Team 26 - Blood Stained Vanes

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Jimmany, Aug 18, 2014.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have been in Deer over the week end, just no shots yet!! Plenty of Doe's and small Bucks. Vacation soon guys then its an all out assult!

2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to be back and see deer on the ground, heck of buck. Well, Nanny, and Granny are both buried. Wife and I went back to work today so things are getting back to normal. I can not hunt this weekend due to youth only weekend, but I am going to hit the woods every after noon this week. All the scrapes I saw last month have all dried up except one. I have peed in it and checked it and it seems he is coming at night. Hopefully I can catch him before shooting light goes away this week. Weather has been steadily cooling down as well.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dislocated my shoulder so I'll be out till next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How did that happen?

5. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Wrestling. Turns out it's a dislocation of my acromioclavicular joint. Which most likely will end up needing surgery so I may be out for the season

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah that sucks Max. Just don't do something dumb like try and shoot a bow when you shouldn't be.
    My buddy dislocated his shoulder and had to have surgery over the summer and just killed 2 does last week.

7. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im sorry to hear that max. I will pray it will be a short recovery.

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    ER doctor blew it out of proportion. She said on a scale of 1-6, 6 being definitely need surgery she told me it was a 5. Orthopedist told me no way I need surgery and I'll be shooting in 2 weeks. So I'll be fine.

9. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's great to hear max, be back in the saddle for the peak of the rut!!

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear Max, heal up soon and take your time.
    Got out this evening finally, buck is hitting the scrape and licking branch, pretty sure he's coming at night. I peed in it again and hung some tinks when I sat for the couple hours.
    Saw 4 doe, the fifth is in my freezer, same nanny doe and her followers. Good news is they crossed right where I walked in and where the wind was carrying and they never seemed to alert on me, thinking this smoking my gear is working well.Was walking out and checking out a fallen tree and something came walking around. It was dark but sounded like a deer, sat on tree for about 30 min till I had to move around. It had been dark already so walked like a deer and made my way out. I love the woods, I'll be out the in the morning, good cool morning.

11. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Good work McArthur!
    I'm planning on getting out there this weekend both Saturday and Sunday morning. My vacation is coming up quickly. Pretty excited about that!

12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning, as I crested the hill (dark) , no more than 20 feet I spooked a deer, only got a good look at its butt and tail,from what I could see in the dark. Saw a 6 point buck across the field messing around with a branch. He came out, handled his business and went back into woods, came back out about 45 min later and did the same thing.

The cool part of this story is that last year at the end of the year I had a small half racked 3 point come within 10 yards of me. I drew back to shoot him,debated it for about 3 min. but decided to let him walk. Judging by what I could see through my binos, that is the same deer I saw this morning. Antlers looked the same as last year, except he had both sides and a little better grown.Hes a small fella, probably let him go if I come across him this year. Just really cool to see my decision last year is showing this year, who knows, in about 2 years he could be the king of the woods.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  13. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I went out both mornings this weekend.
    This has been a very strange season. Typically I see deer every sit in the early season. So far, I've yet to see a deer in the woods from my stand.
    Hopefully this means this year will be opposite... don't see any deer in October, and see deer every sit in November! I'd be ok with that.

Tuesday the temp is supposed to start dropping off rapidly. Hopefully that gets them up and running more. Saturday was just too warm.

14. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping things pick up as well. It has been in the 80's here the last few days, temps are to drop very well just in time for the weekend. Pretty excited about it. Still trying to figure out how to get the wind in my favor on this small acreage.

Any updates on that shoulder Max?

15. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    The magic healing powers I was blessed with for my rattlesnake bite came back and I have all movement in my shoulder already. Shot 60 arrows last night without any pain. And this saturday I'll be hard pressed to find a better day. Going out for the opener of pheasant season in the morning then bowhunting in the afternoon. And with a high of 42 and low of 30 the weather looks great!

16. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday night is going to be in the 30s. Im hoping to be able to get out and put one down.

17. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out much within last week but should get out Thurs evening and morn/eve on Saturday. Still pretty slow in my neck of the woods as our rut doesn't kick in until late November.

Gun season starts Saturday but we can bowhunt all the way through.

18. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hearing more and more about bucks chasing does. This weekend the temp is supposed to plummet. Can't wait to get out there the in the mornings! I'll probably stay on my property.
    After next week I'm on vacation for a week, to basically almost only deer hunt.

19. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My vacation starts today. Will be hunting the next 4 days then 2 days of work and 5 more days of hunting. I'll spend most of it behind a camera videoing my buddy hunt but might break away to try to take a doe. Good luck guys, its the best time of the year, get out all you can!

20. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I'm off of school next Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. And so nice I live in my property I'll be out every day