team 28 - Antler Assassins

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by aaron21, Aug 19, 2013.

1. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt may be the one we need to replace.

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Early Doe season is coming up for me, Sept 21,22nd. I am hoping to get 50 points on the board for the team! I am going to send a pm to Fitz and see if he can change our team thread to our team name.

WHAT IS OUR TEAM NAME!!!!????

chart33 very nice! I have tinkered with a little filming myself but this year plan on filming all my hunts. I also hunt with a good friend and we plan on taking turns filming/hunting. I am using a Canon Vixia HF M31 on a Oak Sturdy Semi Pro arm with a shotgun mic, and also a wireless mic setup as well. I also have a Gopro hero 3 on a muddy micro. I use this with a wireless remote for side angles and other neat footage.

Season is getting close team!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think we had decided on Venison Villains but there was some talk about maybe changing it because another team had a similar name. I have an avatar made for Antler Assassins if anyone likes that?

4. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to go with Antler Assassins if no one has any objections.

5. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Antler Assassins it is!! R4ce that is giant in your avatar! How about a little info on that buck?

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I had my killer hog lease made into my killer deer lease as well.
    I'm so pumped. This is prime real state for central Florida big bucks and the owner said I can hunt the deer as well.

Season opens Saturday and ill be there. Yeah!

7. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot him in my favorite rut funnel on November 4th, 2009. He was the 7th buck in bow range that day, it was an all day sit. An hour before he walked through I let a mid 140's eight walk, and I LOVE big eights. He came through at 3pm on the nuts, stopped him broadside at 28 yards and made a nice heart shot. He ran 40 yards along the ridge I was on, wobbled, tipped and rolled all the way to the bottom (closer to the truck). I knew my uncle and hunting mentor would be getting off work at that time so one call and he was there fast. I told him I had shot a "decent" one, let him take the lead. When he walked up on it he called me a few non repeatable names then gave me a flying tackle/hug. It truly was one of the my best hunting moments ever. The stats on the buck are 10 points with a split brow and a middle unicorn point between the main beams that was thick but rubbed down to about a quarter inch high. 22" spread 5.5" bases and holds great mass through the whole rack. Dressed at 223lbs and scored 164 3/8, shot on my little 80, where we don't bait or have food plots. Plus the hunting pressure in the area is very heavy.

Got my eye on a 150 10 this year that looks very mature, have seen a couple nice 130-140 deer that I would also have no trouble sending an arrow through. But the main buck I am after this year will not score well, he is ancient, I'm pretty sure he is either 8.5 or 9.5 this year. He has a short tined, heavy, wide 7 point rack and an absolute pig of a body.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Great buck and great story.

9. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I have PM'ed Fitz to change our team name to Antler Assassins and look into a replacement for Hoyt. I also said I would take over as team captain if we don't hear from him (Hoyt). Not trying to be pushy here, if anyone thinks this was out of line shoot me a pm or just say so here. I'm just trying to keep our team rolling, and get us set for our seasons. Well off to work, talk to you all later.

10. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No objection here.

11. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    R4ce, you are the man for the job! Thanks for sharing your story. I dream of killing a buck someday of that caliber. Not many that size here in Michigan, but down in IL, oh ya! After making a bad shot and not recovering a good buck that would have scored at least pope in young last season down in IL, I look to redeem myself! I did come home with a decent deer that you can see pictured. Just not exactly what I am looking for down there.

Attached Files:

12. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just want everyone to know that in my story about my buck I may have come across as anti-baiting/foodplots. I am not, I just mentioned it as part of the story. I don't bait as I don't like to put the scent in my hunting areas, as far as plots our land is all woods and extremely thick and rugged. I just haven't made any clearings to plant yet.

I pm'ed the last two team member that haven't checked in. If we don't hear from them by Monday, I think it's fair to go ahead with alternates.

13. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to request to switch teams...

I kid! I love planting food plots - another way to keep active in the off season and love knowing that I'm improving the habitat around where I hunt. There are no good food sources that far north and I don't have time to scout the thousands of acres of unbroken woods. It's a 5 hour drive for me.

14. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like planting them also, I have planted plots on leases I've had and friends land for years. Just haven't done it on our land yet. I also love all the off season stuff, I have done a lot of timber stand improvement, hinge cutting, clearing trails etc... A five hour drive would be tough, I only have an hour and a half one way. My camper is on our land which makes it easier to go for extended stays. But with a crazy work/family life it's hard to get there as often as I'd like. I do have some awesome public spots within five minutes of home that I will also hunt.

15. MartinBowShooter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking charge r4ce, I think it is fair that we find replacements for the missing members as soon as possible. We were only supposed to give them two weeks right? Maybe we should tell fitz that we are ready now?
    Hitting the woods Saturday afternoon after work, I am so pumped! Do you guys try to put down a deer right away at the beginning of the seasons or hold out a while?

16. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The NH opener is this weekend but it won't happen for me which sucks. I am going to scout some public spots closer to home in MA. My goal this year is to put down a doe as soon as possible in NH and then focus on a mature buck in November / early December. Hopefully the mountains get snow up north early. If that happens my food plot should produce a lot of activity.

In MA I will have to do a lot of learning as I go. Ill be hunting new areas - one where I picked up a nice shed last season from a 130" buck. My goal for MA is to only take a nice buck. I'll pass everything else.

This is year #4 for me and I've shot two smaller bucks - 7 point and 6 point. I'm ready to put a bigger buck down but if not I'm perfectly happy with a doe or two!

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bone_Driven and Matt/TN have been replaced by BRVRY and fishingdude93. I have sent them both a PM.

18. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good Fitz, thanks.

19. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just messing around during lunch and threw together a quick team logo if we want to use it. I'm not much for video games at this point in my life but I've seen the ads for Assassins Creed.

Team Logo.jpg

20. MartinBowShooter

Dislikes Received:
    I love it!