Team 25 - Straight Shooters

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Turro, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a tough weekend. It was up and down, good deer movement and then bad. It was pretty unpredictable but I put in some serious time in the woods. I hunted 21 hours Friday-Sunday and only slept 11 hours combined (not by choice). Saturday morning I had some great action and we saw a few 8 pointers and a 7 pointer chasing a few different groups of does. I had an 8 pointer walk 10 yards behind my stand and I just couldn't turn around to get a shot without risking being busted and ruining that spot. I'm sure some of you saw my other thread getting opinions on his age and score but I wanted to share here in case you missed it. I have a 10 pointer showing up on camera at night but he just won't show up during the day. He's a new buck that we have no prior interaction with...anyway, I will be back hunting hard this coming weekend doing another Friday-Sunday power hunt weekend. Good luck out there team!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! I don't know crap about aging but going to guess 3.5.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow he is a Stud!! Hope you are able to catch up to him!!

4. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have the next three afternoons to put a buck down with my bow and then my season goes out !! I will be leaving work early the next three days. Hopefully I can get it done! This has been one of the slowest Novembers I can remember in quite a while. I have only seen 4 small bucks this whole month. I have had a ton of bucks on cam at night but not much day time movement at all!

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am taking vacation tomorrow and Friday and hunting both and through the weekend. I am determined to put something on the ground. I plan on lowering my standards because I already got skunked last year and I need the meat and can't possibly imagine getting skunked 2 years in a row, that hasn't happened to me in almost a decade.

6. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck you guys. I'm out for a few more gun sits then hoping late season it gets warm enough to sit some bow by my Raxx plot. X Rays show I separated my shoulder, but guess the plan is dealing with pain and go with it. I can get the bow back so I'll get out for a few if I don't freeze. Got the 8 I missed my chance at chasing does an hour before I checked my cam yesterday. Hope he's around still. My standards with the bow will be legal deer so hope it pays off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving to you guys. Have a safe and happy holiday and of course if you're hunting good luck.
    Checked cams today. Got a few coming through my Last Heartbeat plot. Some during shooting light. Must be back interested in food again. Hoping to get out soon and see what happens. Planning for next season and improvements on this season. Learned a lot for sure.

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Britney and I will be out hunting the next 3 days.

Last weekend we had a very good 5x5 that Britney likes... go by at about 90 yards. Tried calling him in but he was too interested in the does that were wandering around him. The next morning we didn't see anything. On the walk out we were almost back to the road when I doe jumped up out of a cattail slough and then he jumped up and took off after her. They bedded down less then a 100 yards from our vehicle, right by the road. A guy doesn't have to wonder why the road hunters have such good luck around here when they do that !!

Tim

9. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We've had a lot of does in bow range but have only seen one buck and he wasn't big enough to shoot.

Tim

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a doe with my gun, will be back out with a bow after the first week of December.

Been pheasant hunting too, dogs doing well.

11. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well things have been quiet this week no hunting season in but I will be in the woods tomorrow for muzzleloader season! I tried to see if I can carry my bow but have not found a clear answer! Next week I can carry it for six day firearm season. I have been checking cams this week and have a couple nice ones coming in at dark so I am hoping one shows up during daylight!!

image.jpg image.jpg

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't gotten out lately but will be shooting the first doe I get a chance at the next time I make it out.

13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went out for a short last light sit. Nothing. Last cam check had a few smaller ones coming through random light times. One nice one at night. Hoping to get out again this week if it's not so frigid.
    Good luck to you guys with bows and with rifles and muzzleloaders.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of doe movement on our property but no buck sightings in a few weeks. I am out of vacation days for hunting so it's up to weekend luck for me. I will be hunting through our bow season which doesn't end until February so I'll be out there any chance I get. I plan on setting up a little ground blind to change things up. Good luck team.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear, Mark ... I was wondering what was up with your season...

16. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got back out with bow in hand. Have six day firearm season this week and you are allowed to carry your bow. Saw two big does last night and hoping to catch up with a buck this week!! Good luck to any of you guys who are still at it!!

17. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you Lung Buster, and others. I'll be out more again now too. Catching up on a few things and weather is tolerable for some sits. Had a few pics the other day during last light again so at least there's hope. Can't say totally optimistic but chance.

18. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Sat this morning. On doe patrol now and of course everything was just out of range.

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I stayed out of the woods while the orange army was out there. I have no idea what deer are left in the area but I'll be hunting through January to get something if my body doesn't fall apart from all the sits in the cold. It's almost to the point that I want to forget last year and this year even happened, too many close but no cigar moments.

20. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted the last couple nights through a Nor'easter and did see some does!!! Hopefully a buck shows up tonight!