Team 3 - THE BIG DEALS - Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by willhunt4food, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have not got my rack back yet. A young kid shot a really nice buck, but ruined the cape. My buck was a bit bigger body wise and the cape was perfect. So I gave the kid my cape, just waiting for the antlers.

His right side is busted and he has a semi Rob thing going on the left.

He came in 181 Lbs dressed, as I thought he was a 2.5 or a really small 3.5. I am gussing 2.5.

Pretty sure this is him

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All day sit tomorrow over an area with some fresh scrapes. Saw a 140, maybe bigger on tonights hunt. Biggest deer I've seen in several years. I am so pumped I can hardly think about sleeping.

3. willhunt4food

willhunt4food Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buck down! just a small 7pt. but they are points we need!

Attached Files:

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!!! willhunt

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job man, we'll take points any way we can get them!

Had a pretty slow weekend, just saw a bunch of does and some small bucks. The big guys still seem to be hiding.

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Justin and Germ :rock: Now get Christine on the band wagon :p

7. Mo_bowhnter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a rifle tag so I can hunt the next couple weekends. I usually sit out rifle season but since no one rifle hunts this piece of ground that I am hunting on plus seeing a 160's class last friday, I need to be out there. Hopefully I can get the neighboring hunters to push some deer into my area.

We'll see what happens.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a 140 class buck this morning. He was sort of following a doe. She walked by my stand at only ten yards. He stops about 50 yards away and makes a scrape. Then he notices a small buck coming in behind him. He runs off after the little buck, leaving me and the big doe he was following all heartbroken. :(

During the evening hunt, I had a doe fawn camp out by my tree for quite some time. Then a 1.5 year old fork horn strolls in and makes a half-hearted attempt to chase her. They do this for a bit and then I see a 2.5 year old buck come in. He checks out the fawn and isn't impressed. The forky actually did a snort-wheeze at the 2.5 year old buck.... but it sounded more like a zerbert and was pretty funny.

Here's my cell-phone pic of the 2.5 year old tempting me to kill him. (note to self.. use real camera next time)
    [​IMG]

I have three generations of deer in front of me and I'm thinking.. yeah, at any moment 3.5 years old and 4.5 years old will show up. And then the deer look behind me and freak out and run away.

Now, I could hear hikers out on the trails for most of the afternoon. Because apparently nothing is cooler than YELLING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS WHEN YOU'RE WALKING IN THE WOODS!! But this was different. This was getting close. Pretty soon these idiot hikers are right behind me. They aren't allowed to leave the designated trails... but what am I supposed to do? Shoot them? (They were more tempting than the young bucks) Grrrrr..

Here's one of the hikers.. he's actually looking at me because he could see the flash on my cell phone camera, but he never does figure out that there is a person in the tree. Dumbass.
    [​IMG]

I did call the park security and they drove down on a four wheeler and ran them off.

I love public land. :D

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I never quite understood why people just randomly go walking through the woods for no apparent reason.

But then again....I'm sure people don't understand why we sit in trees for hours on end, freezing our butts off, trying to kill stuff.

I have faith in you Christine, you'll pull it off before the book closes on this season!

10. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your buck willhunt! And Germ that was very nice of you to give your buck's cape to that kid.

JZ, that's for having some faith in me. My biggest challenge is really time. Today is work all day-day. Tomorrow is drive up to Chicagoland and drop off a truck load of winter squash day. Then hopefully, I can hunt a bunch as the rut heats up... doing just enough work to keep from getting fired and just enough school work to keep from failing. heh heh. :D

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you ask nicely I will bring your safety rope to the office tomorrow and you can come pick it up. I figure 3 years is long enough for me to have it in my garage. :D

12. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty please???

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going to stop by I'll throw it in my truck tonight. I just found it in one of my old bins last weekend so it's sitting out in my garage right now. It's my small piece of memorabilia from our time together.

14. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Aww... You'll still have that shiny stainless steel trophy. And I hear there's video somewhere of our escapades. :)

I'll be there. If you forget to bring it... I'll come to your house. Be warned. ;)

15. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad most are doing so well. I appologize for not posting my doe in the contest yet. Will get it done soon and hopefully add a nice buck as well later this week. Congrats to all whose scoring and good luck to the rest of us.

16. willhunt4food

willhunt4food Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we might have a doe down! not sure where i hit her. gunna give her time. the arrow stayed in her with the green nock lighted up like a christmas tree!

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I busted my hump loading up 250+ winter squash into my truck (which took forever), hauling them up to Chicagoland, unloading them all (took half of forever), then driving back to home... stopping only for some Brown's chicken some gasoline and 50lbs of chicken feed and a bale of wood shavings at the local Farm & Fleet. Got to Farm & Fleet 10 mins before they closed.. woot!

So, 320 miles later, I'm back at home. Unloaded the feed and shavings, took care of the critters... loaded all my hunting stuff in the truck and went to bed.

When the alarm went off at 3:15am ... I could barely move. I guess all that running around and loading/unloading at least 700lbs of squash was a bit more than my old body could recover from with only four hours of sleep.

Drat.

Tomorrow I'll crawl out there if have to. :(

18. Mo_bowhnter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed out in the morning with my orange on. Tomorrow officially starts gun season in MO, right as the rut heats up!! Hopefully some of the neighboring hunters can push some deer to me. I will let you guys know how it goes.

19. Mo_bowhnter

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled my camera after this mornings hunt and this guy was on there...

Attached Files:

20. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Mo.

No luck finding the doe Willhunt?

So far only little bucks are coming within range. This guy will be nice in another year. He actually had some tall tines. (he's an 8 pointer)

Cell pic again. Real camera was under rain protection.
    [​IMG]