of bowhunting. Probably the worst part. Im still hoping he turns up if he died.

10. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to hunt with my bow throughout rifle season and was able to get a doe. This weekend a bunch of rifle hunters are going to be out so I'm not heading out and holding off for the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm not saying it's over for me but I can count the number of hunts remaining on one hand. Hopefully some of the bucks can make it through rifle season.

Good Luck to everyone for late season.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw this post - man, that stinks! Hope you can eventually find him, sounds like a killing shot from what you described.

I went out yesterday to do inventory after 1st gun season here in IL. 3 of my shooters are confirmed alive which is good, but the hunting is tough out there right now. Froze my buns off and didn't see a single deer from stand yesterday. That hurts.

Back at it this weekend, maybe I'll have a little better luck when the winds aren't blowing 20 mph...

12. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in the stand with the stick and string from now until January. It ain't over!

13. crxwolski

Dislikes Received:
    Hows every ones thanksgiving?

14. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I managed to get out after thanksgiving and do a little hunting. I saw this buck come in from 300yds away but when he got to 10yds he was still in some trees and I didn’t have a shot. He then went the opposite direction and I thought it was over. Eventually he came back around at 70yds and was heading off in the wrong direction. I gave him a light grunt and that was enough for him to come check out what was going on. He got to within 30yds when he met up with the Muzzy attached to my arrow. It was a great hunt and experience. I have to still score him but it is the biggest buck that I have shot with my bow.
    2013 Buck.jpg

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah man, congrats!!

I hunted all day Saturday and didn't see a single deer, so I took yesterday off to hang w/the family and watch football. Although from the sounds of it things were rocking at my lease as the guys were seeing deer everywhere. Just my luck.

Looks like crummy weather all week and then I'm off to the Mathews trade show this weekend and most of next week so I have no idea when I'll get out next. The walls of another horrible season are closing in. Ah!

16. Oklahoma99

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer! I like the symmetrical looking rack, way to make it happen :tu: I haven't been bow hunting since Nov. 9th when I shot my last buck. Once rifle season is over after this coming weekend I plan on getting after a nanny if dad doesn't get one. On the property I'm wanting to shoot a doe on, my stand is set up on a ridge that bucks like to travel on, but I've yet to see a doe travel up it. The does like to travel about 70 yards out down in the bottom. I'm too lazy to mess with trying to move my stand or blind, so I'm wanting to give hunting from the ground a shot so I can get in closer, without a blind. I've never bow hunted from the ground like that before, any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. crxwolski

Dislikes Received:
    Don't miss....

18. Oklahoma99

Dislikes Received:
    Spent an antlerless tag on some nice tender meat, first deer kill on video! It sucks that it was a spine shot but I was still happy!

Button Buck Bow Kill - YouTube

19. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been out several times the last couple weeks. Haven't seen much. Only a few does (too far to shoot) and one button buck, but I didn't want to kill a button buck. Checked my cameras today. Had a few shooters still in the area so I'll be getting out a few more times before the season ends. Good luck to anyone that's still getting out

20. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the saddle again.