TEAM 25 - The Thwack Pack - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SFarcher, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    11-14-12 Powerline Ridge.jpg Hey guys, just had to post my rifle buck I got at 50 yards. I used my grunt call and he came straight for me. I had to stop him before he got to close! Now I have my archery doe tag to fill and my season will sadly be over. Good luck everyone!

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on the buck! It's too bad you didn't get him with your bow, but a dead deer is a dead deer. Congrats!

I spent another weekend chasing whitetails here at home with no luck. Friday night I didn't see anything at all. Saturday morning I passed up a pair of really nice 2 1/2 year old bucks. One of them bedded down about 20 yards from me for nearly an hour, which was really cool. Probably about a 115 to 118 inch 8 pointer. He'll be super nice in a couple of years.

Saturday afternoon was slow - just a few does. Sunday morning also slow, just a couple more does. Was going to shoot one of them b/c one of the workers on the farm I hunt asked for some meat, but I was hoping they'd drag a buck past me. No luck of course. This weekend I may have to whack one if given the chance.

Still two months of bow season left so I'll continue to give it hell until I either get one or they close the season on me.

3. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congradulations on you rifle buck! I don't think I'll save this beast for archery season if he gets anywhere near me with a rifle.

[​IMG]

4. BH Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I would archery hunt the area where I got him more often, except its an hour and a half away. So when I draw a hills rifle tag thats where I go. A huge fire swept thru the area about 15 years ago and left small pockets of timber that did'nt burn. These pockets are a long hike from any roads and get overlooked by most hunters.

5. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck by bowhunter!!! I just got back from rifle hunting in Maine which sucked because I only saw 2 deer 1 at night on the road and an awesome 8 pointer across the street from the cabin while leaving to go home. It was a total slap in the face. Before I left the bucks were chasing does every where in Massachusetts. And now work is insanely busy wont get into the woods till thanksgiving.

6. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I had an old doe that has busted me three times this year and countless times over the past several years. You know the one that will hang up just out of range and stomp her foot, blow and hightail it out of there. I fixed her good Sunday evening with my rifle.

[​IMG]

7. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    #1 buck on my target list took a dirt nap. One of the land owner's sons shot him yesterday evening. I'm happy for him, but not as happy as my wife. He saved me a $375 taxidermist bill!

[​IMG]

8. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dam that's a nice buck

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Doh! Heck of a nice deer right there. What'd he end up scoring?

Still hanging tough here in IL! Just popped the 100 hour mark of time spent on stand this fall. Needless to say, my wife's patience is running a little thin at this time. I may stick to evening hunts from here on out. I ordered myself a couple time lapse trail cameras that I'm going to set up over the winter wheat fields the deer are using. Going to see if I can't figure out when and where the bucks may be using them so I can put my tag on one during the late season. It's a starting point anyways. Can't give up now, there's still a month and a half left to hunt!

10. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I just talked to the guy that killed him. He didn't get him scored but he'll ask his taxidermist to measure it and I'll let you know.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well three weeks into December and I've barely been able to hunt! Lost a full weekend to being sick w/bronchitis and then last weekend was just too warm to get the deer on the food. This weekend I'll finally be able to get out a little more. With a little snow on the ground and some cold I'm hoping they hit my winter wheat field and I can at least whack another doe.

Anyone else still sticking it out late season?

12. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out for an afternoon hunt before heading to the in-laws to celebrate Christmas. Perfect wind for my groundblind and we have 100 percent chance of heavy snow tomorrow. Deer should be feeding this evening.

13. palmettoyounggun

palmettoyounggun Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys sorry I haven't been on in so long. Our Internet has been down but is supposed to be fixed tomorrow. I'm at my grandparents on the Internet now I haven't had any luck bowhunting this year. I killed a doe with my rifle but that's it

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Got two hunts in over the weekend, but no dice. The does are really starting to group up as I saw the same group of 10 both Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Trouble is, they were out way early. Saturday I kicked them off the field at 1:45 on my way into the stand and then Sunday I saw them at 12:30 when I was checking cameras. Not sure why they were on their feet during th middle of the day.

Good news is that my big boy is still alive and around. The 2012 pic was taken on 12/14 at 9 am, 30 yards from my stand. Doh! I'll be exclusively hunting this deer until the end of the season. It's going to be a long shot as I'm not 100% sure where he's spending most of his time right now, but I'm going for broke.

[​IMG]

15. BH Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Justin, Thats a stud!