Team 22 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Heckler, Aug 25, 2012.

1. willhunt4food

willhunt4food Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    booner last night, 160"+ 8 pt today wow!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My cell cams are telling me the deer are really moving here. I am getting a lot of pics between 9 AM and 2 PM. Not sure if its the moon phase or things are starting to heat up a bit.

3. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck Reese !!!! Way to go man.

Dave

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck, my friend!! Best part is your boy being with you :)

5. Reese

Reese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Dave

My son and I had spent the morning and early afternoon grouse hunting ( to no avail )
    Around 3 pm I got a text from the landowner saying that the buck made an apprearance at his place that morning.
    I asked my son if he wanted to sit in the blind that afternoon, SURE daddy was his answer.
    So a shower and some sandwiches later we are all packed up and heading out at 1600.
    Get set up in blind and deer are moving all over the place. The blind is set up on a trail coming out of a bedding area ( one that I have only gotten does on trail cam )
    3 does come out of it around 1730, followed by a little fork horn buck. My son is asking me why I am not shooting the little buck....as I am trying to explain the reasoning I catch glimpse of antlers in the brush.....shhhhh I say
    The buck skirted the trail that the other deer followed,raking his antlers on a lone sapling approx 10 yards off trail.
    All the time I am just praying that he walks past the blind. He turns and walks straight at our blind...no shot..BUT if he turns and follows the trail the others took, it puts him at 18yards and 45 degrees away from me.
    He starts down the trail, apparently I thought I was thinking to myself.....focus....relax......breathe...over and over I am thinking this in my head.
    I draw my bow....focus, relax, breathe....the buck steps into the shooting lane and I hear from behind me...in a quiet voice......daddy....focus, relax, breathe..the pin settled on the spot....and off the arrow went.
    It hit the buck....mule kicked....and tore outta there like a scalded cat....Meanwhile...my son is trying to get out of the blind to see where it went....I grabbed him by his hoodie, sat him down, and he looked quizzically at me...then we heard the buck crash.
    Knowing I had made a good shot, we packed up, and went and retreived my arrow ( which I had texted a pic to PT ) lol....a short 50 yard blood trail we found him piled up.
    Its one of the best hunts I have had, being able to share that with my son, which I know it will be the 1st of many outings in the woods.
    Stay sharp, stay frosty out there guys. Keep hunting hard and they will fall.
    deer12 026.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. willhunt4food

Dislikes Received:
    nice buck reese! saw 8 does and filmed a couple 2yr olds tonight. sure wish the wind would die down a bit!

7. rack addict

rack addict Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chase is definitely on! Saw lots of bucks with there nose on the ground and others chasing does. Got this one on camera today at 1:15. Time for all day sits

[​IMG]

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to heat up here!

I had a encounter with the 12 pointer again this morning. This is the 3rd time I have seen him and the closest I have been to killing him. I rattled him in! I had him at 32 yards and he never presented a kill shot... Hard quartered to me in my shooting lane.... Watched him for over 30 minute tear crap up. He made a rub and a scrape right in front of my stand. Needless to say... I'll be back, sooner than later! :( I have named him Sr. as there is a younger buck that looks just like him other then he is a bit smaller. I have named him Jr. respectively...

9. rack addict

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday was the last day I could hunt possibly for the rest of the season. Had a descent 9 point come in and double lunged him. Put 96 1/2 points on the board for us. Not the one I was hoping to shoot but I needed to put some venison in the freezer. Were not shooting any does because the ehd was so bad this year. Here's the video of the hunt

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations and nice vid! Aren't all bucks worth 100 points in the contest? Don't sale yourself short. We greatly appreciate your contribution!

I pulled a all day hunt yesterday. The chase is officially on here in northeast Kansas! I watch 7 bucks, yes 7 run two does to death last night for over 45 min. Me being right in the middle of it all. I moved around freely and they could careless I was even there! I could have killed anyone of them multiple times. Still holding out for something bigger. I will be hunting everyday this week! I have to kill one of my target bucks before gun season gets here!

11. rack addict

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Heckler!

12. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    very nice rack addict!!!!

13. willhunt4food

Dislikes Received:
    sweet!!! haven't had any good bucks close, but i have shot 5 does. i'm still trying to get some more point for us.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Smoked a doe late morning. I took pics of this one to put some more points on the board for us!

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Score posted.

11162012_1.jpg

16. willhunt4food

Dislikes Received:
    congrats heckler!

17. Backwoodshunting

Backwoodshunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
  18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

19. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a Cole buck? Huh? Did you mean Fergie?

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man... You are all over it... What are you doing poking around in here? Are you nervous???? :)

BTW, went out last night and had 5 doe(s) blow by me at mach 2. Look up to see a monster barreling down on me. He about knocked the tree over I was in! Needless to say I couldn't stop him. I doubt I will see him again... I am sure he chased those chicks to china! :(