TEAM 25 - The Thwack Pack - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SFarcher, Aug 26, 2012.

1. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back on stand this morning. Have a good feeling I'm going to lay one down. Today's the day!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there! The Thwack Pack needs to get to Thwackin!

3. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't see a thing. This season is starting off really slow for me. Oh well, back at it again in the morning.

4. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a big fawn and a doe Sunday evening. Could have shot the fawn several different times. May try again Saturday morning, but I'm sure I have to work again this weekend. I have vacation scheduled Oct 28-Nov 2, which is usually a GOOD week to be in the woods. Bucks should really be chasing then!

5. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Finally had the right wind to hunt one of my favorite stands this morning. Went over there and the bottom two rungs of the climbing stick are gone. This season is off to a horrible start...

6. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Working again Saturday evening, but I will get a chance to hunt Sunday afternoon. Rain should be ending by then and gusty SE winds switching to WNW <10 mph. The next 5 days in Arkansas, they are having a MG doe hunt and I'm not happy about it. Bucks are allowed with archery, so that's what I'll be using. I'm sure there will be several shot with a rifle and checked in on an archery tag. I saw 20 deer my last set in the stand I'll be hunting. It's in the city limits so I should have it all to myself.

7. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Back out this morning in a stand that has had deer moving past it for the past three mornings according to the trail camera. Last time a deer didn't move through was the last time I was hunting it. Temps around 30 this morning.

8. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    In the stand. It's windy but I'm going to ride it out til dark. Haven't had been able to hunt as much as I would like. A bad day in a treestand is better than a good day at work.

9. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I located a heavy 5x5, probably mid 140's, last weekend. He was the fourth deer out of nine to come out of a wooded draw into a small clearing where I was sitting. I video taped him from 80 yards as a young doe came close and winded me. They all ran up the ridge and disappeared. I scouted the area for a good treestand spot and found one. Had a stand set up by noon and headed for home. That was last sunday. Had friday off so I was in before sun rise and within an hour here he came with 4 does. 60 yards but they moved down a different draw. I sat 3 more hours but did'nt see them again. So I backed out and I was back this morning. Well instead of seeing some deer some guy on atv comes along stops and yells out for his missing dog. He drove all over the place for about 20 minutes before I did'nt hear him any longer. Just my luck! Will try this spot again next weekend.

10. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I saw 4 bucks this evening that were 125", if you added them all together. One had his left antler busted off at the base. I've seen several busted small bucks. I'm holding out for the one that's kicking their butts. Two of them started sparring not 15yds from my stand and another made a scrape at 10yds. Pretty cool.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, it was a pretty bad weekend here in IL. Friday night I snuck out from work early, and only saw two does both about 100 yards away. Saturday AM I got rained out, and Saturday PM I went out and didn't see a single deer. Yesterday was really crappy out - warm, 20-30 mph winds, and raining, so I elected to sit it out.

Thinking about taking off work most of Thursday and Friday to hunt some special draw public land I got in on, then heading to my lease on Saturday/Sunday. HOPEFULLY something hits the ground soon!

12. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    I got shut out both sits Saturday. Nine sits this season and I've seen a total of one deer while on stand. Winds here in Ohio are supposed to be dying down overnight. I'm hoping that gets the deer up an moving for the morning as I'll be heading back out.

13. Bobcat031

Bobcat031 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well this last weekend was bust. Rained most of the weekend. Only got to hunt friday night and saturday morning. Seen one buck, he was a nice 6pointer. One deer all weekend. I'm planning on heading out again Thursday evening. I'm taking Friday off from work to make it a long weekend. Right now I would be happy to put a does in the freezer.

14. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and things were looking up. Had one deer move through about 15 minutes before shooting light. Then about 30 minutes later saw some chasing. Unfortunately, it was two coyotes chasing a small doe. :sad: Didn't see anything after that. Back at it in the morning if I can get enough studying for this exam tomorrow afternoon in.

15. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was in the stand tonight saw 3 does on the way out which was good but I only have 2 buck tags. Always tomorrow weather still a little warm deer aren't moving much!!!

16. Bobcat031

Bobcat031 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess my weekend isnt looking great. Was gonna head out afterwork today and start my weekend. Well its raining now and they are predicting 80% chance of rain through friday night. And 40% on sat. Morning. So Im gonna cancel my vacation day for fiday hope I can use it next friday. This season starting real slow here. Hope it gets better. To date seen 1the 6 pointer and a couple does

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  17. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzle loading season started today in Arkansas. Never had much luck with a ML, too much trouble to clean and not always reliable. I have work anyway. Got my yard mowed before work. Taking my dad and mom out to eat lunch tomorrow for dad's 80th b-day. Planning to sit in big persimmon tree tomorrow, evening with my bow. Dad saw a nice buck chasing a doe near my stand earlier in the week. If I can make it through work next week, I'll be on vacation starting the 28th. Should be a great week to be in the woods.

18. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted my #1 stand today and saw 3 young bucks and 4 does but not the heavy 5. Scout down the draw and found a newly hung stand only 80 yards away. The added scent and pressure will probably ruin the location so I will have to concentrate on my other locations. Here's a pic of a buck that I almost got a shot at earlier this season. I moved my trailcam to another spot where I think he's bedding. Will have to do more scouting tomorrow after I hunt a stand I haven't tried yet this season. SUNP0013.jpg

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Spent the last three 1/2 days hunting, and was finally able to put a doe down on Saturday morning. 15 yard shot and she was quartering to a bit, but spun around to look behind her and gave me the shot I needed. Put a Killzone clean through her shoulder blade, she ran 70 yards up the hill and piled up in sight. 50 points on the board, gents.

Now it's time to focus on a buck! I've seen 1/2 dozen bucks so far this year, but nothing older than 2. According to my trail cameras, the big guys just aren't up on their feet during daylight yet. Another 10 days or so and things should really kick into gear. It's time to go on buck patrol. :rock:

[​IMG]

20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    way to go JZ!