Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

***** Team 26 - "Draggin Rights" Official Thread *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by peakrut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm home from Ohio with my tag(3 years worth lol) but it was a good trip. The only shooter I saw was that big 8 that I posted pictures of in the forum. He was facing me at 50 yds before crossing a small knoll in fron of me and angling away from me. Would not respond to grunts at all. He checked a scrape and then the wind swirled( big problem in those bottoms) caught my scent and calmly walked out of my life forever. Last night I had a small 8 (last night anything goes) come by feeding on beech nuts, he acted like it was the beginning of October. Grunted at him and he would look up and go right bak to feeding. Snort wheeze same results. I watched him walk off at 60 yds

Such a big difference from this same time last year. Gotta get it done at home now, off till Monday!

2. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys so it's my first time in this comp so I want to do this right. Here's the info I have about my Buck "Skyrocket" and the pics. What am I missing before posting to the official scorecard thread?

"Skyrocket"
    Date: 11/4
    Time: 1640
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme, CX Maxima Red with Launchpad, Killzone, NAP Apache rest

MBR = 19 5/8~~MBL = 19 7/8
    INSIDE = 17 1/4
    G1R = 4 3/4~~~G1L = 3 7/8
    G2R = 10 1/4~~G2L = 11 1/4
    G3R = 4 7/8~~~G3L = 4 1/8
    RC1 = 5 3/8~~~LC1 = 5 1/4
    RC2 = 4 1/2~~~LC2 = 4 1/2
    RC3 = 4 1/8~~~LC3 = 4 1/8
    RC4 = 3~~~~~~LC4 = 3 1/8
    TOTAL = 129 3/4

Image6 (2).jpg Image3.jpg

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It all looks good to me. If you end up missing something on there Fitz will let you know.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's all you need. Go ahead and enter it. Congrats again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    My timing sucks this year on getting out. This past Sunday was so nice and I got out to my parents place at dark and deer in all the fields around their place. Monday I hunt and crappy weather as could be. Tuesday I had to leave and that huge 8 I got on film and posted earlier crosses the dirt road as I am leaving. I get a mile down the road a monster 9 walking the fence line. Last week i had sunday and tuesday pegged too as the days to be out but with work and family it just didn't work. I got until next wednesday to get it done then it is off to my gun season trip up in northern Wisconsin.
    Man this stuff goes so quick every year. Good luck all and keep positive.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck peak, I know how you're feeling. It's been nothing but swirling winds and bad luck for me this year. I'll be hitting the woods tomorrow morning as soon as I get off work at 6am. I can hunt tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday morning. Got to work Sat. night, but I'll hunt the rest of the day Sunday and then again on Monday morning. I'm trying as hard as I can, it's bound to happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later though.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it Peak. I was down to the last week of archery before our gun season, and it only took a few seconds to turn it all around. You've got this!

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I may be a little late getting my buck scored. I'm taking it to a local skull works shop today to get it cleaned by beetles and brightened up. Never had a chance to score it, so it will have to wait until it gets back.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much you think it's gonna score?

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe 105"

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If we can add a few more bucks in the next week or so we'll be right in this thing. I hope I get done Thursday or Friday, bc gun season opens here on Saturday. I'll be hunting gun season, but I'll just have the bow in hand instead of the rifle. There's just something about shooting a deer with a rifle that doesn't feel right to me.

12. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck boys. Keep after it. Still can find bucks who have bred a few and now cruising. Never know!

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All day sit today... nothing but squirrels. I think I saw every squirrel that lives in Steuben County!!!
    Lockdown??? I don't know - but with rifle season opening Saturday, neighborhood was 'alive' with rifle and muzzleloader reports.

Even though rifle season opens Saturday... I'll be hunting with bow in hand also Snake ('til season ends or I fill my tags - whichever comes first).

Staying positive...

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Gltomp, with that much pressure entering the woods on Saturday, if you are in a relatively cover rich area, you may benefit from them moving to you. Good luck!

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly hope so! I've arrowed deer in shotgun/rifle season before...
    I've found the 2nd week of gun season sometimes to be 'back to normal' regarding deer behavior, but I enjoy having other hunters in the woods and hunt escape routes.

16. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I did an all day sit today and overall it was very productive. I saw what I believe was my number 1 hitlist buck. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like him, it was just so thick and a very brief sighting I don't know for sure. He was checking out a small doe and she walked the other way. I also saw a few smaller bucks that came in to some rattling sequences. Gun season starts tomorrow and I'll be hunting a different place right next to my house. There is a 130"+ 8 pointer on the place so maybe I'll get unbelievably lucky tomorrow and get a shot. Good luck to anybody else hunting tomorrow.

17. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be back in the morning where I did the all day sit a couple days ago. I think I might have a good chance at seeing a big boy cruising in the morning. Feels like I'm finally making some progress on trying to kill the old 7 pointer. I'll keep you updated tomorrow.

18. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Made the decision tonight that I will be bringing the bow to the stand for opening weekend. Gun stand is close enough to the trail that I can get a shot off with my bow. My wife gave me the OK to fill every tag in my pocket! She wants the venison. God bless herd management!

19. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Well I leave tomorrow for my gun hunt trip with my brothers, UNC's, cousin, nephews and friends. I will be back at it with the bow in December. Everyone be safe and have a great thanksgiving.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

20. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck peak, hope you guys have a good hunt.

I went hunting this morning for a couple hours and had a very interesting time. Everything started out perfect. The wind was almost nonexistent, but perfect when it did blow. My access was awesome. The temperature was great. I get about 15 yards from my tree and turn on my headlamp to make sure that I find the right tree and immediately I see eyes glowing about 30 yards on the other side of my tree. I can tell it's a deer, but don't know for sure what it is. I then see a 2nd set of eyes and immediately knew it was a buck with a doe. They just looked at me and had no idea what I was. The wind was blowing to me and I could smell the buck easily, he stunk pretty bad. So I decide to slowly make my way to the tree while they keep staring at me. I get almost to the base of the tree and the buck starts grunting while he's still staring at me. Then, of all things, he starts to snort wheeze at me. He did it 3 times and kept grunting, the whole time staring at me. They walked over a little ways and I decide to go ahead and climb the tree as quietly as I can. I guess he never knew what I was and thought I was another buck. I get in the tree pretty quietly and hear them coming my way. I'm guessing they were within 30 yards but it was still dark and I heard them make their way towards a bedding area about 90-100 yards away. I saw a few small bucks and does throughout the morning, but nothing to make me grab my bow. One of the small bucks went the same way that the buck and doe did, and it wasn't long I hear some crashing around and he comes running back out with his tail tucked. I guess that buck was keeping guard over that doe and bedding down with her all morning. I had to leave so I never got a chance to see what it was. Still a very interesting morning for sure though.