***** Team 26 - "Draggin Rights" Official Thread *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by peakrut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    That's a cool experience. Good thing those eyes didn't get closer!

As an update for me guys...been behind the camera for fellow Staffer Tim Ainsworth. No luck and with gun this weekend he and I will be pulling out the boomsticks but not chasing deer rather chasing some honkers. If were lucky maybe we get a duck or two into the field but that typcially doesn't happen.

Once snow starts hitting the ground I will be after a doe but until then boys I am not going to be contributing much for points so keep after it team.

2. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Defiantly good thing you didn't spill some active scrape or buck urine on your clothes. That could have ended badly. Only arrows an smoke poles in the Stan for me this weekend. Forecast is for highs in the 20s during the day so hopefully will have plenty of movement.

3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back home from the hospital... looks like the wife had a heart attack this morning. Scheduled for a stress test tomorrow and we'll go from there. It may be a few days before I'm back in the stand... sorry guys.

4. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that bud...hope everything works out...best wishes to you guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that's a bummer. I hope she is going to be alright. Don't apologize for anything, she is way more important than killing any deer. Good luck with everything at the hospital, hope she gets to feeling better.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to give a little recap of the past few days of hunting for me. It was the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows. I got off work early Wednesday morning and decided to go hunt my climber that I left on the tree a few days ago. I was a little dejected when I busted some deer that were already at my tree when I got there. It was almost 8 am by that point. Anyways, I decided to sit for the rest of the day there. About 9:30 I look up and here comes my #1 buck, the 7 pointer. He was at 50 yards and closing quick. He went through my first lane at 35 yards before I could get a shot. Right before he gets to my 2nd land he stops and turns straight away! He continued on without giving me a shot, but I was hopeful me may cruise back by later. Fast forward about an hour and I toss out some tending grunts hoping that a buck may be close by. Sure enough, I hear brush breaking in the direction that the 7 pointer went earlier. I look to my right and he is marching straight to me. He gets to 5 yards and I draw back. At this point he locks up because he caught me move out of the corner of my eye. I go to look thru my peep sight and it was twisted, so I used my mouth to turn it enough to see thru it. Next, I made the mistake of rushing my shot. I thought he was fixing to bolt and I smacked him square in the top of his shoulder. I got no penetration whatsoever. I thought that maybe my eyes played tricks on me though and that I could've hit the far shoulder. Anyways, I backed out and waited for a couple hours. I came back and followed drop by drop for the next 1.5 hours for about 175 yards. The blood completely stopped at this point. So I went home to give him more time and to get my dog. We came back and searched til dark, but it was no good. We had to go home and wait til the morning. The next day I went back and it was the same thing. Absolutely nothing. I walked and walked but found no more blood, no place he bedded, and no arrow. I'm praying at this point that I just got the shoulder and nothing else. This has happened to me before, and it was the same exact sign so I really hope that this is it. It makes me sick to wound a deer, but I am at least optimistic that it won't be fatal. I'm gonna continue to run cameras and watch for him. I really hope I get a chance to see him again, and hope that he's gonna make it.

7. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    No hero shot for camp meat but got a doe tonight with the rifle.

Gltomp, take care of your wife and don't worry about us.

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GOOD NEWS!!! Judy Lynn did not suffer a heart attack (Thank you Lord!). Her stress test went well... however the echo-cardiogram showed severe 'turbulence' within her heart chambers (whatever the heck that means). Looks like they're gonna' treat her medically. We have to contact our PCP on Monday and go from there. More than likely visit a Cardiologist too he said in the hospital. She is currently back home - taking it easy and resting comfortably. Boy what a scare - b4 I called 911 she was in so much distress I thought she was a gonner' - snow-white and could not catch a breath.

If any of you out there can explain what causes turbulence in the heart - speak up... please. May be busy a few days next week with her - but there's still time for me to knock one down. Good Luck to all you guys!

9. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear all is well:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

10. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know anything about turbulence but glad to hear all is well.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Gltomp, great to hear!!

I've been MIA from this thread for a while, boys. My apologies. I'm focusing efforts on trail cameras now while we're in between seasons here in PA. Rifle season starts next week, but it's bucks only for the first week, so I won't be out. I may even hold off until the late archery season to go after a doe. Hunt hard fellas.

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in wondering how everybody is doing. I've been working quite a bit this week so far. I got to hunt yesterday morning, but didn't see anything that I was looking for. Saw 7 does and one small buck, two hens (one bearded), and a coyote that busted me before I could get a shot off. I forgot to post it last week, but I did get a bobcat with my bow for my first one ever. It was a nice female and I'm going to get her mounted. I also killed a doe Sunday with my bow to go ahead and fill my rifle tag. I'll post pics sometime soon. I'm still hunting hard and am still trying to kill a buck, I'm just not seeing anything mature enough that I want to wrap my tag around. Hopefully this weekend will bring me some luck with that. Good luck to everybody that will be hunting the next couple days.

13. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg image.jpg well guys here's my 2013 Illinois archery buck he's gonna score right around 140" will have an exact break down once he hits the taxidermist in a week or so. The hunt was just featured on a recent episode. Hopefully I can knock another big boy down in the upcoming weeks as well as a few does off the food plot.

14. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Hey team just got back from hunting the Wisconsin 9 day gun hunt. I will be back at with the bow next weekend.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so a few updates for me. To start with, some good news. The buck that I hit in the shoulder is still alive. I got some pics of him within the past week, so I feel much better. Now some other news, something that really got under my skin. A friend of my father in laws hunts the same property that I hunt. He hadn't been there to hunt all year prior to gun season. He knew that I had been there quite a bit, so of course he is just hammering me with questions. Well, he kept bothering me so I finally just told him where I had been hunting and where I had shot the buck with my bow. He texted me the other day to make sure that I was going to work because he was going hunting. I thought this a bit odd. Well, turns out he wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be there because he was heading to where I had been hunting. He went to the exact tree that I had been in and killed a really nice buck that I had pics of. I don't care so much that he killed the buck, but it really pisses me off that he pulled that kind of crap. He was too damn lazy to put in the work to find out what the deer were doing, so he mooches off of me and gets rewarded. I guess I just wanted to vent a little because I'm getting sick of people doing these sorts of things. Everything that I do, it's like I can't tell anybody anything. Everybody always tries to move in on something that I put the work in to do. Why are people so lazy and disrespectful?

16. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain man. My step dad the same thing to me this season.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

17. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Hey team Andy over at ultimatecamo has the new HD pattern up on the web page.
    (New) HD BDU Pants

peakrut code for a discount.

18. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so we are in the middle of an ice storm right now. Conventional wisdom says that I need to sleep in tomorrow and take care of things around the house. So instead I'm going hunting. I'm not giving up yet!

19. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out in full force starting this weekend back with the bow. I am determined to get some more meat.
    I got a nubber during gun season to which I wasn't happy about.

20. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was a beautiful day to hunt, but I just didn't see much. There was some midday movement, so my brother and I will be after coyotes in the morning then climb into our stands mid morning. Hopefully some deer will be on their feet trying to find some food in all this snow we got.