Team 29 - Booner Boys

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Blarney22, Aug 18, 2014.

1. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a beautiful morning to be out here in God's creation. See what I mean?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Snow makes for a great sit in stand.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I'm just waiting on date with a BIG buck.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only seen squirrels, chickadees and nuthatches so far... and these winds are really picking up. I put a Thermawrap around me this morning so I'm not freezing cold, but my fingers are close to being numb. They've been cramping up on me off and on. Dang I hope a deer shows up soon.

5. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How'd it go? I'll be out tomorrow but I'm taking my friend so he can kill his first buck on youth day. I'll have my bow if a big doe walks by though. I have a lacrosse tournament today so I won't be out today

6. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got out today not to hunt just yet but to go an put a stand at a familiar location. Its more of an urban spot than anything an it is where I killed my biggest buck to date "ACE" I got the tinks going there an its all setup for the score. I killed ole ACE in 2012 so it will be the 2 year anniversary if I hunt it on the 27th which is the day I put the tag on him. Anyway its a travel spot between to bedding areas with a creek, and there has also been beans planted on the other side of the tree line too so I know there is deer there. The same year I killed ACE I shot at a different buck just over the back made a bad shot so maybe he is still there so its definitely a good place to hunt as I have some history at this location since then. I killed a buck last year there around the 11th that I just wanted to get out of there maybe I should have let him walk but imo he wasnt gonna turn out really good I had lots of pics of it an this is how he was when I took him down.[​IMG][​IMG]big body but nothing for a rack. The one I shot over was what looked to be a main frame 10 point plus ive seen a non typical high rack lookin deer there too just driving by so who knows what can happen here but all my confidence an consideration is centered around one deer an thats ACE. I rattled him in an hit the bleat one time an thats all it took before the rage was in his heart.[​IMG] He was my first bow buck an im hoping to seal the deal in the next few weeks to come on another one.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Gettin in the stand this evening its a lil windy but im gonna take a chance on it. Good luck Booner Boys.

8. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    How'd everyones evening go

9. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    First time I ever had a deer mule kick!!!! Im excited fellas I put a good lick on nice doe this evening i got ok blood no arrow I already backed out an in about an hr im goin after her what a night out of the stand I just hung to day im just gonna start call in this spot ACE's Place because it is really special. I'll keep you all posted. Any thoughts wud be helpful I put the pin right behind the shoulder an was sure it was a pass through but after getting down no blood where she was hit but she mule kicked an the made a big u full blast into the cover I know exactly where she went.

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wont be in stand until most likely Thursday. Good luck on the track Jeffrey. Really hope to have some good luck.

11. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Backed out until the morning but I know where the blood stopped an im going right back there

12. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna be a long night

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us updated

14. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Took my friend out on youth day here and got him his first buck. A 10 point with double split brows! I'm hopefully gonna go out this evening with my bow and we'll see what happens

15. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Well its been a long morning still no sign of the doe had good blood all morning then it just stopped I found my arrow covered in lung blood an I know where the blood stopped but its really unclear where she ran after that I may try to track again later today after lunch

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  16. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Well what seemed like a perfect hunt turned for the worst. This will be my Second deer in the last 3 years that I was unable to recover which sucks big time. Be live when t must said that whitetails are tuff take my word for it I put a good what I thought was a good shot on this doe an she ran for 80 yds then I lost blood it was spotty all the way which led me to believe she never stopped running because she was hurt bad. The blood stopped at an open field which seemed which had woods on every side of it but one I searched them all no sign of her. So did she make it? I dont think so here is my arrow with over half of it covered in good blood. Did I just miss her ill probably never know I put in over 5 hrs tracking her with help no luck. Was hoping for another deer for the freezer plus another 50 for the squad but it was all to good to be true. Awesome encounter though none the less it was a good hunt minus the lost deer an on top of it all it started snowing what a day in the woods[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks. At least you put in the effort trying to recover. Keep at it!

18. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the worst! It happens to all of us but all you can do is just try your hardest to find that son of a gun

19. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted Friday Sat and this morning. Saw a really good 8 pointer but could not get him to come in

20. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer Jeffrey...
    Tough to have a great shot end with a lost deer (had one myself a couple years back). Sounds like you have a great spot though. Hopefully it will produce some meat for your family and memories for you, for many years to come.

It's rifle season here in New York (started Saturday). I sat out Sat and Sun to let the 'Orange Army' have their fun. Monday I have two appointments at the VA in Bath (eye and ear clinics). Looks like Wed, Thurs, Fri next week work for me to archery hunt.

Hang in there men :bow: