Team 25 - Straight Shooters

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Turro, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sat a few nights ago in the stand I had my miss in early season. Notta. Did grab my cards on my way that day from two other spots and checked again just now. Shoulda sat the Raxx plot. Hour and a half after checking had the little and big 8's both in front of that cam/spot. And again last night. I'll be there tonight. Cam checks and stand choices have been an interesting mix of sack punch and motivator this season. Can't say it's been boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doe down this morning!

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and awesome to hear.

My last time out I was optimistic and heard one blow in the distance as I came in. Two days later I got some txts from the neighbor. He had some jackass with an ax walking around on his property (I'm thinking cutting Christmas trees but who knows), and followed his tracks to mine and around it. Both weren't too far from where I was trying to hunt. With those two wandering around right near me I'm not shocked I didn't see anything. Not happy at all. Nothing like having posted private property that others decide to use as public.

4. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job GWH. Been awhile since I posted anything been pretty busy with work and things needed around the homestead. Been trying to watch the forum best I can when I get time. Good luck to the rest of the team and have a safe and Happy Holidays.

5. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
  6. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I checked trail cams this morning and it looks like some bucks here in jersey are already dropping antlers!!

image.jpg image.jpg

7. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Might not make it out any more this season. Been spending a lot of time cutting logs to clear a blowdown and had a little slip up Friday. I was dragging a couple foot piece and slipped and it dropped on my knee/leg. Sure enough was my bad one I had broke years back and had surgery on this spring. I'm pretty functional on it around the house and stuff, just thinking without a miracle it won't be good for a sit any time in the next week of season. It does look rather interesting I guess
    [​IMG]

Checked cards today. Had the regular small and nice 8's coming through some, but everything is completely nocturnal now. Had wolf pics and tracks around and a doe with some patches of fur torn off. Hoping she'll be good to go, didn't look like she was opened up.
    As always good luck to you guys that are still getting out.

8. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
  9. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    What a bummer sorry to hear about your accident!! Seems like you haven't been able to catch a break this year! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This year has definitely had some ups and downs. Hunting didn't have the outcome so far I hoped for, but I'm still calling it a good year. Everything outside of hunting has been plenty hectic too but I'll say the good wins out. If nothing else this year got a lot set, learned, and planned for next year.
    Still got til next wed night so I'm gonna take it easy and recover and hope for one last sit. Iffy but shooting for optimism. Looks like a cold spell coming next week so maybe things will all fall in place for a last minute kill.
    Friday we find out if we'll have another boy or if we'll have a girl. Looking forward to that keeps the mind occupied

11. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new addition to your family!

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Lung. I Woulda been happy whichever way that appointment went, found out we're gonna have another little man in a few months. My family has had an overwhelming average of boys for about 60 years or so so I Woulda bet on it. I decided to get the leg looked at. Have an MRI tomorrow for it. Got some antibiotics. She had some concerns for damage done. Color faded some and feeling little better now but still big bulge. To add to it got hit with cold/flu. I'm throwing in the towel for hunting for the season. Cams are out and that'll be it. Hopefully some sheds in a few months.
    Good luck to you guys that are still getting out. Can't say I didn't try this year but just wasn't meant to be.

13. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a decent buck tonight. Feel like the shot was back a little so I think I will let him lay up over night to be safe.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

15. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the track tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing him.
    Seasons done here. I did get my MRI results and not gonna need anything done. I'll call that a win for me. Not happy I couldn't get one last sit in but wasn't meant to be I guess. I'll probably try and hold out to check cams as long as I can since now I just want them to hang out and hopefully drop some antlers near. That and I'm guessing I'll have some pics where and when I was gonna sit to rub in not getting out

16. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have been looking since first light and it is starting to look pretty doubtful that I will find this guy but I will keep looking going to start doing grid searches and have some people to help. Tracked ok blood for several hundred yards than it just stopped. Part of the problem is when I shot I clipped a limb that deflected my arrow just enough to knock it back and it hit the deer somewhere around the last rib and it did not get a clean pass through. When he ran off I could see about 8 inches of arrow sticking out. We have not found the arrow so I assume it was still in him and probably helped plug up the entrance hole. I will keep you guys updated if anything changes!

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    The doe I shot was far back. She ran 80 yards and laid up there. Not a drop of blood til within 10 yards of where she was laying. Arrow still in her.

18. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well after all day yesterday and half the day today I have come up empty. Pretty bummed after waiting three months for the opportunity and it turns out like this! I guess that why it's called hunting. We grid searched the entire piece of woods and even brought the dog in and she trailed a long ways til it went cold. Hopefully he will survive and show back up on cam in a couple weeks! Guess I will just keep after it and see what happens!!

19. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that. I was hoping to check in and see a good ending. How much longer til season ends for you? Hopefully he'll be back and better yet if you get another shot

20. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    I have until January 31st.