Team 27 "The Rejects"

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Matt/TN, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice double Matt!

3. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see I need to start pulling my weight around here.
    I’ve been seeing does and I have a 3 nice bucks on camera. I just need to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

frenchbritt123 likes this.
  4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Matt! Points are adding up!

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Solid looking clover/chicory plot Matt....also congrats on the double brother.

6. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not, that plot was planted last fall and didn’t sprout one bit, used a mix I purchased (never again) and I neglected it all spring and summer because I don’t hunt it a bunch. I first stepped foot on it in August and I was floored at how good it looked. I’m going to frost seed some more seed and then spray in the spring. It was a small kill plot. It’ll be getting revived in the spring.

Used whitetail institute Fusion, I usually mix my own from the Co-Op with better results. Clover has worked so well for us in limited food plot experience. I just never have the land to do it. The best mix I ever made for all season forage was oats, white ladino clover, crimson clover, red clover I think and then Forage Rape. That was dynamite.

Guys, we are in really good shape as a team considering we haven’t put a single buck down yet. Nows the time to go ahead and whack a doe with your bow if you haven’t already. Get out there everyone, the ruts coming.

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    How’s it going for everyone? We are running into the last few days where it’s a good idea to take a doe so I would try to get that done.

My first three day trip to Ohio is this weekend

8. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting the waterfowl opener on the 28th and then I start deer hunting the 29th. I have not hunted yet, but everything is ready and hunting properties are untouched. Cameras are starting to show daytime movement improving. Good luck everyone!

9. IAwhitetails

Dislikes Received:
    Got out today for a morning hunt and saw decent deer movement . Saw two baskets and a handful of does . Cams are showing improved daytime movement - girlfriend has a Halloween party planned for next weekend on the best cold front of the entire year lmao . Will hopefully make it out on Sunday but my rutcation starts the 2nd!

10. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More points for our team :) !!!!! I spent 1.5 hours in the stand today and then I killed a 9 point buck ( a main frame 8 point with a 1.5 inch sticker growing off the base of his G3 ) at 3:30pm this after noon in the rain with 18mph winds. Had a short lull in the rain and winds and he stepped into 25 yards wide open and stopped to give me a broadside shot. Ill get the pics up here shortly. Boy what nice a day :)

11. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few photos, Ill post the whole story tomorrow, for now I need to dry out, thaw out and sleep.

Attached Files:

Beetle Bailey and frenchbritt123 like this.
  12. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a buck Forge! You really should have your own blog or show, one of the best on the site!

Lady Forge likes this.
  13. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    iframe
    Well Thank you for the compliment, I am flattered and humbled. And your no sloutch when it comes to killing big deer !!!!!!

I dont want to live my life in bow hunting under someone elses microscope, I film just for my own enjoyment and sharing with friends and here and my own youtube etc.
    Just wanna have fun bow hunting and I do really enjoy helping & instructing & mentoring with a new IDNR
    Illinois Hunter Recruitment Program

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  14. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Lady Forge!! That shot too, wow right on the money!! First buck on the board, lets keep the train rolling.

15. IAwhitetails

Dislikes Received:
    I knew you'd get it done ! Just like every other year I've been on this site lol. Great looking buck - can't wait to read the write up.

16. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    On October 22, 2017 I decided to skip the morning bow hunt due to rain and wind and spend the afternoon pulling trailcam cards and moving one trail cam and then I got some lunch and I planned to be in the treestand by 2 in the afternoon.

I am bow hunting A University of Illinois owned park that is opened to the public to bow hunt only. They allow 30 bow hunters to be chossen in a lottery each year to hunt the park that is a couple thousand acres. Those of us that have been hunting the park before get automatic invites to return to hunt the park again every year. If we choose to give up hunting the park then our spot in the 30 hunters goes up for grabs in a lottery.

I decided that the rain wasnt to bad and the 18mph winds seemed like they were letting up some. So I headed to my spot with my climber very slowly and extremely quietly in hopes of not bumping any deer since I knew I was very close to some bedding areas. It was easy to be quiet with the wet ground and leaves after the day time rain. I had hunted about 100 yards from this spot for many years and always saw bucks coming from this area so with the quiet walking conditions I decided to try and push the envelope and sneak into real close to their bedding. I knew this would be risky to do on an afternoon hunt without bumping them out of their beds but I was confident I could pull it off with the wet ground and wind to cover any noise I made trying to sneak in there.

Once in the tree settled in my climber at 2:03pm the rain and wind increased but soon it tapered off to just a drizzle and the winds settled down. I knew once the rain and wind stopped the bucks would get up and move. Ive seen this many times before. So its why I really like to buck hunt after a daytime rain.

At 3:33pm this buck stepped in front of me broadside at 25 yards at a rub & a scrape and stopped on his own, I gapped my 20 & 30yard pins and I killed him. Sure was nice to drag him out in the daylight, I hate dragging them out in the dark where its real thick and ya catch your feet on every vine there is and your sure your gonna break your ankle before the job is done. I texted my husband and he drove out to help me get the buck out. It took the 2 of us to do it since we had to lift the deer cart carrying my buck over several big downed tree ( there is only one way in and out of this spot ) and its the long way, but it keeps me from trapsing thru a bunch of buck beds and ruining the area.

Now the park I bow hunt only allows us to kill one buck so now I can move to the state owned public hunting land that borders this park and bow hunt for a doe & buck there. And I really like the state owned public hunting land, I killed a doe and 2 real nice bucks there 2 years ago.
    Here is 2 bucks I got 2 yrs ago on the public land Im gonna hunt now. I am still required to kill a doe before I can kill a buck on the public land as well. deb idnr buck.jpg deb idnr buck 1.jpg

Our friend Al showed up where we gut the deer and even volunteered to gut my buck for me saying he needed the practice. What an awesome guy Al is [​IMG]:) He is the true example of hunters helping hunters !!!!

SparrowHawk and IAwhitetails like this.
  17. Jones405

Jones405 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats lady forge! I have been hitting the stand also. I have passed a 3 year old a few times that is a stud. I also had a really cool.encounter with a 2.5 yr old that has some real potential. This cold front should get the bucks moving!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lady Forge likes this.
  18. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna hit the public land this afternoon and try and get my doe :bhod:

SparrowHawk likes this.
  19. frosty452

frosty452 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck forge love the color on that rack. I am heading to southeast Ohio late Saturday morning and will be down there for a week

20. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice buck! Finally got some great temps coming to central Iowa Friday. Gonna have to skip physics and log time tomorrow morning! Been letting the stand rest for a while