Team 23 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by bwebb2, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting tomorrow morning and all day Monday.... Another great cold front - hopefully will get on the board soon!

Neal

2. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Lady! Looks like a good one, always great to watch them drop.

3. Kabar5714

Kabar5714 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice buck lady. i didnt see anything yesterday maybe it was all the noise my climber made sliding down the tree.it was a aweful and not gonna lie s#@& my pants day from the start i just couldnt get the top or bottome to bite in good enough one or the other kept slipping on me so i only stayed a till 9am but by that time i was shaking and sweating so i climbed down and left.

4. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Took my son out with his bow yesterday afternoon, we ended up seeing the biggest buck I've seen in a couple years. He never got close enough for a shot but the buck would have gone north of 150 easy, my son was shaking in his boots. It was a great encounter to say the least too bad dad isn't smart enough to turn on the video camera he had in his right hand instead of looking through his nocs in his left hand... #filmingfail

5. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like when Travis and Deb get their bucks on the board that puts us at least within striking distance of the lead. I know a lot of you guys are still hunting hard so we'll see a couple more bruisers hit the ground before it is all said and done.

We are definitely still in this, keep at it!

6. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went hunting tonight and saw a monster ten point. Probably in the high 120‘s. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't have much rut luck. Saw some bucks but they were either young ones or out of range. The gun season opens this weekend. I will have a couple more shots in December but my bowhunting hunts are dwindling fast.

8. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had another close encounter tonight. It was warm and windy, so I didn't expect to see much. Right around sunset a nice 8 point came in at a trot and walked within 30 yards of me. Unfortunately he was in a spot where I didn't have a shot through the brush. Hopefully I'll be able to put some points on the board for the team soon. I've been seeing a lot of bucks but just can't quite seem to close the deal.

9. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the time now to post up my buck photos, I dont have him scored yet since I donated the deer to friends and they took him to the meat processor, so as soon as i get the rack and cape back I will get him scored and posted here.

I had setup with my climber at one of my favorite spots called the Channel Tree in a river bottom, It is a open flooding channel that borders a enormous giant ragweed patch bordered by river bottom woods on the other side of the channel.
    ( the giant ragweed grow as high as 15 feet tall ) the deer like to travel the edges of these patches. And the deer have some trails that literlly look like tunnels through the giant ragweed that they like to use to enter and exit these patches that they like to use for bedding cover.

Once in my tree in the dark I could hear giant ragweed stalks snapping( the stalks grow as thick as some shotgun barrells )bucks chasing a doe and grunting and I sat in the dark praying they would come my way in the daylight.

As daylight came so did the hot doe and 2 bucks. They came running out of the giant ragweed with the larger of the 2 bucks fending off the smaller buck from the hot doe. As the hot doe halted on the opposite side of the channel from me the larger buck held the ground between the doe and the smaller buck whom was now on my side of the channel roughly 6 yards from me. I deemed him to be what I wanted to shoot and drew on him and saw a small branch and figured my arrow would easily clear the branch... WRONG ... I nailed the branch dead center and my arrow deflected and buried in the ground right at his feet. FACE PALM ... AGAIN :(
    So he barely spooks at all since he was so focused on the doe and other buck, so I quickly grab and nock another arrow, he is now roughly 20 yards I draw settle my pin on him , wait for him to clear a small tree let out a bleat to stop him and once he stopped I shot, My arrow blew right through him, he mule kicks, takes a couple of leaps then just starts to walk and flick his tail. He then stops and get the old wobble legs and then just fell over dead. He made it 15yards from where I shot him to where he fell dead and is laying dead 27 yards in front of me. SWEEEEET :)
    So then I turn my attention to the larger dark bodied and a more chocolate racked buck whom is still close with the hot doe they didnt run off at he shot but the buck did start blowing and stomping his front leg trying to figure out why the other buck just fell over dead and what made the odd sound and just what WTH is going on, So once he settled down I hear a noise at my dead buck and see a goofy little spike is standing over my dead buck sniffing him, When he notices the big buck and the hot doe and turns his attention to them and starts to approach them, the bigger buck snort wheezes at him and makes a scrape and urinates down his back legs and then starts to approach the spike to put ground between him and the hot doe. Now the big buck was in a more relaxed state and just standing his ground I pulled out the range finder and ranged him at 41.5 yards and I have set my shooting limit for bowhunting at 40 yards but knew I could make that shot, so as soon as I put the rangefinder down and applied the release to my bowstring and began to put tension on pulling the bowstring back he turned and walked straight away, I was just standing there with my jaw hanging open... WTH he had the worst timing for me but great timing for him, just as soon as I get ready to shoot him he turns and walks away so another FACE PALM was in order :(
    My buck did suffer some ground shrinkage but I happy with making a good shot on him, Double Lung.

Attached Files:

10. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    I am now tagged out on bucks , I arrowed another buck yesterday and it all went according to my master plan... I still cant believe it :) !!!!!

Made it back out to bowhunt yesterday morning, my husband went to where I shot my buck a few days ago and had a hot doe come in with 2 small bucks so he arrowed the doe :)

I choose another location and watched a hot doe get chased by 3 bucks but they never came close enough for a shot.

Christine headed to the other end of the property and arrowed a beautiful 10 pointer :) Her biggest buck to date YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we cut the tarsal glands off my Hubby Louie's hot doe and Louie and I both took one tarsal gland each to bowhunt with in the afternoon.
    Louie had 2 small bucks come into his hot doe tarsal gland and then he watched them spare but no shooters showed for up for him.

I tied the hot doe tarsal gland to my boot and laid down a scent trail walking in.
    I went to where I know the Doe's bed and I knew a buck would come to check the doe bedding spot to see if any of the doe's were in heat and would most likely approach the bedding area from the east since the wind was outta the west.
    Of course like everytime I try to sneak in this spot in the afternoon I blow the doe's outta there and once again this held true all 8 of the doe's and fawns busted outta there when I walked in. So as I begin to put my climber on the tree I had picked out when I see a doe and her 2 fawns circling back around coming back to their bedding spot so I picked up my bow and nocked an arrow as they slowly made their way to 24 yards in front of me I reliezed I cant shoot the doe if I want to buck hunt this evening sit since I only had one tag on me, so I let the doe and fawns wander off and held my tag for a buck.. but it was a neat experience none the less to have them so close on the ground while I was hiding behind my climber and the tree.

BUT... I had a master plan to hunt right next to the bedding spot and hang the hot doe tarsal gland right next to it on the west side of it with the tarsal hanging 5 feet off the ground just a few yards in front of me, that way the west wind would blow the tarsal scent right into the bedding area. I knew the bucks would come and check the doe bedding area and lead any bucks scent checking it right in front of me and provide me with cover scent. All the while the thicket above me had the the hot doe tarsal scent trail laid at the bottom of it so that way any bucks approaching me from above and behind in the thicket out cruising and scent checking would run into the scent trail and lead them right in front of me as well.

So about 20 minutes before sunset I see a buck approaching the doe bedding area from the south east and he goes straight into the doe bedding area and starts sniffing around on the ground smelling every doe bed all the while walking into the west wind, then when he is at 30 yards he caught the scent of my hot doe tarsal gland and begins to approach it, he passes behind a large tree so I draw my bow, then he begins to throw his head up and back, lip curling taking in the hot doe tarsal scent as he walks a few more steps he passes the young tree blocking my shot , All the while I am at full draw I am thinking I see lots of bigger bucks on this property and I could pass on this buck and hold out for a shot on a bigger buck, and I have taken lots of bucks bigger than him and they really didnt make me feel any better than this one was.... but how often do I get everything to go just as I planned it out, this buck was doing everything according to my master plan and I felt it was just meant to be, so I decided to take him and I knew I would be happy about it so I bleated to stop him settled my 20 yard pin on him and shot. The arrow found both lungs and stopped in him just short of exiting the opposite side behind the skin and I watched my Firenock light up in him as he busted outta there and went about 70 yards till he busted my arrow off on a tree he ran past, he stopped wobbled a bit and then fell over dead, as I watched it all from my climber.
    I was so excited after and I couldn't believe it all worked out just as I had planned, It was just another great day in the woods having a blast bow hunting.
    The Up Side to it all.... I told my husband that since I shot a smaller buck that it means there are just more big bucks out there for him to shoot ;) And now I can focus more on filming and doe hunting again :)

Attached Files:

11. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats once again Lady! Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

12. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Yep and Christines buck she killed here yesterday morning was awesome :) He had a 22 inch neck, big racked big bodied 10 pointer !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  13. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Lady! We really are rocking!

Anyone have an updated score for our team? Are we in the running now?

14. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I have us unofficially around 650 but that is guessing at scores for Travis and Deb's bucks. After the slammer you put down we could be pushing the top ranks. I have a good feeling there are at least a couple more good ones yet to come out of this group.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully I still have some December luck yet in me. You guys are doing great.

16. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting on Saturday all day... in Blaze Orange! Hoping all the pressure pushes these bucks into my area!

BowhuntOrDie!

17. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys, stay with it!

18. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Travis I noticed that the score you posted was missing a couple things and maybe needs a couple things corrected. Here is a good guide on how to score that someone posted a while ago, maybe you used it but your rack is different than most.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...l-Scoring-How-To-(Tutorial)&highlight=scoring

Here is what I see and I'll let you confirm.

Total Score: ???

Left Main Beam: 20 1/2
    G1:4--- H1:4
    G2:7 3/4--- H2:3 1/2
    G3:3 1/2--- H3:3
    G4: 0 --- H4: ???

Right Main Beam: 21

G1:5--- H1:4
    G2:7 1/2--- H2:3 3/8
    G3: 0 --- H3: ???
    G4: 0 --- H4: ???

Inside Spread:16 1/2

The circumference scores are measured differently on each side because he is a 4x3. The H4 on the left beam would be measured half way between the last tine and the end of the beam. The H3 & H4 on the right side are a little more tricky, depends on who you ask on how to score that side. I was taught to measure from the last tine to the end of the beam and then break that into thirds and measure at those points. So if it is 10 1/2" you would measure at 3 1/2" from the last tine for your H3 and then 3 .5 inches from the H3 line to the measuring point for the H4.

Congrats on a great buck, even better that he is your first with a bow!

19. Kabar5714

Kabar5714 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Were doing great just hope all my close encounters can turn into some meat and points.in the tree as we speak

20. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. Have you seen much rutting action in mass lately?