Team 25 - Cold Front Killers

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by buckeye, Aug 13, 2018.

1. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm up a tree. Walked in to a new spot on public with a friend. Should have brought lock on and sticks instead of climber. Maybe 10' up a skinny post oak with a max range of 20 yards. Only snag was another fellow public land hunter decided to park right across the road from us, and decided to follow my friend into the woods. Not the way I roll, but its public so oh well.

Bright side is, poured here yesterday and into the night, now its stopped so they will hopefully be on their feet. Good luck this morning!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was hanging out with a buddy yesterday and he asked me if I wanted to hunt behind his house with him in the evening, so I said sure and we were sitting not too far from each other when I saw a buck chasing does..... couldn’t believe it... chasing 4 does into a field. So losing daylight fast he decided to climb down and sneak up 20 yards and try to get a shot at a deer. We saw the does at about 35 yards out when they spooked and ran away, then that’s when a huge body appeared out of the woods into the field. Walked right in front of my buddy Matt at 20 yards just looking at him, he had no way to draw back without getting noticed and then the buck spooked and ran out to 40ish yards where he took a shot and it went right under the deer... meanwhile I recorded it on my phone and have an awesome video but it won’t let me upload the vid. So here’s a screenshot from the scenario lol. A big mature 8 point doing some rutting activity in early October had me mind blown [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a pretty exciting hunt. Big bodied deer for sure

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checked cameras.. only a matter of time before these guys start coming out in the daylight [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks Andrew!

Hunted some new to me public last night and had 11 does come by the stand without a shot presenting. Not a horn in the bunch, but still a dang good evening.

Made a lot of racket getting down and out with my xop air raid and climbing sticks though. You guys have any tips for hanging a lock on and sticks, and how to pack them out with all those straps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18andrew likes this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I used a stand I used bungee cords, the black rubber ones. I wouldn't stack the the sticks, I would lay them across the stand with standoffs pointed towards stand. Then use 1 or 2 bungee cords to lash to stand. The best way I found for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

okcaveman likes this.
  8. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was 33 degrees this morning, saw 8 deer between me and a buddy. He had a bigger basket rack 8 pt make a rub and hit my mock scrape right under him at 7 yards and keep walking, I had 4 doe at 45 yards but to many variables in the way to take that kind of shot.. bummer but oh well! Had a buddy shoot a nice little 2.5 year old 8 point last night for his first buck ever so that was a cool experience to help him recover it. The smaller bucks are starting to move around in daylight for me

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone watch the latest episode of Bhod? Sound like at the end, Justin said that Clinton shot a doe?

10. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Started watching it today but haven’t finished yet

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys this could be good or bad. Had a good hunt last week and wanted to get some cams out. I went scouting today at lunch and found where my big 10 is bedding. Right by where i walk in! This was only my 2nd time back there this year as I stay out. Well I busted him but found his core area. Not sure if I’m screwed or not but I’m going to give it a week at least and get back in there.

13. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Probably if you just busted him out of there once he will return. Just my 2 cents.

14. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Finally got a buck on my trail camera. Things should be getting good the next couple of weeks. The property I hunt doesn’t hold too many bucks. Have to wait for them to start searching for does. Now just have to find time to get out in the woods.

15. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting public land lately, and it has been a tough go so far. Saw a mature buck leaving on Monday night, but haven't seen a deer on stand yet. Thinking the pressure by the standing corn fields has them either staying in the corn, or moving late. Hung a couple cameras so we will see. Gonna go back onto some of my private stuff this weekend though as I have started seeing the rub and scrape activity picking up. Almost that time of year boys!

16. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Waterfowl season starts here in Ohio this weekend, one of my hunting spots contains flooded timber and I have many wood ducks and mallards landing in it so Saturday morning I’ll be out doing that, hopefully gunshots don’t spook the deer in the area too much lol

17. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thought this was a cool pic. This is a huge scrape behind our old barn on my 100 acre farm. These bucks are coming from their beds on my neighbor's property and going straight to our brassicas plots. I'll be up a tree Saturday morning with a cold front coming in. Good luck guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pic! Looks like you could shoot from the barn. Might make a good ambush spot

19. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome pic! I agree with Holt on setting up in the barn lol

20. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh, the funny thing about this spot is I found this on my way to the stand. Isn't really a great spot to hold up in. I really need to get a game camera over it like yesterday. I'm going to tickle the horns tomorrow morning. 10 degree drop, high pressure, little windy, but being a weekend warrior I have to get up in the stand when I can.

jvanhees likes this.