Team 28 - Sons of Archery

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Evilstuff, Aug 18, 2014.

1. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everyone!

2. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to a cold one tomorrow, okie. That should really get things heated up.

3. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! Ill be on the other side of the state for the last hunt on some property that my father in law is selling soon. It's too bad too... Although it is not ideal wildlife habitat itself (farm land with tree windrows) it is a travel route between 2 other pieces that are great habitat. I suspect I'll see 50+ deer tomorrow although most won't be in bow range. The south wind will make it difficult for my stand tree but I'm gonna give it a shot. Plenty of turkeys too...

4. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    heck of a weekend guys! it is really too bad my father in law is selling this property in a few weeks. this was the goodbye hunt weekend.

within one mile of the property, over the entire weekend, I suspect I layed eyes on 200-300 deer. this includes herds of 50+ on nearby wheat at night, etc... its scary the numbers of deer there. I saw 100+ from the stand. no mature bucks in range from the stand. no chasing yet, although I did have a young buck running around crazy in the field grunting his head off for 15 minutes. his bachelor group buddies just stood in the windrow watching frank be stupid.

I jumped possibly the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof from his bed 100 yards from my stand location Saturday afternoon. I'm really not exaggerating - he was 2 foot wide with 16"+ tines.

anyway, we needed to take stands down and head out after lunch yesterday, so I poked this doe at 11am. scant blood trail, although it was a double lung shot.

[​IMG]

5. Evilstuff

Evilstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, sorry about the property. My father in law and I are trying to avoid that in the coming years. Working on a plan to buy it from my wife's grandparents.

6. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have the resources to buy it myself just for hunting or I would.

7. Evilstuff

Evilstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea just stinks. We are the same way right now. Just looking ahead, as they are both in their late 70s, and we don't want to lose our piece of land.

8. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    It's a complicated story on the property. 1 of the 2 160ac pieces he's selling he owned with his brother who recently passed. He's selling it to pay off the sister in law. The other 160 is catty-corner and adjoins the fella who is buying them both. Consolation is he's gonna keep the remaining 320ac for a few more years. It's not as great as the other 2 but still has good hunting.

9. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I hope yuall are in the stand this morning! I have family obligations this weekend, but I'm there in spirit! Poke a big one!

10. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well sorry guys but it's looking like a big 0 for me this year. I saw a few of the class bucks I was looking for just didn't make it happen. Past one the first night misjudged him a little, I knew he was a 3 year old I thought just over 125, well after we got him on cam looked more like 135 Doh!! Had a tank of a buck come in chasing a doe stops just about under me not offering a shot I feel worth taking then proceeded to walk straight away after the doe he'd been dogging. Seen him or a bigger one the next day no shot opportunity. One the last day was going to take my set down and pack my things up for the about mile hike out at 5 pm well after a rather slow day I decide to pull the plug at 4:45 instead :bash: I got down took my stand down set it on the trial then put my bow ahead of it thinking when I take down my climbing sticks I don't want my bow close in case I drop one. Don't want one landing on my bow. Well as I'm packing up my backpack I hear something coming fast OH S#*t! big ol doe goes by as I'm in mid air jumping my stand grabbing my bow then a good 3 year old goes trotting by as I grab an arrow to I load up to late they where by the creek and crossed it. I grab my phone look at the time exactly 5:00. I would of had a 15 yards shot either from the ground or my stand. Double DOH I hope everyone else is having better luck then myself.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im still going hard boys, no worries.

12. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    on a plane headed to TN for the weekend to try to put some points on the board for the team

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

13. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be out all weekend trying to stay warm...

14. 180 p&y

180 p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not much to report here. i have been hunting hard and not seeing much at all. big bucks are being killed but i can't see any. yes i am whining a little, ahh he// i'm whining A LOT! just ask my family LoL! surely it will get better

15. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome rut day yesterday! Now if one will just come by that ill take! Suppose to start snowing at noon...

16. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do a little rifle hunting off the back porch before church and bow hunt in the afternoon.

17. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    I figured ark rifle season was going on... Lotsa bangs to the east - I'm 2 miles from the state line...

18. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Don't have one in the freezer yet. I thought I might see one before church. It's plenty cold enough to let lay until I get home.

19. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Cold? It's not cold! It's... It's brisk yeah that's it! I actually got cold yesterday but it was because I was sweating... I'm wearin less today to see if it helps

20. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I nearly froze yesterday morning. It was sleeting in Gentry.