team 28 - Antler Assassins

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by aaron21, Aug 19, 2013.

1. BRVRY

BRVRY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm jealous of all the states that are starting up in the next few days or already started. Iowa seems to take forever! Oct. 1st!!!

2. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On the other hand, the anticipation is half the fun.

3. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Team! I hunted 3 sits over the weekend. I was behind the camera for all 3 sits. Saturday AM had a nice doe come in , and my friend had the smallest twig deflect his arrow for a clean miss. He just keeps getting bad luck! I have killed several more deer then him on the same piece of property over the last 5 years. It is my family's property and I was the one who allowed him to hunt with me in the first place. We have become great hunting buddies over the years so I really try to give him as much of an opportunity to kill a deer as possible. He is due! I can only film for so long before I get the itch to bring the bow! Saturday PM we got skunked, and Sunday AM he passed on a small yearling doe ( she wasn't worth the work!) Opening day is next Tuesday. I will be hunting that weekend! Whats going on with the rest of you guys?

4. Kristopher Phillips

Kristopher Phillips Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Plan on going to Camp for our Early bow opener on Sept 27th....Hopefully I'll put one on the board for us then!

5. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not much going on here, been working like a dog so I can have my free time in Oct and Nov. I did get reports of a 180" + buck that has been seen on my land several times in the last month. I have some of my hunting buddies/relatives that live close to the land scout from afar once or twice a week. Hopefully I can sneak in and get a crack at him in late Oct, before he starts really traveling for does. Good luck all, keep in touch.

6. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i will be getting out on saturday, hopefully i can get my first archery deer and points for the team. it will be almost 90 here saturday, but what can you do. opening day is my favorite no matter what happens because all of the buildup for it is gone and that feeling of being out and the very high hopes of getting one early to quell the monster within that has been waitin to get unleashed.

7. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got out 3 times over the weekend. Had a spike come in before I could even get into my stand Sunday night, passed on him because I have another bucks I would like to see (Attached pictures, pics aren't great hope I can get some better ones next pull). Even though I didn't take any shots it was a great weekend for me. Last year I saw two deer from this stand and so far I have seen deer every time I went out this year so far. I also had a questions I was hoping you guys could answer. Here it is:
    So the stand I hunt is on the edge of the woods and there is corn next to the woods with a 7 ft wide trail in between the woods and the corn. I walk the edge of the corn to get to my stand and each time I went to my stand this weekend I spooked 1-2 deer. Every time I walked to my stand I was extremely quiet and had the wind in my favor. My question is: am I eventually going to spook these deer so many times that they don't come back or do you think they are unsure of me and just run away just to be safe?
    Your input would be great. Hope everyone is getting some time in the woods, we need some points! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait to hunt my new spots this year in Iowa. Won't be able to get out till next Friday though due to my class schedule. Hope to have a good year. Scouting was very promising with a couple nice bucks on the trail camera. We set up two mick scrapes last weekend with cameras on both of them. Going Friday to check one and lock down a stand. Trying out the Tinks Drippers. Hopefully they work good and bring in the Monsters!;)
    MDGC0029.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How is everyone doing? I still haven't been out hunting, I did hang two stands and set and brush in a blind in the pouring rain today. All for next weeks WI youth season, my kids are spoiled, no one did this for me when I was a kid.

10. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been warm here in MN and there is still WAY to much corn in the fields. They are starting to slowly pick the fields so thats a plus!! Other than that there are plenty critters by the stand which breaks up the monotony of not seeing much!!

Good Luck out there!!! 005.jpg 007.jpg 015.jpg

11. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well i got out for 3 sits this weekend and the only deer activity i had was on saturday morning at 5:15 am in the complete darkness while climbing the tree. the deer were walking by at about 15 yards or so by the sound of there hoofs if i were to guess. the weather is suppose to turn really good here by this weekend so hopefully it will workout better.

12. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you can try a different approach route just to be on the safe side so that they do not spook.

13. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally going to get out this coming weekend. Hopefully I can fill my doe tag early.

Plot is looking good. Come November things should heat up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    Won't be getting out till Saturday. I also won't be able to score doe points till I go home in Illinois. Only buck hunting here in Iowa while I am at school so I don't have to worry about hanging a doe and a buck and getting them processed.

15. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that would be kinda nice to only be able to killl bucks, but the two states you hunt have large bucks and large potential to kill them. good luck!

16. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to get out a few times this weekend. I have the choice of hunting on the property I normally bow hunt on or going up north and hunting the big woods public land. Wherever I go it is supposed to rain all weekend and I will be wearing the blaze orange because of the youth hunt this weekend.

17. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well i have been out a few times and have not seen anything. that is part of hunting public land i guess. the weather is supposed to cool down on sunday so i will get out after church for the afternoon and all day saturday. how are the rest of you doing?

18. BRVRY

BRVRY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only got a buck tag this season took make it easier on me and my budget sending 1 deer instead of 2 to the locker.

Going out saturday morning and sitting till 11-ish. Weather looking to be cool so hopefully the deer are moving the way me and my friend think they will be. Sitting in with my good friend and hopefully can see some good movement.

19. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i hope so. it will be raining off and on here saturday. going out sunday after church, it will be in the 60's with a nnw wind and the rain will be clearing out by the afternoon so it should be good.

20. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    Got out this morning for the first time this year and the first time hunting this property. Saw 6 does and a 4pt buck. Had movement all morning till 930 am. Went to another new piece of land for an afternoon hunt. Unfortunately didn't see anything but I think the wind may have messed with the deer. Checked a trail camera at this property and have two more nice bucks. Won't be out till next weekend at the earliest. Hope everyone is deer as well!