TEAM 25 - The Thwack Pack - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SFarcher, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn! bad news for you Bobcat. Hopefully it doesnt ruin your season. There is an outbreak of EHD here in SD as well. But its mostly in some southern counties. The season opens on saturday for me and I plan on being in a ground blind along a creekbottom. I will be watchjng for anything dead while I'm there. Come on first hard frost!

2. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm almost 3 hours into a 12hr shift. I'll be getting off at 4am, then try to get an hour nap before heading to the treestand. I'll get a couple hours standtime in before going to bed. I have to work Sat evening/night. I probably won't hunt Sun morning, but plan to hunt in the afternoon.

3. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck I'm jealous!!!

4. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im about to head out now!

5. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent opening day along the creekbottom! I hiked a mile in and found the cow trail that lead me to the bedding area where I bumped a nice buck over a week ago. The night was black and the stars were shining bright. Had my pop-up blind set up in no time. Dawn came quickly, but no deer to be seen. Just about the time I begain to second guess myself, I caught some movement and some does and a spike crossed in front and disappeared around the bend. They were on the move and did'nt even look my way. Forty minutes went by and some more movement from the same direction. This time I caught a flash of antlers. Its him! The buck I spooked. He was with a group of does. Before he entered my shooting lane I was able to look him over real good with my nikons. I let him walk and shot some video with my handicam. They bedded about 75 yards away. Not 15 minutes later some stupid cows come crashing in and the deer ran off to the west. Back home I found a video clip of the buck, he should be a good one next season! Going to sit in a treestand tomarrow morning, hopfully no cows!

6. palmettoyounggun

Dislikes Received:
    Well i shot a doe this mornin and she bled good but after about 30 yards of runnin she got in the creek and ran down the creek and we searched for 4 hours and never found her. I hate this feeling. Because i know it was a good shot with a clean pass through and we found lots of blood until we got to the creek.

7. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. Did you ever find her? Anyone who says they have never lost a deer is either a liar, very lucky or just hasn't hunted long enough. I know the feeling. It makes you sick to your stomach. I plan to head out midmorning for a few hours and maybe the couple hours of the evening. A mans got to sleep sometime.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out today and hung one last stand before the season kicks off. New spot looks great! Season kicks off here Saturday, but I won't be able to make it out till next Monday. It's almost here guys! (For those of you not already hunting.)

9. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    I still have 3 weeks its killing me!!!

10. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I've been really busy with work and haven't had as much time to hunt as would like. If working 12hrs a day, 6 days a week is not bad enough, my hours are 4pm-4am. Saturday morning I did get a few hours in the stand and saw 4 does just before legal shooting light. Sunday evening I saw a fawn. It doesn't look like things at work are going to slow down anytime soon. So I don't know how much I'll be able to hunt. Can't wait until my vacation comes around the last week in October!

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I still have close to two weeks until I'll be in a stand, so I'm not getting too excited yet. Just shooting my bow a few times a week to make sure I'm dialed in. Probably go through and wash all my clothing this weekend and make some final preparations.

Finally tracked down one of the bucks I was looking for this summer. He's only a 3 year old and may go in the 130's so I'm on the fence on whether or not I'll shoot him. He was around this farm all last year and now again this year, so I have to assume if he makes it another year he'll be back. I suppose I'll make up my mind if he walks by me. I do get an itchy trigger finger from time to time. :D

[​IMG]

12. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Justin, I'm willing to help a brother out. To help you avoid getting that itchy trigger finger, I'm willing to come over there and shoot him for you. Sound fair? :lol:

13. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I just got another 30 acres to hunt and can't wait to check it out. It's in the city limits and my 20 joins it. I see deer along the woodline on it almost every evening about an hour before dark. In the past, i could do nothing but call and hope they jumped the fence before shooting light had past. Now I can get a little closer. Very excited!

14. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    10 hours or so till legal shooting light. Can't freaking wait! Unfortunately, the wind isn't right for any of my good stands. Oh well, can't shoot them if you're not out there.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

15. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Try to get some sleep. I know I can't he night before opening day!!!

16. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and got skunked! Like I said, I wasn't in a great morning stand though. It was just great to be out there. My dad was hunting in our one good morning stand for today's wind and he saw 4 does. I'll be back out tonight and hope to put one on the ground! I did do a card pull and had a nice buck on camera. If he comes past my stand, I'll be shooting!

Attached Files:

17. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it this evening. Hoping to put a deer on the ground.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

18. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck brother! I'm stuck here at work until 4am. Not hunting in the morning, a man's has to get some sleep sometime. I am hanging a new stand midday tomorrow and hunting it in the evening. The wind will be out of the NE and should be perfect for my setup.

19. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    Well, today wasn't my day. Got shut out on both hunts. Back at it on Monday. If weather.com is right, a new set we just hung should be in play and I am pumped about it! As a side note, I'm hunting the suburbs pretty much. Someone down the street from me was having a party type thing so I got to hear everything from the Dougie, to Nicki Minaj, to Cotton-Eyed Joe and as I was packing up they played Gangam Style. Not exactly your peaceful evening hunt. :( The joys of hunting small tracts of land!

20. palmettoyounggun

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 2a yesterday mornin, just never got presented with a shot. Hopefully be in the hot spot tomorrow afternoon if the wind is right!