Team 25 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Hoosier Daddy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had my chance and blew it. Last week I found a premier spot on my property that had alot of fresh rubs and scrapes on a very defined trail that leads to a winter wheat field that the deer have been hammering. I hung my stand in the corner overlooking the trail and hunted it twice with good deer sightings just no bucks. Well, Saturday evening I got in early for an evening hunt. At around 445 I had a doe and two yearlings pass by and head into the field. The wind was perfect and I just had that feeling that I was going to see a good buck. About 15 minutes later I caught a glimpse of movement up the trail and I could immediately see horns. He made his way down the trail and was heading for one of my shooting lanes. It was going to happen fast. As he stepped into the lane I was already at full draw. I grunted at him and he stopped perfectly broadside. I settled the pin and squeezed the trigger on my release. As the lumenok lit up and sailed toward him I noticed that it was going to be low. The shot was perfect left to right, just going low. As it reached him I heard it hit but not the usuall pop or low sounding thud that it makes when you hit them correctly. I thought I had just clipped his chest right behind his front leg or possibly nicked the backside of his front leg. Anyway, he spun and ran back up the trail and out of sight. I got down immediately to go check my arrow as I was going to lose light in a few minutes. I picked up my arrow and it had blood on it. Just a very small amount and a small amount of meat on it as well but only on one side of the arrow. It did have a very small amount of blood on all 3 fletchings. But it was not even enough that it was wet. It was like it was smeared on, not dripping or anything like that. I walked about 15 yards to where I saw him cross the trail and head back up into the woods and there was a couple of drops of blood on a leaf. I hung my hat on a limb to mark the spot and I was gathering my gear and I hear a deer snorting in the direction he ran. This wasn't 5 minutes from when I shot. I'm assuming it was him. Next morning I go back with a friend and pick up the blood. We follow it up the hill for 60 yards a drop at a time (size of your fingernail) then we find a softball sized spot where the deer stood for a while. I'm assuming this was where he was standing when he snorted or blew at me. It sounded like the same spot the sound came from. We continued to follow the blood (harder to find) for another 70 yards or so. It was getting less and less. I found a clotted piece the size of a nickle and a few yards further we lost it completely. I looked for 6 hours with no luck. I covered every direction, fence crossings, ponds that were close to the area, walked through every briar patch and thicket with no luck. Went back yesterday evening after work with no luck and it started raining heavily. I guess I'll have to give it a few days and start looking for vultures or listening for coyotes (we have a bunch on the property). I wish I would have missed completely. I hate this feeling of not knowing what happened to the deer. He was a really nice 8 probably 125-130 inches. I'm gonna keep scouring the area over the next couple of weeks hoping to find him. I keep telling myself in the back of my mind that he may make it and it wasn't a fatal wound but I just don't know what to think really. The shot was low but perfectly on line. I just don't know where it hit him. It's really frustrating to put in all the hours and then blow it when you get that opportunity. I guess all you can do is stay with it. Thanks for listening to me vent.

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one Deathfromabove!!!!!!!! That is a dandy, heck of a spread on him. Oklabowyer sorry to hear about your luck!! Keep your head up as that happens to the best of us. As far as me this season has been a complete bust. My property just isn't as good as it use to be. I believe this is because of surrounding pressure. I have put in about 30 sits this season and havent seen one shooter buck on stand, even on 3 trail cameras I have I haven't got squat. It is a good doe spot but doesn't provide the cover for mature deer. My hunting buddy and I are going to look hard for a lease in a more rural area for next season. I have until Jan 1st to get one with the bow team but today was opening day for firearm and the pressured deer I have been hunting just got a whole lot more nocturnal.

3. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun season ends here tomorrow and I'll be out to put another one down on monday. C'mon guys, lets post up some more points!

4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BTW DFA, Nice buck!