Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

***** Team 26 - "Draggin Rights" Official Thread *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by peakrut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, everyone! I'm scouting a piece today after work, but no sits for me until tomorrow. Front has moved through and temps are a little higher (mid 50s) this week, but the winds are favorable, and they should start to be on their feet now.

2. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I passed on a small 10pt this morning and got a real nice one on video last night too

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping for some sightings of some bigger deer. Right now I am struggling to find a shooter in daylight. I usually don't have this problem, especially this time of year, and I don't like it one bit. I'll be hunting all day Saturday and Sunday. Then I'll be off work to hunt the 6th-10th. I really hope I can lay eyes on something bigger than a 3.5 year old.

4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the 152 stand from last year for the first time. This year? I got out here nice and early. [​IMG]

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    After what I had heard last night that sounded like boat oars clashing I brought some antlers with me this morning to clash around.

6. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I've been in the stand every weekend but haven't seen any shooters on hoof. Had a 3.5 pass at 25 around 3 pm Sat afternoon and good feet movement. Going this weekend I can put something together as I'm headed out to our other property where I know there are a couple of shorts hanging around. Just need them on their feet during daylight! Good luck everyone... were so close to prime time!

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I may be heading to IL next week to hunt a 700 acre farm with my brother, just depends on if he can get off of work or not. I will be the only person that bowhunts the place besides him. If we end up going, it could be a great 5 day hunt.

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Tony, hope you've got a big one called in already.

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Maryland should be in the stand this afternoon after the Amish wedding

10. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in the stand this weekend too. The neighbor says he has heard LOTS of crashing around in the woods behind his house (my property). Bringing the horns. Hopefully a good weekend.

11. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing! I had the perfect wind yesterday morning out of the northeast. It was more like a breeze but yet to the north of me back in the thick stuff I believe the deer was blowing at me. Will thermals out do a slight breeze? I was thinking this or unless it was another thing bothering that deer.

12. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I think I just found my answer dang it.

Thermals
    Thermals are controled by the heating or cooling of the air. Typicaly in hilly or mountainous terrain the warming of the air in the morning creates a "draft" that travels from the valley up towards the ridge or peak. In evenings the cooling air sends that draft down the hill towards the valley. Thermals are differant than the prevailing wind by the fact that they're due to temp changes and totally seperate from the prevailing wind however the prevailing wind and thermals and how they relate to eachother are an important part of stand location,more on that later.
    Wind Currents
    Wind currents or prevailing wind are not as consistant as thermals and much must be noted that a Northeast wind doesn't neccesarily mean that the wind will be blowing that way in all types of terrain. My grandfather taught me to think of the wind going across an area like water. Every hill,rock outcroping,stream bed, etc. will change the direction of that wind. Example: if you have a flat that leads to a creek then on the otherside of the creek is a hill most hunters will setup on the hill side thinking their scent will blow over deer positioned on the flat. If the wind is blowing from the hill towards the flat the wind will "eddy" like water bringing your scent down to the creek and across the flat. I've watched many hunters set up on these hills thinking the deer won't wind them only to be puzzled by the lack of deer sightings. Many times that wind will be drawn down to the flat and change direction by 180 degrees. Setting up on the flat itself is a much better option.
    How they affect eachother
    Thermals and wind currents can effect eachother to a point where the wind is blowing in a completely diferant direction from where you parked your vehical. Example; You want to hunt a ridgeline in the morning expecting Bucks to leave the fields below to travel up to their bedding area. The ridge is running from north to south and the prevailing wind is coming out of the North. The north wind will hit these thermals and changed direction traveling towards the ridge at an angle and yes the deer will use this to their advantage so if you want to score you better use it to your advantage. Solution: Position yourself on the opposite side of the ridge from where the deer will be traveling up. Bucks will eventually use this side of the ridge to bed for the wind and thermals traveling up from the valley will "eddy" over top of the hill alowing the deer to smell anything on their blind side and use their eyes for looking down the opposing ridge. This tactic has payed off time and time again in PA for me and hope it gives some of you a little edge.
    This topic has so many variables to it that you basicly can learn something everytime your out and taking note and applying it can be the differance between failure and success when targeting big bucks. I'm no expert and am the first to admit I've failed my way to success many times by learning from those failures and not making the same mistake.Learning to hunt the wind and thermals to me is undoubtably the most important factor in considering stand location [​IMG]

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Turkeys turkeys turkeys everywhere I look is nothing but a turkey. I really want to see one of those big Maryland bucks. Not a bad day though bandit been in teestand since early morning.

14. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Taking a vacation day this Monday to make it a three day weekend. Hoping the weather cooperates and the big boys as well!

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure wish I knew how to post photos via taptalk. I'm in the best sit so far this week. Secluded food plot, big oaks & beaches, rubs, scrapes... sign everywhere. Got to leave the woods early today though. Driving up to Aberdeen (2hrs) to take my G'son to dinner. Definitely will be back here before light for an all day sit. Leaving MD Saturday afternoon to go back home.

16. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    If the picture is on your phone before you hit submit to reply to a post tap the 3 dots just to the right of submit. You will see an option to attach picture. Tap that option then pick where you have the picture save.

17. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Be sure to tap + on the left not use quick reply as your first step.

18. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get off at 4:30 and head to pick up groceries and my IL tag after work. I'll be washing camo and hunting all weekend. Next Wednesday I will be sitting in a stand in IL. I hope the big boys are still showing up in daylight where the camera is. I really hope to put a buck on the board for us by next weekend. I have a really good feeling about the place that I will be hunting at.

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting in my blind in a hedgerow between an alfalfa field and standing/cut corn field. It just 'smells' right here this sit. Hopefully I can get it done for the Team & my freezer tonight. Little windy & the barometer is dropping.

Sent by my Android dude.

20. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Take a picture with your phone from the stand and try to post it here as a test.