TEAM 25 - The Thwack Pack - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SFarcher, Aug 26, 2012.

1. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one SD. I'm hunting the fiel edge behind my house again this evening. I think I've got them figured out. A herd of does enters the NW corner of the field every evening this week, but by the time they make it to my stand it's too dark. I moved in closer hoping to catch them earlier. Who knows maybe with a buck in tow.

2. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Vacation is winding down and I still haven't closed the deal. I've been averaging 10+ sitings a hunt this week. I saw 15 yesterday evening, no shot. Almost got run over twice by does last night. Wind is out of the NW so I switched location a little. Hopefully I'll have better luck this evening.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, hunted hard all weekend and just couldn't make it happen!

I had ample opportunities to kill does, 1 1/2 year olds and a pair of 2 year olds this morning but the big guys are eluding me. They just don't seem to be up on the move quite yet. Maybe another few days and things will be rocking. Back to work tomorrow then off Friday-Monday. Hoping I can close the deal b/c after that things start getting tough!

Good luck to you guys hunting this week. Another few days and all hell is going to break loose.

4. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also did'nt get it done this weekend. The stand I wanted to hunt had the wrong wind so I hiked to another and the wind was'nt the best there either. Not ten minutes into my sit had a young buck come by and give me a 30 yard shot. But I passed. Saw 2 more bucks and 8 does, but not 1 of the 5 on my list showed up. Not to worried I have some well deserved vacation time staring on friday and I plan on hunting 10 days straight! Good luck guys.

5. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great morning! Hung a new stand Saturday and it seems to be a good one. I had two bucks chase a doe right under my stand a few minutes before shooting light. Had grunting on both sides of me. They headed off so I hit the bleat can. One of the Bucks, A real tall 8 I have on camera, came back. Stopped at about 60 yards looking for the source. Proceeded to have a stare down with him for the next 30 minutes. Ended up not coming in,but that's why I hunt. What an adrenaline rush! Thinking if I'd had a decoy out, he'd be dead.

6. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Last week I saw close to 100yd deer. Most were out of range. Well, I had to go back to work to this week without putting a deer on the ground. This past weekend I saw several young bucks chasing. The rut should be in full swing soon. MG season starts Saturday so I'm sure I'll get a doe for the freezer. Our archery season lasts until February 28th, so there's still plenty of time for me to tag something with my bow.

7. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Finally, a shooter! I knew with all the does I've been seeing one would show up sooner or later.

[​IMG]

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, great looking buck. Aside from his rack he's just a really pretty looking deer. Hope you get him!

9. BH Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Good luck!

10. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This weather has been terrible in the northeast second nor'easter in a week...

11. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Finally had a shot and was able to connect with a doe about half hour ago. She's piled up about 60 yards away.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

12. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]Alright here's the story on my hunt this morning. I was set up on a pinch point at the property behind my house. About 15 minutes after daylight I hear two does coming in to my left. Instead of angling to my left, they came straight at my tree. They worked their way in to directly below me and they became a little skittish. I think they could smell that something was not quite right. However, they never ran off. (Thank you Evercalm?) Anyways, the one doe stepped out to about 10 yards and was quartered away from me at a shootable angle. I aimed for the opposite shoulder and squeezed off. She took off at a dead sprint and piled up about 60 yards away. The blood trail was incredible! Anyways, feels good to have put one on the ground. Heading to Central Ohio this weekend to hunt some public land down there. Have my own secret honeyhole that I've had some nice encounters at in past years and where my Dad tagged a 140" a couple years ago.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one! We need about 2 dozen more does on the ground to catch up to these other guys.

Hopefully things pan out this weekend. Weather isn't looking too good, but it's November and you never know what can happen.

14. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Congratulations. Is that blood I see on those trees?

MG starts saturday, so things could get tough around here. I'm joining the orange army at least until I get some meat in the freezer.

15. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it looked like a scene from a horror movie. Never had a blood trail like that. Shot came out in her armpit so she started spewing blood pretty much immediately. Slick Tricks did work, although I'm sure any broad head would have done the same. (Except for Rages :D)

16. BH Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I tagged a pretty good 4x4 yesterday. I was sitting next to a doe bedding area when this guy came in. He had been pushed by another hunter and I had only seconds to make the shot. I thought he was my #1 target buck that I saw chasing a doe in here the day before. He was 20 yards when I shot, easy track job! Now I got the rest of Nov. to hunt hard for my Black Hills rifle tag that took 3 years to draw. Do I need to post what he scores? 2012 Archery Buck.jpg

17. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    That's a stud! Congratulations!

18. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys my archery season is officially over until after Christmas and I probably won't hunt that season....Wednesday was a huge rush I saw 14 bucks and 4 does..Granted there were only 4 shooters in that bunch but it sure was exciting to be in the woods that day. Some of the smaller ones could have been repeats,but still they were moving around big time.

I had this guy (see attached pic) at 35 yards but he just wouldn't turn to give me a shot. He would walk away about 15 yards then come back he did this 3 times,but would not stop when he turned...I was praying and swearing at the same time..

I had another shooter following a doe at just before last light and all I needed was for the doe to walk past my stand,but she turned into the thicket as the bucks approached..There was 2 bucks on her but only was was a shooter..They too walked away without a shot presenting itself..

Then as I was walking out I had this buck at 40 yards watching me approach. I knocked an arrow,but he trotted off.. Probably wouldn't have taken a shot anyway as all i could see was his silhouette...I think it was this buck (see third pic)

Hunted Thursday evening didn't see a deer... Friday had a buck walking away from me as I walked in I won't know how big until I check camera as I think he walked right by one of them....saw 5 does at last light...not allowed to shoot does on this property. Guy just won't listen to anyone about proper management...

Yesterday I saw small 8 point at 15 yards(see second pic) could have shot him easily,but too young...Farmer came and started picking corn so had to move to another stand and only saw a doe and 2 fawns from that stand...warm weather shut them down a bit I think...So that's it for me....Sorry I couldn't add to the score sheet.

Attached Files:

• 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      91.2 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  19. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing for me this weekend. It's been super warm and it's turned to rain today. Looks absolutely perfect for tomorrow morning. Too bad I have an interview at 8:30. :( I'll be out Wednesday -Saturday morning though!

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys, this season is shaping to be a tough one for this guy! As of this morning I've logged about 82 hours in the stand and seen exactly two shooters. WTH is going on?? Spent the past three days at my lease and saw lots of chasing going on, but all small bucks. Passed a good 2 1/2 on Saturday morning and then a 3 1/2 last night that probably wouldn't score much more than 100 inches. He's all beams, no tines. It's the third time I've passed that deer already this year. The weather was warm and windy on Saturday, warm, windy and pouring rain on Sunday, and freezing cold and windy yesterday. Not exactly ideal for hunting.

Gun season opens here in IL this weekend, which means I'll be sticking close to home in my suburban hangout. No gun season here! Depending on how things go at the office I'll definitely be out Friday afternoon, possibly Thursday afternoon as well and then all weekend. The past two years I've killed bucks on this farm between the 15th and 20th, so there's still hope!