Team #3 "TREE RATS" Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by jmbuckhunter, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know this one doesn't count, just wanted to share with you guys. My second doe in the last two days. Now, if I can just put a buck on the ground.

[​IMG]

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great weekend of hunting but didn't kill anything this week. Saturday morning was one of my all time best hunts. At 8:30 I saw a doe and small buck playing tag in the hollow behind me for a few minutes. At 9:30 I had a small buck chase a doe right at my stand and veer off at 10 yards. after that 6 other bucks came in following that trail, but none were as big as the buck I killed last week. Saw 8 bucks total that morning.

Saturday evening I had a big buck chase a small one off my food plot so he could be with the does. He came about halfway over to my decoy before he decided something wasn't right.

Sunday evening I saw the buck I call "Bakers Dozen" working over a bush 50 yards behind my stand. Got some video of it. But after he was thru he left the other way with half the bush stuck in his antlers.

Get out there if you can guys, it's happening. I'm headed back on Wednesday.

3. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out Wednesday-friday all day & Saturday morning. The report I got from the farm today is sounding really good. Bucks are on their feet almost all day.

4. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job RB!!

Good luck SC!!1 Lay us a giant down!!

JM - Sounds like you had a great weekend!!

It was actually a slow weekend for me here in NC. I saw a total of 8 does and zero bucks. I had two come out trotting and looking behind them but nothing ever came out. The farm manager at one of the farms I hunt called me yesterday and told me at 11:20 there was a big 12 pointer standing in the middle of a path I hunt. I said it figures being I was at work and can't hunt!! Anyway, I am going to try and go after one this evening. If not then I am off work Friday for Veteran's Day so I will hunt hard Friday & Saturday.

5. SCBigBuckHunter

SCBigBuckHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well things have been slow so far. We did see a 140+ in the field going into the farm on Sunday morning. What a stud. I also got a call from a local outfitter and he said he is going to put me and Dave on one of his private farms on Friday. So if one of us has tagged out the other will film or we will both have a shot at some bone there. Should be a good time. We have 6 more days of hunting and will pretty much live in the tree.

Good Luck everyone!

6. hammerman

Dislikes Received:
    Just a few hours & I'll be leaving for 3 1/2 days of hunting! Good luck to everyone, looks like the weather is going to be great.

7. SCBigBuckHunter

SCBigBuckHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Doe down this morning. I will post pics later. Now if a buck would just cooperate.

Doe Score submitted

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  8. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was off last Wednesday thru Sunday trying to fill my second IL buck tag. I saw plenty of deer and at least 3 bucks I would have put my tag on. One ran by chasing a doe and wouldn't stop and the other two were cruising out of range. I tried to get there attention but with the strong winds every day I was hunting they probably never heard me. I've never seen so much wind, it was 20-30 mph every day. I had lots of close encounters with fork horns last week. I think I'm the fork horn magnet this season.

I'm not giving up yet, but this was probably my best chance. I'll still be hitting the woods after gun season, but there won't be as many bucks in the woods thats for sure.

Whats going on with everyone else? Haven't heard from a few guys lately.

9. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season right now here. I haven't been doing much hunting. I do pick a rifle some, just can't really get into it. I may do some bowhunting at a nearby WMA (archery only). On vacation again Dec 11-18.

10. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still Trying.....

Well, it's been kinda slow for me the last week or two. There have been some really nice bucks killed around here the last 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately some the best cold days I could not go. I am pretty much limited to one evening a week and then Saturday so it makes it a little harder. Anyway, I am going to be hunting hard this weekend for a local event called "The Big Buck Round Up". It is a great event that is sponsored by the local Lion Club. Anyway, I will be hunting all day Friday & Saturday so hopefully my luck will change. I have seen several up and comers over the past couple weeks but no big boys yet. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing great and I wish you all the best of luck this week and weekend as we continue the chase.....

11. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll just go to bed. It's the second weekend of gun season here and the wind is blowing 20-30 mph out of the south with gust +40. Maybe this afternoon I'll go out a couple of hours before sundown.

12. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed to the farm in a little while. Hope to see some late rut activity. I've heard rumors that its still going on.

Gotta check and see what the neighbors killed during the gun season.

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    John,

I saw some chasing in Missouri on Tuesday. The elk rut was late here in Colorado. I truly believe everything in running about two weeks behind this year...just my observations.

Good luck out there! Knock one dead!

14. hammerman

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys this has been the year of coulda , shoulda, woulda! I haven't posted much because i've been extremely frustrated. Since I started hunting this farm 5yrs ago I've taken 2 bucks roughly 110" and one roughly 120". I decided this was the year to hold out for a bigger buck. I've had some nice one's on camera & seen some in the distance that would go 130"-150". I've passed several that would go 120", out of frustration a week ago I shot at a really nice racked 8pt that was 120" but shot over his back @ 25yds which only added to my frustration.

Friday I went out & went to an area with my climber that I've only been in twice. I found a tree that I started to climb but changed my mind & moved 30yds further up the ridge. I got settled in & 10min later I see a 130"buck 50yds away and he walked 20yds west of the tree that I almost climbed. About noon I was going to leave & drove thru the farm to check stands & spotted a buck bedded down on a ridge over looking the pasture I watched him for 20min. He was 175yds away & We had strong winds so I decided to put a stalk on him. We had a SW wind & I circled around to east & started my stalk thru some nasty briars about 3' tall. It took me 1 1/2hrs to get 25yds from him, he had no clue I was in his area. I needed 3yds more to have a clear shot. The wind gusted & I made my move but without me knowing another deer had come in behind me & when I moved it blew twice & ran away. That made the buck look my direction so I just dropped to my knees with some thick brush between
    us. We had a stare down for 20-30min, so long that I couldn't feel my feet for the blood getting cut off fro kneeling so long.
    Finally he had enough & stood up to leave. I stood & came to full draw at the same time but he turned away from me with only his rear facing me. He trotted off leaving me very frustrated but feeling somewhat accomplished just for getting that close to him.
    no one on the farm has ever seen this buck. He's a very BIG 6pt, I've never wanted a 6pt so bad since I started hunting 12yrs ago. This is the biggest body buck I've ever seen and one of the tallest racks I've seen on the farm.
    Here's a couple of pics, one I took thru my binoculars when I first spotted him & the other is of the tips of his rack where he was bedded when I was at 25yds from him. big 6 bino pic.jpg big 6 zoom 25yds.jpg

The pics don't do him justice, he was about 18" wide & brows about 5-6" & G2's about 10" tall. He was just a cool looking buck & I think he was just old. Oh well sorry I haven't contributed a buck YET! Still lots of time left in the season.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  15. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know the Feeling

Hammerman, I know the feeling Buddy!! I am not even seeing any nice bucks. I have got plenty of pics, I've got the food, and I've got the cover but still no mature bucks. Everyone around me is seeing good deer or killing good deer. I take into account more than most of the hunters around me but have not been successful on a mature buck yet. However most are using a rifle but still....I have one buddy who has been hunting 3 times this year. Two of those times he has shot mature bucks. It has been really frustrating for me as well. Luckily our season last to January 1st. I have not hunted since Saturday the 19th and I will not be able to go back until Thursday the 1st. Hopefully I will be able to meet up with a buck myself before the end of the season.

I hope everyone else is getting to hunt and having a great time!!

16. jpierce

jpierce Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys been slacking on the updates. I shot a button buck a couple weeks ago thinking it was a doe. Otherwise I haven't had much luck this season. Hope every body is doin better than me.

17. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    On vacatin this week, should be able to get some standtime in. Wish me luck!

18. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JPierce, my Dad did the same thing yesterday.

Good Luck RB!!!

I shot a antlered doe last week which was a first for me. They had not broke the skin yet but they were definitely points. The game warden told me I would have to register it as a buck if they had broke the skin even though it had all female parts.

Anyway, I hope everyone is still out there trying. I am not hunting as much as I would like but I out there whenever I can be. I have seen small bucks and does mostly. I have seen one mature buck but it was hauling butt when I saw him. I am going to hunt hard the next couple weeks being we get off a couple days for Christmas and a day for New Years. Anyway, good luck to all of the Tree Rats!!

19. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ohhhhhh....by the way John- Your article on smoking had my mouth watering at 8:00 o clock this morning. My wife bought be a grill that is made by Char Griller from Lowes. It is the Duo model that is half gas and half charcoal with a side burner and she got the smoker box attachment to go with it. I have not used it yet but I have everything I need to try it out. Here is a pic of one like mine.

chargriller-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  20. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have fun with the smoker/grill Josh. I know mine will be getting a lot of use.

I've been hunting most weekends, looking for a really good buck to top off my season. I'm seeing a lot of deer, mostly small bucks,does, and fawns. But I'm still getting pictures of Bakers Dozen as well as a couple other good bucks. I'm hoping my food plot wil draw one into range during the late season.

No hunting this weekend tho. My daughter is graduating from College after 3-1/2 years. So I'll be in Columbia, MO this weekend attending the ceremony and moving her back home.