Team 3 - Team 3reeTrunks

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by dnoodles, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas to you and the Mrs! Hopefully you guys are feeling better soon. My wife was down and out for 2-3 days, then took another 3-4 days to get back to 100%.

I hunted last night and actually saw six living, breathing whitetail deer. It was amazing! Two little bucks and 4 does. I would have shot one of the does - she's a big, old, gray-faced nanny. But the bucks were still full of piss and vinegar and ran them off before they could get close enough.

Next trip out looks like Sunday, depending on weather.

2. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas Team 3!

Went out last night didn’t see squat. Gonna try and get out a few more times before we close last day is the 31st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    doesn't look like anywhere I hunt is going to get snow through the rest of the year. Bummer, I have a spot only an hour and a half away that gets hammered by does and young bucks in daylight when theres a few inches of fresh snow.

4. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wl704 likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for a hang-and-hunt in the saddle last night and once again saw zero deer. Just me and the tree! We finally have snow and cold coming later this week so hopefully, we'll get some decent hunting before it's all said and done.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I sat yesterday with the rifle. I finally saw deer, in the evening, but no shot.

If I sit Sat, it likely will be with the rifle. Don't think I'll be hunting Urban archery in Jan. So barring the unforseen, sorry I couldn't help the team this year...

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel bad - it happens to all of us!! Myself included.

It's snowing pretty good here right now. Contemplating an afternoon sit just to enjoy the late-season weather for a change. Plus, I have intel that 2 of my shooter bucks were close by this morning. May be worth going after them - just have to brave the crappy roads to get there.

Hammer1171, Junior and dnoodles like this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For the third time this year, I had a shooter in bow range with no shot. I swear, this just isn't my year!

I had a 1.5-year-old buck come through right at last light and present a perfect shot opportunity. He kept looking behind him and as soon as he left I could hear grunting from the direction he came. All of a sudden a doe comes trotting through with the buck I'm looking for on her heels. Instead of crossing the creek like the small buck did earlier and heading toward the cornfield, she bolted back into the woods. The buck stood on the far side of the creek crossing at 22 yards, contemplating what to do next. Needless to say, chasing tail won. It always does. So he turned, went back into the woods, and that was it.

I'm drying all my clothes and gear that got soaked tonight and will be back after it tomorrow. Another day, another opportunity!

WakeCow and dnoodles like this.
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    at least you're in the chase!

10. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Goodness! Justin/Guys, i feel for you. Certainly not for lack of trying!!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a safe upcoming new year!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Last Thursday I had my fourth shooter of the year in bow range and couldn't get a shot. This is becoming a trend! Long story short, had a 150" 8 point sneak in from downwind when I wasn't looking. He got a little nervous and jogged through my shooting lane as I was reaching for my bow.

I've passed super close shots at some big does the last couple hunts. No more passing! If one steps out tonight, she's getting drilled.

Junior likes this.
  12. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The bucks are finally getting frisky here. The weather is finally getting right I woke up to snow and 27 degrees this morning. I am seeing several young bucks chasing but have not seen the buck I’m hunting. Here’s a pic of him working a scrape. B1E58F56-7FEF-4439-97A4-F6903CB0B99F.jpeg

Junior, WakeCow and Justin like this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This just isn't my year. :lol:

Went out last night to try and shoot a doe. I had a hundred pics of them next to my stand all day long yesterday. Got to my stand and the wind was swirling worse than I've ever seen it in my life. I ended up having a button buck and two 1.5 year olds in range, but all of the adult does got spooky and wouldn't get within range or step into the open to give me a shot.

After I left they were back in there all night long. Jerks!

I have a group of 5 bucks all together on my other farm right now, including 2 shooters. I got pics last night on their way to corn and then again this morning on their way to bed. I may try to sneak in there and shoot one of them this afternoon. It's a hail mary, but what the hell. Can't kill 'em from my desk!

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I got a little too cute and bumped them all last night. I was confident they were bedded in one of three locations. I gambled and bet they were in one of the spots further North, knowing if they were in the South woods I was screwed. I got about 50 yards from where I wanted to setup and bumped them all. :mad:

Ended up setting up on the other side of the farm to try and shoot a doe, and didn't see a darn thing. Just sat and got a 20 mph wind blown in my face for 2 hours. It was great.

Heading down to the ATA show today. If I'm not dying from Covid next week I have a few more chances before the season ends.

Junior, Brian Walters and WakeCow like this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    So far it looks like I'm in the clear from Covid so it's full speed ahead for these last couple days of the season. I'll probably hunt tomorrow afternoon and Saturday afternoon for myself, and Sunday night with my son to ring out the year. I had a dandy non-typical show up on my lease a couple days ago so I'm reeeeealllly hoping he shows up in daylight this weekend.

I'll probably shoot just about anything that walks in front of me. I need to kill something! lol

Junior, tynimiller and WakeCow like this.
  16. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you had some luck and good fortune!

Decided to hit the ice for the first ti.e this season
    20220116_134554.jpeg 20220115_180628.jpeg

Oldcarp and Hammer1171 like this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Friday night hunt - saw 0 deer.

Saturday night hunt - saw 20 deer, including a 150" buck. The closest he got was 50 yards. Eventually, he moved out to about 75 yards and bedded down until it almost got dark. Then he stood up and moved off. The story of my season! So close, and yet so far.

Sunday night hunt - saw 0 deer.

This is the first year in I'm not even sure how long that I didn't kill a single whitetail deer with my bow, but I'm okay with it. I never got a clean shot at a buck I wanted to take, and with our deer populations down I don't mind not shooting a doe. Between my antelope, part of Todd's elk and my son's doe we have plenty of meat in the freezer. Time to start game planning for next year...

Junior and Hammer1171 like this.
  18. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Although it makes for a tough season, its always an admirable sportsperson that has the patience to wait for the right opportunity & right animal. Sorry you didnt get what you were hoping for Justin, but in tue words of my Canadian friends and my Pops, thats why its called hunting and not shopping. (Yea, doesnt ease the sting at all when i hear those words either!)

To my team, its been a wonderful season of highs and lows with yall. Safe future hunts to you all, be well, shoot straight and practice kills!

Oldcarp and Hammer1171 like this.