Team 24 - Size is Overrated

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by MnHunterr, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To say I'm excited is an understatement. Can't wait to get to know everyone better. I will cross your name off as you check in!

Thehardwoods913
    NealMcCullough
    Entropyfx
    Soccerdan90
    Bobcat031

Rut Junkie
    ATbuckhunter
    MnHunterr
    smctitan
    Cayden

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    TheHardWoods913 and entropyfx like this.
  2. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in! I'm pretty stoked!

I'm an ER doc up in Iowa, pretty excited about a monster I never got a shot on last year, but saw several times and have already seen once this spring. I shoot a Hoyt Defiant, and besides deer I hunt just about everything in Iowa and sometimes beyond.

Happy to be here and ready to put some antlers on the ground!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheHardWoods913 and ATbuckhunter like this.
  3. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in guys. Im a recent college graduate in NYC just studying for my MCAT's. I havent put out cams yet, but im planning on doing that sometime this week or next week. My main focus will be a nice buck that I know made it through last deer season. I should be good for a doe at least though.

entropyfx and TheHardWoods913 like this.
  4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up guys? I'm Daniel and I live in south east Iowa. Looking forward to my elk hunt next month and then ill be focusing on deer. I shot a 150" last year amd will be looking to top that!

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What up fellas?!?! Nick here checking in!!!! Season can't get here fast enough, luckily I may head up north for a bear hunt in September and early season honkers depending on how it looks. Mostly resident birds around here in the early season and it heats up as they start to migrate, but we shall see!

ATbuckhunter likes this.
  6. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check-in in boys, tool and die maker from Michigan, first year doing the comp, really looking forward to it!

TheHardWoods913 and MnHunterr like this.
  7. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where in NY are you?

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  8. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to write an introduction.

My name is Jake and I'm from central Minnesota. I'm an account manager and just got a new job a year ago. One of the perks to my new job is that I get to work from home 50% of the time... Before I go this I was commuting 70 miles/1 1/2 hours each way to work. Working from home 50% of the time = a ton more hunting time for me this year! Central MN has been very strict with our deer numbers the past few years where we could only shoot 1 deer through all of the seasons (bow, rifle, muzzleloader). They changed that this year allowing us to take a doe and a buck so I should be good for at least a doe.

I've had my cams out for about a month now and so far have not been the most impressed. I do have a few nice ones that I will gladly shoot if given the opportunity (I've never killed a buck with my bow as I'm being selective on what I shoot/kill). I'll get pictures and post them up tonight/tomorrow.

9. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Just sent you a PM! LOL I live in NYC bro, I work in corporate finance so I'm kinda stuck here, but I was born and raised here. How about you? I have a house on the east end of long island though in Southampton so that my retreat away form the concrete jungle and where I do lots of hunting, 3 month bow season and a January late slug gun season. Hunt upstate as well, just outside of Syracuse and Cortland and go up North to Lancaster NH as well. I try to travel everywhere I can when I have the time!

10. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome Jake, wish I could work from home more than I do now! Started a few mock scrapes this past weekend and was suppose to put out a few cams but got there and forgot the SD card holder at the house with the cards inside, hopefully will head back out to put them up either next weekend or the weekend after just to see whats been going on and what the inventory is looking like that they are still on there summer patterns. Getting super pumped can't wait! Best time of the year for me is fall/winter, nothing like chasing around deer, ducks, and geese!!!!

This is my 4th year in the contest and every year it is a blast and great to get to know new people or people that we just haven't yet gotten a chance to know. I have always at least put up points for a doe and have scored a buck 2 of the 4 years I have participated. God willing we can all have a successful season this year!

entropyfx likes this.
  11. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm super excited about this competition, fortunately but unfortunately where my property is is in the center of the cwd zone in Michigan, this means I get disease control permits, I'm allowed to take up to 10 does paid for by the state, I usually only try and take a couple off the property per year though. Haven't seen a whole lot of bucks on the property this year yet but usually have pics of at least a 120+ each year and last year passed on more small bucks than I ever have so hopefull for this year!!

12. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    It's all for fun brother, so hunt the way you have always hunted! In my experience the key to sucess in this contest is shoot does and
    Damn I hope that's not the case and not too many of your bucks have been affected

Cayden likes this.
  13. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They have found 60 cases in all of the deer tested last year, which is not even a half of a percent of our deer population....so far we have seen no effect, the big boys are just hanging out on a neighboring property for the summer I'm assuming....Hopefully!!!

14. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys... just checking in. I'm looking forward to the season again this year. I'll be hunting in MN and WI --- should be a ton of fun. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

15. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Here are the bigger bucks I’ve got on our 60 acres.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MCATs, eh? Good luck, you got a long road ahead. Hunt while you can! :)

TheHardWoods913 and ATbuckhunter like this.
  17. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I think we need to nominate a captain. Anyone interested?

18. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    I nominate Jake, he got the thread going and took charge! True signs of a fearless leader! That's only if you actually want to do it.

Once everyone checks in also we'll need to choose a team name, so wouldn't hurt to start brainstorming now as well.

entropyfx likes this.
  19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would but between my elk hunt and dealing with the aftermath of the tornado that ripped through my place of work im pretty swamped.

20. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem being captain. I was captain of my team 2 years ago and all went smoothly.